PDA

View Full Version : App disagrees with Device Manager - Is this a Registry problem?

BBCmicro
22-01-2015, 03:44 PM
Here is my latest email from Intel in my long-running saga over an Intel update that put my Widi out of action:

>>>
We are communicating with you because we got the results from the analysis and everything seemed to be OK except the wireless driver currently installed on the computer because the WiDi software is still detecting that the driver installed is V 15.2 instead of V 15.13 (see below a part of the logs results)

13:59:11:528,[t:0x1c14] : WFDDnSInit - WiFi Driver Version Check enabled : 1 [L=6][M=WFDDNS][F=WFDDnS.cpp: 3095]
13:59:11:528,[t:0x1c14] : WFDDnSInit - WiFi Driver Version 15.2 [L=6][M=WFDDNS][F=WFDDnS.cpp: 3098]
13:59:11:535,[t:0x1d04] : processor name: Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9 [L=6][M=utils][F=pdl.cpp: 266]

We also recommend you to check if the antivirus or Firewall is interfering or blocking the application.
Another possible suggestion is to set the router with a fixed channel like 3 or 11 so we can discard the option that the wifi channel is interfering with the WiDi channel.
>>>

Well I checked Device Manager and it says V15.13

I even reinstalled it and checked again. Device Manager gives the correct version V15.13 (and today's Install Date) - the new runtime log is the same as before and gives the 'generic' driver V15.2 (the one that gets automatically installed on reboot if I delete what's there)

So it seems Device Manager and Widi report differently

I am wondering if it is due to registry corruption - and if it is, what I should do about it. Or does it suggest something else

(Due to the time difference and Customer Support having to forward emails to their experts, it takes about a week for a reply-answer session. I'm wondering if I should give up and re-install Windows. I haven't done it for over 2 years but I dread the thought)

KarameaDave
25-01-2015, 11:09 AM
Have you tried removing the old driver with something like revoinstaller?
Or you could repair the registry (assuming that is the source of the issue)
I'd try CCleaner to do that.
Otherwise a trawl through the registry manually.

BBCmicro
25-01-2015, 04:41 PM
Hi Dave - I ran CCleaner and it didn't do anything for Widi

But -

it freed up 3.3 GB on my Cdrive!

My SSD is only 128 GB and it's a constant struggle to stay within it - so thanks

BBCmicro
03-02-2015, 12:18 PM
"Please accept our apologies for the delay on this resolution, we have just escalated this case again and we are hardly working on it"

While they were "hardly working" on the problem I discovered an old installer file for Intel HD Graphics 4000 from mid 2013. Installed it and it worked! My Widi has come right and no longer freezes after 10 seconds.

The lesson is always keep your installer files - I think I learned it on this site

(The reason that the run-time log and Device Manager report different things is presumably an error in the logging software)

Dave - thanks for the tip on RevoUninstaller. It didn't work in this case but looks useful. Unfortunately some programs don't show up in it. Any idea why that should be so?

pctek
03-02-2015, 01:15 PM
"

The lesson is always keep your installer files

The lesson is Rule 1: Don't fix it unless it's broken.
About the only driver I ever update is graphics, and then not always....

Revo is best when used to monitor an install - thus it knows what to uninstall later....

BBCmicro
03-02-2015, 02:13 PM
In my case it was a little broken. My Widi works fine on full HD but the sound is not great. I was trying to quit the sound and send it myself via Bluetooth

How does Revo monitor an install? By just having it going when doing an install? Or is it a paid option