PDA

View Full Version : Cloning HardDrive

DeSade
16-01-2015, 04:03 AM
I can't get Acronis True Image to work (which came with the drive)

Can anyone point me to some free/cheap cloning software, I really need to replace my C Drive.

gary67
16-01-2015, 06:34 AM
The trial of active@ lets you make a bootable flashdrive to do that.

wainuitech
16-01-2015, 07:57 AM
I can't get Acronis True Image to work (which came with the drive)

Is there some sort of error message, or simply doesn't work ?

DeSade
16-01-2015, 09:11 AM
acronis loader fatal error boot drive (partition) not found

I looked it up but I cannot follow the fix as I have no idea where my Win7 CD is after 5 moves.

wainuitech
16-01-2015, 11:58 AM
acronis loader fatal error boot drive (partition) not found

I looked it up but I cannot follow the fix as I have no idea where my Win7 CD is after 5 moves. What I suspect has happened is Acronis has not cloned the boot partition, LOTS of software doesn't always copy the hidden partition.

If you want to download your W7 Version from http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/ They are legit ISO's, you would still need your own product key to install.

Then follow what ever instructions you have, the ones from the following - http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/32523/how-to-manually-repair-windows-7-boot-loader-problems/ Use the startup repair first, that often fixes it.

Failing that what Gary posted will work, as you can clone or image the complete drive.

DeSade
16-01-2015, 12:32 PM
i want the entire c drive copied to a new SSD, this is not for backup or anything
i do not relish reinstall of terrabytes of games.

wainuitech
16-01-2015, 01:24 PM
i want the entire c drive copied to a new SSD, this is not for backup or anything
i do not relish reinstall of terrabytes of games. Windows 7 has a hidden partition that contains boot guff ( technical term eh ) :D anyway, Some cloning software wont see or clone the hidden partition, hence one possible reason it wouldn't boot and you got the error message.

In reality, ( stay with me now -- Geek stuff) When Windows installs, the hidden partition is actually C the working drive partition is D. but because by default the first partition is hidden, then windows will see D as C, and label it as so.

To prove it, (if you want) open a command Prompt by clicking start, type in CMD right click run as administrator.
WARNING::stare::stare: type ONLY in bold what I put, pressing enter afterwards, type something wrong and you can wipe everything faster than saying oops, there are no "are you sures"

Type Diskpart

Type List Disk

You'll see all the drives listed, select the main HDD by number if you have more than one, in this case mines drive 0
Type Select Disk 0 ( you'll get a confirmation)
Type list Partition There you will see the hidden partition of roughly 100MB as well as the actual working partition.

Type Exit

Type Exit ( again) to close it.

If you want to copy only the C drive, to work, you'll need to take the hidden partition as well, Going by what you have written, do you have more than one partition on the HDD ? Eg: main drive then partitions containing other data OR how is it all laid out ( screenshot of HDD would help)? Disk cloning software usually will take only the whole drive.

Another option is to use AOMEI Partition Assistant - That has a Migrate to SSD option, but its the whole drive not single partitions. http://www.disk-partition.com/free-partition-manager.html Never actually tried it on a SSD, always used active@ ( as gary posted)

If you have a couple of partitions on the drive that you dont want cloned, it can be done easily enough, but takes a couple of extra steps.

DeSade
16-01-2015, 01:57 PM
My C Drive is a 80Gb SSD and I use the entire drive as C.
I have a 250GB drive to swap to as my 80 is full which the entire drive will also be C

No partitions (that I created) on either drive they are both just C drive

So I want the entire contents a exact copy of the 80gb on the 250gb
everything exactly the same and in the same place just with the 170GB of extra space

Not sure this is needed but as for the rest

D = Mainly utilities and MY Docs folder is also on D 2TB Partitioned into 1.7TB and 300GB)
E = Games (full disk 2TB not partitioned)
F = Media (Full disk (2TB not partitioned)
G = Media (Full disk 2TB not partitioned)
I = Backup (300GB physically partition from D)

My new C Drive is currently residing in a hard drive caddy attached to a USB port.

wainuitech
16-01-2015, 02:16 PM
Either Active@or AOMEI Partition Assistant should do it then, its free.

On AOMEI, there is an option to migrate to SSD: See pic, if you look at the bottom sections in green you can see the hidden partition on the main drive as well.

