PDA

View Full Version : Batch convert mp4 to .mov

Aporosa
29-01-2015, 02:48 PM
Hi,
I have 2 interns who want to edit video on iMovie (Apples equivilent to MS Movie Maker). All the video they have been given is HD mp4 and the iMovie will not import it. I suggested converting it to high qual. .mov You may have other opinions.

They did a bit using a free converter but it was slow and the quality was poor and voice lost sync. Can anyone suggest a quality batch converter please - mp4 to quality .mov? that can handle large files and is iMovie user friendly. I feel sorry for these guys becuase they have been given a lot of poor advice and have wasted a lot of time.

Suggestion please. Thanks, Apo

Webdevguy
29-01-2015, 04:00 PM
Hi,
I have 2 interns who want to edit video on iMovie (Apples equivilent to MS Movie Maker). All the video they have been given is HD mp4 and the iMovie will not import it. I suggested converting it to high qual. .mov You may have other opinions.

They did a bit using a free converter but it was slow and the quality was poor and voice lost sync. Can anyone suggest a quality batch converter please - mp4 to quality .mov? that can handle large files and is iMovie user friendly. I feel sorry for these guys becuase they have been given a lot of poor advice and have wasted a lot of time.

Suggestion please. Thanks, Apo
Handbrake would be worth a look. It is free but I'm not sure if it will do bulk conversions

wainuitech
29-01-2015, 05:06 PM
There's plenty Of Converters about. Some sites have free give aways for usually paid software for a select time, have a scroll through ( look at all of them) http://giveawayradar.weebly.com/ and theres some listed.

One that works reasonable is Format Factory -- its free BUT if you get it WATCH OUT when installing, it wants to add in adware, you can untick the options but you need to pay attention and LOOK :stare: whats being installed. http://www.pcfreetime.com/ Not to sure if it does batch or not, never tried more than one but should be able to.

Some converters work better than others. Any good converter will be slowish, the fast ones often end up in poor quality output.

plod
29-01-2015, 05:19 PM
for the mac smart converter is the bees knees, the pro version even better, but before you start spending money try and import the movie through iphoto first, then from iphoto to imovie.
just a note from wainuis post, smart converter will only convert what needs to be convertered, so if just the container is wrong then it will just change that

wainuitech
29-01-2015, 05:19 PM
Add to above,YES Format Factory Will do Batch Conversion.

Aporosa
29-01-2015, 05:42 PM
Thanks guys. Legend. Will pass on information. Greatly appreciated!! Apo

wainuitech
29-01-2015, 06:08 PM
Just found the program Plod suggested, downloaded the windows version, seemed to work good on a 800MB+ movie MP4 -> MOV. :)

http://www.shedworx.com/ Look under Products for the version you want.

plod
29-01-2015, 06:15 PM
Just found the program Plod suggested, downloaded the windows version, seemed to work good on a 800MB+ movie MP4 -> MOV. :)http://www.shedworx.com/ Look under Products for the version you want.I don't buy much software,but this one has paid for itself many times over. $19 for the pro version. The free one is fine if only Using it occasionally

Paul.Cov
30-01-2015, 07:02 PM
I don't buy much software,but this one has paid for itself many times over. $19 for the pro version. The free one is fine if only Using it occasionally

I've been swearing by Super for years.
Search for Super Video Converter.
Super is a front end that simply works with 3rd party freeware apps to convert among a wide range of formats.

Learning to use it can sometimes be tricky for novices.

Also beware all the crapware that gets listed on the numberous pages before you get to the download link, and beware any additional bundled crapware (there's an opt-out during the installation if you're carefull).

Once you get the app it is well worth it.

plod
30-01-2015, 08:40 PM
I've been swearing by Super for years.
Search for Super Video Converter.
Super is a front end that simply works with 3rd party freeware apps to convert among a wide range of formats.

Learning to use it can sometimes be tricky for novices.

Also beware all the crapware that gets listed on the numberous pages before you get to the download link, and beware any additional bundled crapware (there's an opt-out during the installation if you're carefull).

Once you get the app it is well worth it.
Yep used that in my windows days, but not for long. How to complicate a simple task. Smart converter simple drag and drop hit the preset and done. We Mac users are simple people that like simple programs