PDA

View Full Version : Bummer...After 22 years.............

Billy T
29-01-2015, 02:16 PM
My business email address has finally been harvested, no doubt from one of my past correspondents, and I am now seeing an inceasing amount of bounced spam coming back to my inbox. The syntax of the messages suggests a non-english speaking source.

Fortunately I do not have to download the returns as I screen all incoming with Mailwasher, then delete them direct from the server Orcon), but I can't blacklist them as that would stop all messages to my address, whether legit, spam, or nasties!

I can't change my email address, but is there anything I can do to reduce the flow of bounced messages?

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :groan:

Terry Porritt
29-01-2015, 02:40 PM
Try adjusting the Orcon spam filter: https://www.orcon.net.nz/support/gfaq_page/how_do_i_use_the_orcon_spam_filter

Billy T
29-01-2015, 05:05 PM
Try adjusting the Orcon spam filter: https://www.orcon.net.nz/support/gfaq_page/how_do_i_use_the_orcon_spam_filter

Thanks Terry, but might not that treat my business address as spam and block all incoming?

My email address is shown as the initiating source so unless they have some smart filters that can unravel the spoofing of my address, I might end up with my domain name and associated email address being useless, which in turn would put me out of business.

I've looked at the Orcon spam filter and conversely, it appears to me that if I whitelist my email address then nothing will change, but if I black-list it, I lose the use of that DN address because surely the spam filter will block all emails apparently from that source address?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.......................:waughh:

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Safari
29-01-2015, 07:17 PM
You are getting the undelivered notifications which are not spam so no point in trying to filter them
There is nothing you can do to stop spammers using your email address to send out spam but hopefully they will move onto someone else before too long.

You should really be using a domain email address if it is for business as you have a bit more control over the format of the email address itself.

Billy T
03-02-2015, 12:28 PM
You are getting the undelivered notifications which are not spam so no point in trying to filter them.
There is nothing you can do to stop spammers using your email address to send out spam but hopefully they will move onto someone else before too long.

You should really be using a domain email address if it is for business as you have a bit more control over the format of the email address itself.

Ummm.......Firstly, I am not getting 'undelivered' notifications, I am receiving this spam on my own address i.e. it is being delivered into my business inbox on my email provider's server. I check all incoming before downloading via Mailwasher (which is correctly flagging it as spam) so I am able to delete it without downloading. It hasn't turned up in my private email address as yet.

Secondly, I am using a domain name address, so what are the alternative format options?

Current address is 'my name'@partner1-partner2.co.nz

Partner #1 is long gone from the business and I'm a sole trader, but I didn't see any point in changing the email address or company name.

Two barrels suggest more firepower than one, even if the other barrel isn't loaded :D

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

03-02-2015, 12:56 PM
Ummm.......Firstly, I am not getting 'undelivered' notifications, I am receiving this spam on my own address

and I am now seeing an increasing amount of bounced spam coming back to my inbox......
but is there anything I can do to reduce the flow of bounced messages

???
undelivered & bounced the same thing ??
Anyway, apart from spam filtering, there is nothing you can do. Once you are on a spammers email list , its there forever & the list will be sold to other spammers.
As one spammer gets shut down or gives up, another pops up . Just the way it is. The only way to truly protect an email address is to never use it :-)
Does Orcon have a Greylisting option ?
You could try a Spamfiltering service , such as Spamblocker.

Unless its totally out of control, just live with it, delete the few spams/bounces as get past the spamfilter . Setup a rule in outlook to filter anything with 'undeliverable', bounced etc in the message .
Setup junk gmail a/c & use that on all the sites etc that may want an email adress for whatever reason.
If you have a webpage, make sure your actual email address is not visible anywhere on your website .

Billy T
09-02-2015, 04:15 PM
???
undelivered & bounced the same thing ??
Anyway, apart from spam filtering, there is nothing you can do. Once you are on a spammers email list , its there forever & the list will be sold to other spammers.
As one spammer gets shut down or gives up, another pops up . Just the way it is. The only way to truly protect an email address is to never use it :-)
Does Orcon have a Greylisting option ? You could try a Spamfiltering service , such as Spamblocker. Unless its totally out of control, just live with it, delete the few spams/bounces as get past the spamfilter . Setup a rule in outlook to filter anything with 'undeliverable', bounced etc in the message . Setup junk gmail a/c & use that on all the sites etc that may want an email adress for whatever reason. If you have a webpage, make sure your actual email address is not visible anywhere on your website.

I have long had a Gmail account to use for any suspect correspondent, and I don't have a web page. If it doesn't get worse, I'll live with it, but I am bemused by the fact that I am actually receiving spam with my own address as the originator, when the self-same address is also the destination. I can't take the risk that any action I took might simply dump all my legit incoming business mail on my domain name address down some digital black hole. Greylisting, Blacklisting or Spamblocker could potentially tag my business email for client users and cut my communication with them.

The saving grace is that I am not downloading any these spam emails. I screen all incoming mail on Mailwasher, so in each instance I simply check the content of the email to make sure there isn't a remote chance that it is something I actually want (so far it has all been spam) and then delete it. I can also view the complete header etc and see the content of any attachment so it is not hard to play safe.

It is a bit of a Catch-22 situation whereby I'm definitely damned if I do take action, but at much lower risk if I don't, so filtering at source is probably the safest option and I'll just have to keep on screening I guess. Bugger.......... :annoyed:

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :waughh: