PDA

View Full Version : reset forgotten Win8 'live ID' login ?'

13-02-2015, 09:58 AM
Is it safe to remove a forgotten Win8 'live ID login' password ? using password removal CD's ?
I know its OK & easy on Win7,XP etc, but what about 8 using the Live login ?
Or do I need to reset the actual 'Live ID' a/c's password online ?

Do the usual password reset CD's work on Win8 with live logins (Im guessing no from what Ive been seeing from Google searches) , or do I need a newer one ?

Cheers

wainuitech
13-02-2015, 11:31 AM
Aint they fun :) For starters the reset password CD's / Programs etc WONT work on the sign-in Via email accounts.

The easiest way is using another computer, log onto the account Via a web browser, if you have forgotten the password then go through the process to recover it- go to the setting / Password options and change the current password to something new. Then go back to the PC causing problems and log in using the New Password, of course it will have to be connected to the internet.

Failing that -- there are other ways but try that first.

Also depends if you have a local account on the PC as well as the email sign in one. If you don't there's ways to get one ( hidden admin account), just a bit of mucking about.

Renegade
13-02-2015, 04:55 PM
This worked for me on Win8.1 using a Live Id login (http://www.tenorshare.com/products/windows-password-recovery-tool-ult.html), it doesn't change the actual Live Id password obviously, but probably a cached copy used for offline logins.

As a sidenote, people and passwords really tick me off! "I don't have one" "It automatically goes in" "No idea"..... arrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

wainuitech
13-02-2015, 06:01 PM
This worked for me on Win8.1 using a Live Id login (http://www.tenorshare.com/products/windows-password-recovery-tool-ult.html), it doesn't change the actual Live Id password obviously, but probably a cached copy used for offline logins.
Well that was a waste of a CD. Tried it on two W8.1's couldn't detect the System, tried it on W7 and at least it saw the system this time.

Renegade
13-02-2015, 07:15 PM
Bugger. When I tried it I thought no way will this work... but I must've got lucky. Haven't tried it on another system since.

wainuitech
13-02-2015, 07:21 PM
In W8.1 many people use the email log-in account. Its not actually required.
Theres actually two, the email and local account ( if its been created, most who have the email account dont have the local). Personally I dont ever setup the email account unless the person wants. none of our 8.1's here have email login's but do have passworded local accounts , which are required to log in automatically to one of the servers.

I've got a few different password changing, resetting software including Microsofts own, none of them yet have seen or allowed to change the email account, but the local - no problems.

What often happens is the email account prompts the password is incorrect, when in fact it is correct. Easy enough to bypass, just needs a few options changed ;)