PDA

View Full Version : CPU temperature

bk T
01-02-2015, 08:00 AM
I'm running this CPU stress test using BurninTEst V7.1 Pro Evaluation Version - Max temperature recorded was ~75 degC, looks pretty good!

But Hardware monitor126x64 shows it's 105 deg C! Which should I think is correct?

I just replaced the CPU heatsink fan with a new one for this HP laptop; I have also clean the old thermal paste and re-applied new paste and it's running very cool - I could feel it from the air vent outlet.

Chilling_Silence
01-02-2015, 09:18 AM
I'd suggest it's probably the 75 degree one.

Try grabbing Speccy to compare:
http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download/standard

bk T
01-02-2015, 10:03 AM
I think something is not right - Speccy shows this:

It's idling at almost 100 deg C ?

bk T
01-02-2015, 12:02 PM
Dismantled everything, redo the thermal paste, put it back, run BurnInTest, passed with - ~74 C but Speccy showing 123 C runing side by side.

This lapie was running very hot (I could feel it) and upon dismantling, found that the fan was not spinning freely and the vent clogged up with dust. Now the fan has been replaced with a brand new one, vents all cleared; and it's running very cool, from my physical obsersation.

Any explanation?

dugimodo
01-02-2015, 12:59 PM
Not all hardware works with all generic monitoring software, see if you can find a CPU temp in the BOS to see a better indication of the idle temps and use whatever monitoring software agrees the closest with that.
You could also see if the laptop manufacturer has software that'll do the job. If it was actually hitting 123 it would have shut itself down I'm pretty sure.

bk T
01-02-2015, 01:35 PM
There's no temperature reading in the BIOS - it's just a very simple and basic BIOS Hp machine.

I actually bought this machine with over-heating issues as I was thinking the very most, just change the cooling fan and cleaning up should fix the problem.

Anyway, I only paid $30 for this HP Pavilion G6-2208ax with the following specs:

Just over 1 year old, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, AMD A6-400M APU with Radeon HD graphics 2.70GHz, Windows 8.1

On top of the $30, I also bought the heatsink fan online for $15 with freight included; all in uder $50.

BBCmicro
01-02-2015, 02:37 PM
For what it's worth, Core Temp gives the same figure as Speccy on my system (picture)

(I hadn't met Speccy before. I was hoping it would give a lower reading than Core Temp. I've accidentally been running my CPU at 96 according to Core Temp)

bk T
01-02-2015, 09:24 PM
Could it be that the sensor of the CPU is faulty, not giving the correct temperature?

I'm running Furmark CPU burner right now, and Speccy is reading 132 Deg C (LOL) ; the fan is working correctly (from the sound it generates and air flowing out). The machine is not even hot, reasonably warm.

If the temperature reading is correct, the CPU could have shut down the machine at this temperature, right? Have been running for 40 minutes, now.

Agent_24
02-02-2015, 07:44 PM
There's no way it would be operating properly at 132 degrees. It would be cooking to death.
Unfortunately, a lot of brand-name computers, especially laptops, have hopelessly inaccurate or inaccessible (via software) temperature sensors which mean the readouts never make sense or you don't even get one.

In a laptop the temperature and fan control are all read and handled by the BIOS or EC, and it is expected that you don't care and don't need to know what they are.

Another thing that can be the case, when you have one temperature that makes sense and another that makes no sense (in the same software, probably not in your situation) is the fact that the hardware monitor chip is often capable of reading more sensors than they hook up to it. One might be a valid temperature and the rest garbage. But if the software knows the chip supports X amount of inputs, it often tries to read all of them.

I have a board on which monitoring software measures CPU and ambient temperature very sensibly, but also displays a third, 'non-existant' readout of -128 degrees...

if you want to get really pedantic, buy a thermocouple probe and stick it under the heatsink.

Terry Porritt
02-02-2015, 09:32 PM
Getting really pedantic some ten years ago I bought some 0.5mm thermocouples from RS, drilled a 0.6mm hole through the heatsink, bonded a thermocouple in and lapped the surface flat so that the TC would be in contact with the CPU surface.

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?52362-CPU-temperature

The TC results are towards the end of the thread......if you get that far...........:)

03-02-2015, 09:50 AM
I have a board on which monitoring software measures CPU and ambient temperature very sensibly, but also displays a third, 'non-existant' readout of -128 degrees...

This . :thumbs:
Some hardware monitor software simply doesnt work correctly with some temp sensors . Even the sensible reading could be wrong .
The system should just shut down when it gets too hot anyway (but some dont for whatever reason) . One way or another , the laptop will stop working when too hot, either till it cools off or forever .

PPp
03-02-2015, 08:43 PM
For what it's worth CPUID HW Monitor gives me the same results a the BIOS in my old dual core.

BBCmicro
03-02-2015, 09:57 PM
I found the probable cause of my 96 (picture)

It's just over 2 years since I assembled this machine. Time sure goes fast when you're getting on in years...

Agent_24
03-02-2015, 10:14 PM
Well at least the filter did its job! Cleaning all the crap off everything else is even worse...

But yeah, you have to clean them pretty often.