PDA

View Full Version : Broadband speed ??

Woody
12-01-2015, 11:40 AM
My broadband speed as registered on Speedtest.net has for ages remained pretty good at about 8Mb/sec download and about 0.7 - 0.8 up.
Over the last few days - poss a week - it has suddenly crashed to less than 1 Mb/s down (0.7- 0.8) and similar drop upload. Roughly down to a tenth of normal.
This is causing a pain with frequent time-outs when working thru the internet.
The ping has remained the same at about 30 - 40 ms
Any suggestions on where to go for cover ?

Cheers

bevy121
12-01-2015, 12:01 PM
I would have been "talking" (polite word there!) to your ISP long before a week of it...

wratterus
12-01-2015, 12:20 PM
Could well be a modem/filter too though - start with an isolation test - unplug EVERYTHING that's plugged into a phone jack in the house and plug in just the modem with no filter and then check the speed.

Also you want to be checking the line speed in the modem for this, not speedtest.net.

If it's still the same with an isolation test, do you have or can you borrow another modem to test with?

effie c
12-01-2015, 12:58 PM
Could well be a modem/filter too though - start with an isolation test - unplug EVERYTHING that's plugged into a phone jack in the house and plug in just the modem with no filter and then check the speed.

Also you want to be checking the line speed in the modem for this, not speedtest.net.

If it's still the same with an isolation test, do you have or can you borrow another modem to test with?

Hi ,
Far be it for me to tell virtually anybody how to run a computer BUT

I had similar problems on copper before we move into a resthome/retirement village, and the speed etc was all to hell
Xtra produced a Thompson Router that is giving me 46 mb/s on copper ( the UFBB cable has not reached here yet ) and so help me with speeds like that on copper, who needs BB at all ?

Xtra also tell me that a router should only last 3 years or so, hence this could be your problem
Effie c

12-01-2015, 01:31 PM
Ring the ISP. These things happen , faults occur .

My int connect speed is down to 3M, due to wiring issues (Chorus are coming in tomorrow)
So it could also be a wiring issue inside your house. Any noise on the ph line? if you reconnect/restart the modem, does it take a long time to connect/login, with several failed attempts ?

Check the CONNECT speed , your modem should show that in the stats,diag or log page.
Restart the router . Unplug & replug all the cables.

wratterus
12-01-2015, 01:40 PM
You must be on VDSL Effie. Still called broadband, still uses copper...same basic type of tech as ADSL, just capable of much higher speeds, but you've got to be within less than about 2km from a cabinet for there to be any increase in speed from ADSL2.

If the original poster was getting 8mbps before, it is unlikely they would be able to get VDSL.

https://www.chorus.co.nz/network-upgrade-map

Punch your address in there and see what comes up.

Chilling_Silence
13-01-2015, 01:20 AM
Woody, log in to your router, check your "sync speed", it's the actual speed that your router thinks it can get between it and your local Cabinet / Exchange.
If that's still 8mbps then your ISP or router is likely to blame.
If that's lower, it's a line or wiring fault, and your ISP can assist.

Woody
13-01-2015, 10:54 AM
My broadband speed as registered on Speedtest.net has for ages remained pretty good at about 8Mb/sec download and about 0.7 - 0.8 up.
Over the last few days - poss a week - it has suddenly crashed to less than 1 Mb/s down (0.7- 0.8) and similar drop upload. Roughly down to a tenth of normal.
This is causing a pain with frequent time-outs when working thru the internet.
The ping has remained the same at about 30 - 40 ms
Any suggestions on where to go for cover ?

Cheers

Thanks Guys for your help and suggestions - much appreciated.
I eventually phoned Spark and answered a myriad of question from the Philippines and was given all the costs I was going to incur if then problem was not theirs, but this morning - lo - I again have about 7Mb/s down and 0.8 up so I'm a happy chappy. Ta heaps to all.
Cheers