PDA

View Full Version : Connect wireless router to University ResNet Ethernet jack in Room

sahilcc7
23-02-2015, 12:30 AM
I'm wanting to create a wireless access point for my room at university accommodation. I have a D-Link 624S router. How do I configure it so that I can connect an ethernet cable from the wall to the routers WAN port and then use the network through the router?

When plugging the computer directly in, I get directed to a ResNet login page and then I can use the internet from there. I would like to connect my other devices to the network via the router.

Thanks for any help :)

Chilling_Silence
23-02-2015, 01:38 AM
Should just be able to set the WAN port to DHCP, change the IP range of your LAN-side (And the DHCP server on that D-Link) to something unique that the rest of the network won't be using, then be away laughing ?

sahilcc7
23-02-2015, 09:17 AM
I set the router WAN to Dynamic IP Address, the LAN has an IP Address, and DHCP is enabled. The IP address for the ethernet port when plugged directly from computer to ethernet jack is 10.x.x.x. When the router is plugged in, it is 192.168.x.x ---different to the network..?

I can connect to the router but no internet connection.

MushHead
23-02-2015, 12:05 PM
Just to be clear: are you talking about the computer's IP address in both cases above, or the router's WAN address in the latter case? Your settings sound sensible, but my first reading of your response implied that things were happening differently for the WAN port & direct computer connection, which would be a puzzle...

FYI, my son's Canterbury Uni hostel setup is not free, but hosted by Snap Internet via PPPoE; I set the router WAN side up according to Snap's instructions for a PC & it just worked - plus he gets pretty consistent 90Mb/s down & 50Mb/s upload speeds - I'd be a lot more jealous if he didn't have a data cap...

WarNox
23-02-2015, 12:33 PM
This NAT configuration is only required if they are restricting each port to 1 device. Since your router would be hiding all the devices behind it, all the traffic would appear to come from a single device.

Rather annoying for a sysadmin because there is no way to really combat this (afaik), unless you employ MAC address restrictions.

sahilcc7
23-02-2015, 03:53 PM
Just to be clear: are you talking about the computer's IP address in both cases above, or the router's WAN address in the latter case? Your settings sound sensible, but my first reading of your response implied that things were happening differently for the WAN port & direct computer connection, which would be a puzzle...

FYI, my son's Canterbury Uni hostel setup is not free, but hosted by Snap Internet via PPPoE; I set the router WAN side up according to Snap's instructions for a PC & it just worked - plus he gets pretty consistent 90Mb/s down & 50Mb/s upload speeds - I'd be a lot more jealous if he didn't have a data cap...

I'm talking about the IP address of the computer - reading from command prompt - ipconfig.

And I get 100mbps up and down unlimited!

sahilcc7
23-02-2015, 04:38 PM
I reset the router, disabled DHCP (some people said to do that online), then connected it to the ethernet jack, and I got this message when trying to load something:

"Your computer was not found in the PacketFence database. Please reboot to solve this issue.

If you have questions about this page, contact your local Hall of Residence support staff for assistance. Please provide the following information:

IP address: 10.2.16.1"

Any idea what this means?

KarameaDave
23-02-2015, 05:23 PM
When you connect to the resnet you enter user name and password, surely the router will have to also, to connect?

sahilcc7
23-02-2015, 06:30 PM
I've got it mostly working now. I read online that you can disable the DHCP server on the router, then connect the ethernet jack directly into a PC port on the router. Then I've got another cable going from PC Port #2 going into the PC. Now the only issue is WiFi. I have gotten my phone to connect after it says "connecting" several times. Other wireless devices however, say "connecting" and won't connect.

Chilling_Silence
24-02-2015, 11:08 AM
Right so it sounds like they're being clever, and you've gone and bridged your LAN (The router will be acting basically as a 'switch' at this stage).

You need to configure the Wireless to route out the LAN, so it possibly needs to be setup as a Bridge, rather than as a Station / AP / Router.