PDA

View Full Version : Ccleaner query

Woody
26-01-2015, 11:34 AM
I periodically run Ccleaner to get rid of a bit of accumulated junk but I have a bit of concern about what I can safely delete.
I don't have too much problem with the initial run as most of this is recognisable as unnecessary - temp files etc.
I am a bit scared though when I run a scan of the directory. How much of the detected stuff is it safe to delete?
I'm not sufficiently well up with what's safe to remove and what's better left alone.
So far I scan it but then close down and have cup of coffee.

Thanks for any suggestions.

rumpty
26-01-2015, 12:07 PM
Routinely, I have Temp files, Clipboard, Checkdisk fragments, memory dumps, and Adobe Flash Player checked. All that stuff is regularly deleted. On a less regular basis, Firefox and IE caches, history, cookies, index.dat are deleted as well.

pctek
26-01-2015, 12:58 PM
Delete anything it finds.....they all err on the side of caution and never clean out all the clutter anyway, certainly they don't delete anything important.

Woody
26-01-2015, 04:17 PM
Delete anything it finds.....they all err on the side of caution and never clean out all the clutter anyway, certainly they don't delete anything important.

Thanks guys,
I stuffed up in my original - I said a scan of directory! Sorry about that - I meant a scan of the registry not directory.
There is a heap of stuff shown when the registry is scanned - is it safe to delete this?
Sorry about the double up - age catching up!

Renegade
26-01-2015, 05:37 PM
I leave the registry part unticked. It somehow nuked a whole bunch of network entries on a client's laptop, and naturally he didn't make a backup before cleaning. That was fun.