PDA

View Full Version : iPad Photos transfer to Windows external hard drive

Bryden
10-02-2015, 07:55 PM
Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have my friend's iPad which has 6K+ photos. stored on it.... have bought an external hard drive and want to copy those photos. over and delete from the iPad.... have tried several times and my desktop (32GBRAM - W7 64bit Professional) keeps failing to copy them.... does a few and then stops working.... am I attempting the impossible or is there a way to do this?

Thanks for any help -

Bryden

ronyville
10-02-2015, 09:35 PM
How are you copying the files? drag and drop onto pc?

Bryden
10-02-2015, 09:50 PM
I have plugged the iPad into the PC - USB connection.... opened the DCIM folder on the iPad which shows all the 200+ folders containing photos. and then trying to copy to the external hard drive - Control A, Control C, Control V - it copies a few and then just hangs up....

wainuitech
10-02-2015, 09:58 PM
Try copying Less items at once., Eg: 5 folders.

CYaBro
10-02-2015, 10:01 PM
Yea had this same issue today with an iPhone.
Copy and paste a few folders at a time and it should work fine.

ronyville
10-02-2015, 10:02 PM
Create a folder on the desktop. Plug in the ipad. Right-click on the ipad under "Computer" and choose import pictures and videos". It will scan the ipad for all pictures and videos first. Then you will see a "import settings option" Point the images and video to that folder on the desktop and import. Ignore the tagging option. See if this helps.

Bryden
11-02-2015, 11:12 AM
I have tried just copying a few folders (4).... there are 201 folders and 25+GB of data.... even with just a few folders my Windows Explorer stops working.... If I try to do a backup my computer tries to save it to my C drive but there isn't enough space there - I do have enough on my partitioned F drive, but cannot find an option on iTunes to back them up to there - and even if I do, I will still need to copy them again to the external drive so double the trouble.... I am seriously thinking of giving up on this exercise.... any other ideas please?

ronyville
11-02-2015, 12:26 PM
Have you tried what I suggested? Create the folder on the F drive where you have space and then point the import settings to that.

Bryden
11-02-2015, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the steer to using Import.... I was able to go to Import Settings and copy the photos. that way.... it has just finished - and I started just after 11.00 am..... While it was copying I did not want to disturb anything so apologies that I did not reply sooner.... I copied them over to the external hard drive.... it did not copy the folders (of which there were 201) but copied all the individual photos.... yawn....

linw
11-02-2015, 10:32 PM
Whaaat, no folders?? Wow, what a mess. Can't imagine how anyone could handle 6,000 pics all jumbled up.

Bryden
12-02-2015, 08:10 AM
The photos. are all "dumped" into one folder.... I guess we could sort in date order which would group the various ones which belonged together.... personally I don't give a hoot - I am just happy to have copied them (thanks to the help from ronyville) - I have written the photos. to DVDs each time she returned from a cruise or holiday, so this is really just a back-up.... I suspect it may never be called into use.....

Words will be said about NOT repeating this exercise... grin

Bryden
12-02-2015, 02:24 PM
Spoke too soon - cannot access the Seagate drive.... bigger ruder words are being said.... as there are in the vicinity of 6000 photos. it would take me hours and hours to copy a few at a time.... any suggestions please?

wainuitech
12-02-2015, 03:11 PM
This is ONLY a suggestion ( use at your own experimenting risk) .

You can try this software http://www.phototransferapp.com/help/ipad/from_this_ipad_to_your_pc/ Just installed the windows Version on the PC, and that went fine. BUT cant try it any further as I dont have any iCrapple devices, only a mini iPod ( which I was given).

You may also find copying directly to an external drive is causing a problem. Had this happen many times when importing certain items on reinstalling a PC.

Bryden
14-02-2015, 01:04 PM
OK - finally got the photos. transferred to the external hard drive by doing a few folders at a time.... groan.... Now I want to delete them all off the iPad and it wont work - I can delete the photos. from the 201 folders (did I really say that.... sigh) but I cannot delete the empty folders, nor the DCIM main folder..... Any suggestions please? It gives a message that the device may be disconnected - which it isn't.... can I do this through iTunes? I am not familiar with that software (and actually have no wish to change that situation)....

I ended up 3 folders short and am not going looking for which ones.....

ronyville
14-02-2015, 03:43 PM
If you want to delete the photos, then you have to do it directly on the iPad. I dont think you can do it through the computer.

Bryden
15-02-2015, 11:13 AM
Yikes..... 6000+ I can open the folders on the PC and delete the photos. themselves but cannot remove the folders - empty or not..... sigh....