PDA

View Full Version : Vista wireless - local only connection

berryb
10-02-2015, 09:03 PM
Have a home I just installed a new TP Link TD-W8960N ADSL Wireless N Router. Old device wireless failed on all devices.

With the new TP Link other devices connect wirelessly fine but the Vista laptop shows network as unidentified network and local only.

If wireless security is set to Open can connect fine. I have tried different security setting, WPA/WPA2/WPA and WPA2 mixed and all fail. An iPad can connect fine on any setting.

I have had this issue before and spent a lot of time trying to resolve and in the end changed to any other brand of modem and problem solved.

I will do the same again but thought I'd ask if anyone has any quick possible fix to try.

I will update the wireless drivers and will try any suggestions that I can do quickly otherwise I will try another modem.

Cheers

wainuitech
10-02-2015, 10:08 PM
Its not the Modem / Router.

Generally its a outdated driver problem in Vista. If that doesn't work try this : ( cant confirm the exact names as I don't have any Vista computers, OS is to old)

Open control panel > view network status and task > manage network connections > Here u will find ‘wireless network connections’. Bring its properties by right clicking > a box comes with tab ‘networking’. find ‘TCP/IPv6′ and UNCHECK it.

TCP/IP V6 can cause all sorts of problems.

berryb
11-02-2015, 10:12 AM
I remember now doing that on the other laptop I had an issue but didn't help but will try on this one as I had forgotten about that.

The other Vista laptop I had the issue with sometime ago took hours to try everything I could find on line and nothing resolved the issue until I changed the modem. It is still working fine today as far as I know.

Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
11-02-2015, 06:40 PM
Update the modem's firmware. (http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/details/?model=TD-W8960N#down) See if it makes a diff. Just make sure you get the right FW version !

Peter H
12-02-2015, 10:03 AM
Check what channel it is set to. My vista laptop would not pick up channel 11 - change to say 3 on the router.

berryb
25-02-2015, 08:13 PM
Update - no wireless NIC driver, modem firmware updates available. Changed the channel and made no difference.

Changed to a Netcomm wireless modem and works as expected.