PDA

View Full Version : Boot configuration data on computer is missing or contains errors

mikelomb
19-02-2015, 02:27 PM
My current computer has been through several re installs from Windows 7 to 8 and now 8.1

I have two solid state drives and two Western digital HDD. All of them at one time had Windows installed on them. I have backed up my data on an external hard drive, and deleted the four drives by formatting them. The SDD drive I am using now was run through the software program disk kill.

http://www.killdisk.com/eraser.htm

I did a clean install of Windows 8 from the OEM disk. Installation is pretty straightforward compared to previous versions. However on the last install I ran into a problem. After loading the program and removing the installation disk, restarting the computer once installation was complete, resulted in the following error message.

Boot configuration data on your PC is missing or contains errors.
File\boot\BCD

If the installation disk remains in the DVD drive, Windows will start but I am presented with a page that asks me to choose which operating system to use, Windows 7, 8 (listed twice) or 8.1
If I choose 8.1 (the last installation which was an upgrade download from the clean install 8) the computer starts normally. It is a solution of sorts I guess, the installation disk needs to stay in the DVD drive.

Checking online there were several potential solutions

Bootrec/fixmbr
Bootrec/fixboot
Bootrec/scanos
Bootrec/rebuildbcd

That did not work

Then there is
Bcdedit

Windows boot manager device unknown
Windows boot loader device and os device items to set up unkown
Bcdeditg/set{default}device partition=c:
Bcdedit/set{default}osdevice partition=c:
Bcedit/set{bootmgr}device partition=c:

That did not work either.

I am guessing at this point, but I wonder if the drives I have their own boot manager partition still present despite formatting and disk overwriting.

I downloaded Minitool Partition Wizard 9 which is a free bootable program.

There is a lot of detail and tools available on the onscreen menu. I am getting somewhat lost here. But I did notice that three of the four disks have a MBR. This may be part of the confusion. There is option of deleting or hiding these. There is also the option on screen of rebuilding the MBR. I tried that first but did not solve the problem.

You can also just delete all the partitions on a given disk and that will get rid of everything. I suppose that is the option of saving the data elsewhere, cleaning up the two drives that do not need master book records, and reinstall my programs. The primary active SSD is just for the operating system and Windows Office and virus software.

Am I interpreting the problem correctly here?

wainuitech
19-02-2015, 03:28 PM
Are you wanting to Dual boot the others OS's as well ?

I am guessing at this point, but I wonder if the drives I have their own boot manager partition still present despite formatting and disk overwriting.
unless you wiped the hidden partition on the drives they will still be there and possibly why you are getting the options described. Simply formatting the C Drive wont remove the hidden partition that W7 onwards creates.

tommykw_wd
19-02-2015, 04:18 PM
Hi mikelomb,

I think you're right on the money there. As wuinuitech said, the hidden partition where the MBR resides (typically in the first sector of the disk) won't be removed by a simple reformat. Using that tool you downloaded might be the way to go for you, or if you're up to it, you can look into using Windows's Diskpart command. A quick google search would give you some instructions.

Good luck!

dugimodo
19-02-2015, 05:50 PM
The best and easiest way to do a clean install in your situation for future reference is to temporarily remove all drives but the one you want windows on, delete all partitions, and start over. When you install windows if it detects any previous hidden boot sectors it'll add them to the boot menu as you discovered but worse still it may decide to put your boot files for the new install onto one of those other drives. I've had it before where I've done a fresh install on a new drive then removed the old one only to find it had the boot files for my fresh install on it. MS should make all this a bit more obvious during installation I feel.

To sort it out now though you should try deleting the hidden partitions and editing the BCD menu - either from windows or use EasyBCD - which can also be used to restore the boot files in many cases. I like EasyBCD, it doesn't do anything you can't do manually or via windows tools but it makes it simpler.