PDA

View Full Version : No sound after graphics card meltdown.

fuzzee
03-02-2015, 07:48 PM
the fan had stopped working on the graphics card and then there was some smoke and according to my son some flames.

I removed the graphics card and reconfigured to use onboard video. Everything works but there is no sound.

I checked Device Manager and it says there are no problems. I plugged the speakers into the cellphone and they appear to be working OK.

Is there anything else I can check? I suspect the heat may have damaged something on the motherboard.

Other than that could I use a PCI sound card?

wainuitech
03-02-2015, 08:12 PM
You haven't mentioned what OS, but this is general, go into the control Panel / Sounds, under the Playback Tab, make sure the correct output is selected. Its possible the graphic card may have forced the nVidia settings to be activated ( as long as it was a Nvidia card). Also depending on what Audio software is installed ( HD) it may need the settings changed as well.

fuzzee
03-02-2015, 11:08 PM
OS is XP. Under Sound Playback the Default Device is Realtek HD Audio. Under the Advanced tab is Desktop stereo speakers which is correct. Still no joy. I assume the next step is PCI sound card if that would work or new motherboard CPU and ram.

pctek
04-02-2015, 07:00 AM
. I assume the next step is PCI sound card if that would work .

It will work. No need to replace the entire MB/CPU combo just for sound......flames, man that must have been hot!

Whenu
04-02-2015, 08:34 AM
It will work. No need to replace the entire MB/CPU combo just for sound......flames, man that must have been hot!
Special effects?

Agent_24
06-02-2015, 07:34 PM
the fan had stopped working on the graphics card and then there was some smoke and according to my son some flames.
This thread is worthless without pictures!

I removed the graphics card and reconfigured to use onboard video. Everything works but there is no sound.

I checked Device Manager and it says there are no problems. I plugged the speakers into the cellphone and they appear to be working OK.

Is there anything else I can check? I suspect the heat may have damaged something on the motherboard.If it has, it's more likely when the graphics card burnt up it shorted out and did something to your chipset or sound chip, But then it wouldn't be likely to still show up in device manager...

Have you tried reinstalling the sound card drivers?