PDA

View Full Version : Looking at SSD options

Nomad
14-02-2015, 01:00 PM
Hi all

What do you suggest? At the moment I have 2 HDDs so they will just be data, the SSD to be software and boot. The second normal HDD will just be a backup. I also have a external backup too or I could take it out.

1. The C: now is using a 100GB partition with 30GB free. 120GB be ok?
2. Do people install software on a different drive or on the SSD? OS on the SSD of course.
3. What are good drives, Intel 530? I heard Intel are more reliable. And what is a 20 or 25nM? Just SATA 6GB/sec?
4. What about mSATA is that for laptops or does a laptop need a different one? Looing at one for a PC and then maybe a laptop one later.

Cheers.

Speedy Gonzales
14-02-2015, 01:14 PM
120GB will be too low. It can fill up fast. Everything is on the SSD (which is on the other PC here).

But there's not a lot on it at the mo. Only Win8, Office, and the drivers. And a few programs (ccleaner etc).

The Intel 530's a few mths ago had firmware bugs. The SSD kept disappearing after reboots. Dont know if the issue has been fixed now tho

Msata has been taken over by M.2. Which I would say is faster. Only thing is, if you get one it can use 2 SATA ports (for its bandwidth, so / and you'll lose 2 SATA ports)

dugimodo
14-02-2015, 03:50 PM
Samsung EVO or Crucial M4, 120 is workable but can be a bit small for some people.

Nomad
14-02-2015, 07:24 PM
Cheers. We will still need a standard HDD due to large files. 1TB SSDs are still not cheap...

Ascent doesn't list Crucial M4, only M500/550 and MX110 .... (?)
Are the SSDs for PC and laptops the same?
Re: over time. With normal HDDs under everyday usage there wasn't much difference between SATA1 to SATA3. Does a similar thing exist with SSDs? Give it a few years would having a older SSD feel slow?

Speedy Gonzales
14-02-2015, 07:31 PM
Yup SSD's for PC and laptops are the same. If they're SATA. You could use one in both

Even if the port is SATA 2 it's still pretty fast, if you install a SATA 3 SSD

Probably I've only had the SSD in the new build since July last year. Haven't noticed an slowness YET

pcuser42
14-02-2015, 07:35 PM
You may need a cheap adapter to install an SSD in a desktop PC, although some cases come with a 2.5" drive bay these days.

sk69ersnz
14-02-2015, 07:36 PM
I bought this Friday http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=21553 plus adapter plate for my desktop.

Plugged it in and installed Windows easy as. After Windows install, 3 fairly large games and anti-virus etc there is still 400GB.
I'm so happy with the speed of it and it's a good price.

Nomad
14-02-2015, 08:51 PM
Just a final question.

I do photography as a hobby. Due to the sizes of the files in my photo database software. They will have to stay on the normal HDD. So if the SSD only contains the OS and the applications would I see a difference in photography or would the benefits only be with starting up the OS and opening applications?

Chilling_Silence
15-02-2015, 11:30 AM
You won't see a benefit in load-times when opening up images off your older drive, no. The benefit will be in running everything else.

dugimodo
15-02-2015, 12:19 PM
Ascent doesn't list Crucial M4, only M500/550 and MX110 .... (?)

Sorry dunno where that came from. Meant MX100 and a quick search makes it look like they have disappeared, perhaps the 110 is a newer version. The 128-512 GB MX100 drives were the best bang for buck option for a while, Samsung EVO cost slightly more but are far more popular and tend to be the first choice for a lot of people. Intel have a reputation for quality bt tend to be one of the most expensive. In practical terms you won't notice the performance difference between Current SSD's but you will definately notice how much faster than a regular hdd they all are.

I have a 256GB Samsung 930 EVO C: drive I've had for ages and recently added a crucial 512GB MX100 as a D: drive so I can install all my steam games on it. Next time I reinstall windows the larger drive will probably take over as my C:drive. SSD's are awesome, when you really notice how good they are is trying to use a PC without one once you've gotten used to it.