PDA

View Full Version : Reinstalling Win8.1

bk T
04-02-2015, 12:49 PM
As my PC is unable to play LightBox videos (as discussed in other post, and their helpdesk could not come out with a solution) and some other not too serous issues, I have decided wiped the disk and reinstall Win8.1; maybe it's high time for me to clean it up since this OS has been with me since Win8 was just released.

I just reinstalled my problem (temperature - over-heating) HP notebook computer, I noticed that Win8.1 created a 300 MB Recovery, and a 100 MB EFI System Partition; whereby in my desktop PC, Windows only created a 634 MB System , Active Partition - no recovery partition was created. Why is it so?

Well, the above is just for my information.

Here is my question re reinstalling:

I have a 120 SSD (obviously it's for my OS) , a 1 TB HDD and a 750 GB HDD for storage. Do I need to disconnect the two Storage disks before installing Win8.1 and put them back after installing, or it's OK to leave it there when installing?

I really don't want Windows to mess up my storage disks.

Cheers

Nick G
04-02-2015, 01:07 PM
If you point Windows to install on the 120GB SSD, it shouldn't touch the others.

bk T
04-02-2015, 01:14 PM
I afraid Windows may do something funny as to install other partitions like the 'Recovery' partition onto my storage disks! I don't seem to remember that Windows asked me about the 'Recovery' partition when I was installing it on my laptop.

Disconnecting those 2 storage disks of course is the safest way, but I may need to 'take ownership of' after reconnecting them back.

wainuitech
04-02-2015, 03:23 PM
Disconnecting those 2 storage disks of course is the safest way, but I may need to 'take ownership of' after reconnecting them back. You're correct in that thinking. If you disconnect the two drives then Windows cant do anything to them. The 300MB partition is standard, its installed by default.

As for taking ownership once reconnected, if they are only used as storage, eg No OS, you shouldn't have a problem unless you've assigned some sort of security permissions to the drives /Files.

The recovery partition and a 100 MB EFI System Partition???

If its a install from a factory reinstall, like the HP install, then yep, it will contain the recovery partition. If its a standard W8 / 8.1install from a DVD / ISO then it doesn't put in a recovery Partition.

If its a HP reinstall, you would find by booting from some partitioning software it may actually have 4-6 small partitions, remove any one of them and :yuck: you'll have problems.

bk T
04-02-2015, 04:45 PM
The recovery partition and a 100 MB EFI System Partition???

If its a install from a factory reinstall, like the HP install, then yep, it will contain the recovery partition. If its a standard W8 / 8.1install from a DVD / ISO then it doesn't put in a recovery Partition.

If its a HP reinstall, you would find by booting from some partitioning software it may actually have 4-6 small partitions, remove any one of them and :yuck: you'll have problems.

That's what it says in the Disk Management - 100MB EFI system partition! Yeah, it's a HP notebook PC, but I installed Win8.1 from my DVD install disk which I downloaded fromt the link given to me in your other post. I even tried it with another HDD not the HP hdd. Anyway, no big deal about it.

As for my main desktop PC, to be on the safer side, I'll disconnect the 2 storage drive and re-connect them later on.