PDA

View Full Version : is it possible to run two wireless routers?

ajb
27-01-2015, 01:12 PM
hi
We currently have a wireless router situated on the top floor of our house, unfortunately our devices cannot pick up on this while on the bottom floor? is it possible to run a second wireless router downstairs (using same broadband connection)? or should i attach a modem to our pc upstairs and then run wireless router downstairs? would either of these things work???

psycik
27-01-2015, 01:33 PM
hi
We currently have a wireless router situated on the top floor of our house, unfortunately our devices cannot pick up on this while on the bottom floor? is it possible to run a second wireless router downstairs (using same broadband connection)? or should i attach a modem to our pc upstairs and then run wireless router downstairs? would either of these things work???

yes. Although you can just buy a new Wireless AP (different type of device) it's almost cheaper to use a wireless 4 port router (and then you can also use the wired connections at a later date).

If connecting two routers together on the 2nd router, Fix the internal ip address, turn of dhcp and the firewall and use a LAN port - not the WAN port. It should then act as a switch. Then you can either create a new wireless network (different SSID) or use the same SSID as your bottom floor and select a different channel.

This may help with my shortened explanation: http://www.speedguide.net/articles/how-to-set-a-wireless-router-as-an-access-point-2556

ajb
28-01-2015, 09:35 AM
ok so that totally confused me as i'm not overly computer savvy - my have to get someone in! lol

wainuitech
28-01-2015, 10:06 AM
One way, which is basically what was previous mentioned, but it does read rather awkward if you're not up with the terminology ;)

You can run a Ethernet cable from the current router upstairs to a wireless access point downstairs. The hardest part will be running a cable, esp if you want it hidden.

The wireless access Point will then supply wireless for downstairs. had a look to find a basic picture ( found this one) Think of it as your router upstairs access point downstairs.

Got one of these netgears in the workshop, it has 4 ports as well to attach other items if you want: http://www.netgear.co.nz/business/products/wireless/soho-wireless/ the Router is in the house about 20 odd mtrs away, Ethernet cable runs underground.

The other way if you dont want to run a cable is use whats called EOP ( Ethernet over Power) you plug in one Adapter to the power socket beside the Router, and connect to 1 of the router ports, then where you want the Access point, plug in the other EOP adapter, then plug in the access point to that.

Again a picture:

Both options need to be setup, they are not simply plug and go.

Cables cheaper as the top picture, just a bit harder to hide the cable or if you have concrete floors its a PITA. :)