PDA

View Full Version : Continual problems loading internet pages on laptop (timing out)

Misty
11-02-2015, 02:36 PM
We have been going around the south island for six weeks. At first we had no internet problems, but the moment we hit Canterbury they started. At first I blamed Canterbury but now have to acknowledge that this has nothing to do with the problem.
The laptop is well powered and runs Windows 8. Most, but not all of the time we have been using a T-stick, but sometimes cafes and libraries and friends connections. The problem persists no matter which combination we use in that most web pages time out and won't load with frequent tries. Only manage to get our home page (NZ City) and that not even all of the time, and infrequently the NZ Herald. Facebook comes up with no pictures and mostly no text at all. Other newspapers refuse to load. I have not been running any other programs whilst Firefox trying to get web pages (IE has exactly same problems). Have not tried Chrome yet but it certainly does not seem to be a browser problem. Programs such as Photoshop Elements and Excel run fine.

I have run Superantispyware and got rid of tracking cookies. Will shortly run Avast. I have looked at Task Manager but it shows modest (around 30%) of memory, etc in use. Have been trying to research on the net and will try a chkdsk.
Any other suggestions please ?
Jim

Misty
11-02-2015, 11:36 PM
I have since run chkdsk and also Avast but no results, so still a mystery.

Speedy Gonzales
11-02-2015, 11:42 PM
Is it a Telecom T-Stick? Spark were having mobile probs earlier. Would it go thru their network?

Here (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=11400371)

And here (http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digital-living/66065932/sparks-mobile-network-resumes-service)

Misty
12-02-2015, 08:56 AM
Hi Speedy - yes, it is a Telecom T-stick, however I have the same problem using cafe, friends and library broadband. It does not appear to be in any way a T-stick problem. It just relates to this laptop. Was thinking about it in the
middle of the night and convinced myself that it was the video card, however presumably it can't be as Photoshop Elements works fine.

Speedy Gonzales
12-02-2015, 03:35 PM
Could be a driver too. See if there's an update. Or update to 8.1. If 8.1 isnt on it now

Misty
12-02-2015, 07:35 PM
Hi Speedy - a driver for .... the USB ports ? or ....all drivers ? Re other suggestion about Win 8.1 we are already on that, thanks !

Lawrence
12-02-2015, 08:02 PM
Sure it's not Microsoft updates downloading? as if you have Office as well it was over 900Mb's for mine

Patch Tuesday

Edit, If you have a T Stick no doubt updates will be turned off

Misty
13-02-2015, 10:19 AM
Sure it's not Microsoft updates downloading? as if you have Office as well it was over 900Mb's for mine

Patch Tuesday

Edit, If you have a T Stick no doubt updates will be turned off

Thanks Lawrence - there is definitely a problem there. I have 19 updates but they won't download even manually. Am at home at the moment and have a 10 MG connection on my desktop. Am told that I have a connection for the laptop but Windows update tells me otherwise. I have rebooted the router but now am told that my connection at home is "limited". Thinking about it that was what I was continually told for the last fortnight whilst away from home that the connection at the cafe or library was "limited". Apparently from research on the web it may be that the laptop is trying to conserve energy and steps are set out to tell the laptop to change settings. However what I see on my laptop is different. Am getting closer (but so many hours have been spent on this already).

Misty
13-02-2015, 11:19 AM
Additionally I did try just downloading one update, in case it was the full 19 it is baulking at. But no joy as it would not even download one.

Lawrence
13-02-2015, 11:20 AM
Have you tried a Ethernet connection to see if there is a problem with your Wifi on your Laptop?

Check to see if your DNS settings are correct for your ISP

Alex B
13-02-2015, 11:33 AM
Is it a pretty new (4G) T-Stick. Spark's 3G network is not the fastest by any means now days, their 4G network is a huge improvement.

Misty
13-02-2015, 03:11 PM
Hi Lawrence - tried the ethernet connection but fine. Checked DNS settings. However in the end it was a system restore for a month back that has just finally solved the problem. Why, I don't know. About the only program change was a HP one. However thanks for all suggestions and for keeping me (relatively) sane ! :-)

Misty
13-02-2015, 03:19 PM
Is it a pretty new (4G) T-Stick. Spark's 3G network is not the fastest by any means now days, their 4G network is a huge improvement.
Hi Alex - as you will see my problem has been fixed with a system restore. Re the T-stick - it is a few years old and will certainly not be 4G. We are now thinking of finally getting a 4G smart phone to use, partly to replace the T-stick. I see Spark has $19 monthly plans, which is the same as for our current older cellphone, so that would suit. We go out at times in our motorhome for extended periods so their kiosks with free Wifi would be a useful addition.

Lawrence
13-02-2015, 03:39 PM
Good you have it sorted,no doubt was one of the software updates from HP

Be interesting to see if it comes through again later

dugimodo
13-02-2015, 04:20 PM
4G coverage will I'm sure improve but depending on where you live may not be worth it at the moment. I'm in Hamilton for example and have only ever see the 4G icon on my smartphone show up in one small area of the CBD and am stuck with 3G everywhere else. When I travel I just use the hotspot feature of the phone and connect my laptop to it via wi-fi. Works surprisingly well and 3G is fast enough for most things I find. I even do some online gaming over it.

I have a spark T-stick somewhere but stopped using it, not worth paying for both the smartphone and the T-stick in my opinion. When I bought it the phone was on vodafone but there was not very good vodafone coverage where I used it most often. Now I've switched the phone to spark it's no longer an issue. If you travel a lot and mobile internet is important to you it might be worth investing in both networks as they trade places as to who's best depending on where you are.

gary67
13-02-2015, 06:29 PM
Have watched tv on demand with no buffering using my 2D as a wifi hotspot

Misty
15-02-2015, 02:23 PM
Have watched tv on demand with no buffering using my 2D as a wifi hotspot
What is a 2D please Gary ?

gary67
15-02-2015, 02:52 PM
2 degrees

hueybot3000
21-02-2015, 04:50 PM
Sounds like it could be a DNS issue to me. A setting on your laptop may be ignoring Telecom's DNS and looking to your home ISP's DNS. Just a stab though..