Just a suggestion, if I were doing it, I would disconnect all the drives with the exception of the Main Drive and the SSD --- its a real bugger if you clone to the wrong drive by mistake -----:rolleyes: Whistles

DeSade
16-01-2015, 02:27 PM
I will try AOMEI then
a push button like that looks nice and simple.

I have all my HDD's carefully labelled and I am very careful with my clicking. unplugging them all would be a nightmare.

DeSade
17-01-2015, 12:47 PM
AOMEI crashed and burned same as Acronis.....
But I think I understand why.

I believe the HDD caddy I have my new SSD in is not being recognised when these programmes reboot into their shell modes.
Going to have to open it up and plug it directly in I think.

wainuitech
17-01-2015, 01:12 PM
Errr Yeah, you dont try to boot from the USB drive/Caddy. The USB Cagddy is only used as a location for transferring the original to the SSD. Once its transferred then you remove the SSD and plug it in Via its SATA ports, after removing the original HDD.

If the programs wont see the caddy, than attach the SSD via SATA.

Just did one last night using AOEMI ( Windows 7) , wasn't to a SSD, but it was a STD 3.5" HDD going to a laptop Drive, booted fine afterwards.

mzee
17-01-2015, 01:18 PM
Acronis 11 and Echo show the hidden boot partition (100Mb). Also have cloning facility, you can chose the partitions you need to clone.
What version of Acronis do you have? If its a free one it may be for back up images only.
Acronis Echo also has 'Universal Restore' which will transfer a system image to another computer. Very clever, replaces or removes any unsuitable drivers to prevent it crashing, you can just replace the missing drivers and it works fine.
Example: I transferred Windows 7 Pro from a Dell Vostro to an Acer Laptop which had Windows 7 Home on it originally.

DeSade
17-01-2015, 01:55 PM
Errr Yeah, you dont try to boot from the USB drive/Caddy. The USB Cagddy is only used as a location for transferring the original to the SSD. Once its transferred then you remove the SSD and plug it in Via its SATA ports, after removing the original HDD.

If the programs wont see the caddy, than attach the SSD via SATA.

Just did one last night using AOEMI ( Windows 7) , wasn't to a SSD, but it was a STD 3.5" HDD going to a laptop Drive, booted fine afterwards.

I didn't

These programmes are forcing me to reboot and before windows reloads they start up some kind of programme shell thing.
It is this that is not seeing my drive in the caddy.

Either way I need to plug it in when I have some time.

Acronis True Image HD came with the SSD Mzee

wainuitech
17-01-2015, 02:58 PM
If the Caddy for what ever reason is not detected, then that wont help :p

The drive enclosures I use are a cheap Digitus data-storage/hdd-enclosures/25-hdd-enclosures (http://www.digitus.info/en/products/accessories/data-storage/hdd-enclosures/25-hdd-enclosures/external-ssdhdd-enclosure-25-sata-to-usb-30-da-71030/#!prettyPhoto[set]/0/).

Just in case -- Make sure you use the rear USB ports, some times if using front the drives are not detected.

DeSade
17-01-2015, 03:12 PM
Its a Vantec NexStar Hard Drive Dock
plugged into one of the back USB ports

wainuitech
17-01-2015, 03:57 PM
Never tried it with a DOC like that. Its been on the "I'm going to buy one day " list :D

The Ones I use are quite cheap ( digitus) , so if the break ( dropped) then no big deal to replace.

DeSade
21-01-2015, 01:53 AM
I have the new SSD now plugged directly into a sata port and I am still getting the same error.
Infuriating!!

21-01-2015, 09:09 AM
Acronis is a bit too fussy/flaky. Ive stopped using it . It is 100% Win7 compatible, that doesnt mean it works though
Some clone programs also have issues with USB HD, USB caddies & USB-Sata converters etc

Live@, active@ works 99% of the time for this sort of thing. Free for a week or so, thats long enough to get your clone done.
Install it, make a bootable CD from the program, boot off the CD (with the USB plugged in)
Thats allways the 1st choice .

DeSade
21-01-2015, 10:33 AM
W00000t Finally got it working.
Testing it tonight to see if it copied correctly.

Not sure what I did differently, opened it in Disk Manager took a look, might have clicked something.