PDA

View Full Version : Email on Android?

Billy
19-02-2015, 09:12 PM
I have an XTRA account which I access with Thunderbird on my Windows PC. No problems.

QUESTIONS: Can I set Thunderbird (or similar) up on my Android Tablet and access my XTRA account?

Is there an alternative to Thunderbird for Android (as I can't seem to find a Thunderbird version for Android)?

Thanks.

PS BEFORE someone tells me TO GET GMAIL, I already have a GMail account!

gary67
19-02-2015, 09:27 PM
Use the default email app as it can be set up for anything. I'm not aware of any email program that downloads emails like Thunderbird does for Android.

Alex B
20-02-2015, 08:26 AM
The Yahoo Mail app will likely work with an xtra account, but yes probably best to just use the built in mail client.

John H
20-02-2015, 09:13 AM
I use Aquamail Pro on my Nexus 7, and it does everything I want, how I want it. Available from the Google Playstore. I have a Paradise (now owned by Vodafone) POP email account. I have the email client set to leave messages on the server, so they later get downloaded on my main computer for archiving or deletion (you can delete emails off the paradise server via Aquamail). It works just like Thunderbird. I can't recall the differences between the paid and unpaid versions.

John H
20-02-2015, 09:50 AM
(snip) I can't recall the differences between the paid and unpaid versions.

I think it was only some small vileness like appending one of those annoying "This email sent to you through Aquamail" or something similar. Only removable in the paid version. However, I thought it was worth paying for because it is such a well designed app and the author deserved recompense.

CliveM
20-02-2015, 10:26 AM
Just go to Settings- personal - accounts - add account. Select pop3 and put in your xtra settings and you are good to go. That works well for me I cannot see the point of trying to make things more complicated when the built in Android system already does everything you need.

dugimodo
20-02-2015, 11:00 AM
I know Samsungs added extras in android are not popular but I really like the Mail app on my Note3. The Gmail app works ok with multiple accounts on the phone but the one Samsung bundle just deals with multiple accounts better in my opinion. I use the combined inbox to check my mail and it's like it's just a single E-mail account but I can quickly switch to individual inboxes if I need to filter it. I also like being able to highlight an entire days mail at once for deletion or just ticking/unticking each mail then hit delete rather than the swiping them off one by one in Gmail. If I could get it from the play store I'd use it on my nexus as well.

Only complaint I have - I have a bad habit of checking my e-mail on whatever random device is most convenient, the phone, the tablet, the PC, the laptop. I use Windows live mail on the PC and Laptop, Samsungs mail app on the phone, and the Gmail app on the tablet. These apps don't play nice with each other, you tell one app to delete mail off the server when you delete it but it still magically reappears in another. Mail you mark as read on android comes back days later as unread after you use one of the PC's. This is pretty minor but a little irritating at times. I'm sure using a more consistant Email reading approach would be better in a lot of ways but I use the program I like best for each device rather than settling for example with Gmail across them all.

Alex B
20-02-2015, 12:10 PM
That sounds more like an issue of using POP3 rather than imap than an app fault.

20-02-2015, 01:19 PM
+1 for Aquamail (free version) .
use imap, NOT pop3 on the ph. for xtra email
http://www.spark.co.nz/help/internet/xtraordomainemailsettings/

CliveM
20-02-2015, 03:00 PM
+1 for Aquamail (free version) .
use imap, NOT pop3 on the ph. for xtra email
http://www.spark.co.nz/help/internet/xtraordomainemailsettings/

Xtra recommend pop 3 over IMAP and it works for me.

20-02-2015, 03:38 PM
Xtra recommend pop 3 over IMAP and it works for me.

pfft, extra recommends.

Lets not forget that xtra email is Yahoo Aus. B8gger all to do with telecom, they gave it to yahoo years back
Lets see what Yahoo say about their email
https://help.yahoo.com/kb/mail-for-desktop/learn-differences-pop-imap-sln3769.html
"IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol)
The default way a mobile device accesses your Yahoo Mail account."
:)

Not saying pop3 doesnt work, am saying with multiple devices accessing the same a/c, then imap is the better solution on you tab/ph
In fact, some may even be using imap on the ph without even knowing .
:thumbs:

Alex B
20-02-2015, 06:49 PM
Well they are wrong, pop3 is the wrong way to go about using email on multiple devices. POP3 should have died in the 90s.

gary67
20-02-2015, 07:05 PM
Imap with outlook takes forever as it continuously syncs. I used it for a while and went back to Pop3 with email left on the server after downloading to outlook so I can see them on my phone.

nmercer
21-02-2015, 07:05 PM
Download Outlook from the Google PlayStore