PDA

View Full Version : Ultra Fast Fibre ????

ollieogg
11-01-2015, 07:11 PM
Happy new year to everyone!
I have finally switched ISPs from Vodafone to Orcon due to horrendous service and throttling. Sadly my dl speeds are still slow. I can turn Utorrent on and it will fire up to speeds over 1MB staying high for about a minute and then it will fall away to dial up speed. I'm not using it wirelessly incase that was the problem but it makes no difference.
We are in a brand new house with Fibre already installed. I could understand if it was where my torrent was downloading from, but it does this for every single one. Ideas anyone or is this 'normal'? I have signed up to gigatown speed every hopeful that it will be something better than what we have now.

Thank you for any/all replies.

ronyville
11-01-2015, 08:34 PM
I think you need to do some port forwarding to the PC that is doing the downloading....

Alex B
11-01-2015, 08:35 PM
Orcon reckon they don't do traffic management except when they have to: https://www.orcon.net.nz/support/gfaq_page/how_unlimited_is_the_unlimited_plan

Is it happening at all times of the day?

ollieogg
11-01-2015, 08:51 PM
Yep it seems to be random.

ollieogg
11-01-2015, 08:51 PM
I don't know how to do that?

wainuitech
11-01-2015, 08:55 PM
What equipment are you using (router) is it the same one that was being used with Vodafone or did Orcon supply a UFB Router ?

What plan are you actually on with UFB, like ADSL, there are different plans.

Even 1MB/s is not that fast, if fact for UFB its terrible. In a speed test depending on what plan you are on you should be getting 100 Mbps (10MB) if on Orcons higher end or 30Mbps on the lower ones. We are on Vodafone cable / Unlimited usage, Download speed tests even out roughly @ 100Mbps.

Torrent speed will still be determined by where the data is coming from and the number of Seeds.

ollieogg
11-01-2015, 09:10 PM
We are using Orcons own modem. We are on unlimited and fastests they do :) I do speed tests using Ookla. This is the result I got.

91.79 Mb/s 15.96 Mb/s 23 ms

wainuitech
11-01-2015, 09:48 PM
Those speeds sound more like it :thumbs:

They are theoretical max speeds you are capable of, in reality you'll hardly get them, even with torrents.

As mentioned before the torrent speed is determined by where the data is coming from.

If you were getting what ever from over seas it will ALWAYS be slower than from local.

THERES ALWAYS A BUT / EXCEPTION :D

If you want to do a test, go to http://ucmirror.canterbury.ac.nz/linux/knoppix/ Its University of Canterbury Mirror Service for Linux. Scroll down select one, I used the knoppix iso (Directly under the DVD folder) 697MB

I'm using a Download manager and ALMOST exceeding my speed limit From Vodafone (better watch out if I go 1 Mb over I may get a speeding ticket) :p :lol:

Since you are more or less on their door step you should be able to top out your speed, or close to it.

Heres what I brought it through at 12MB/s (Only because its Local/NZ)

Please advise what you get yourself. As long as the speed is good, theres nothing wrong with your connection.

b....
11-01-2015, 10:47 PM
Wainuitech, what download manager are you using?

apsattv
12-01-2015, 01:47 AM
On Vodafone using ADSL2 17mbit linesync speed 1mbit up. I use to get maxed out around 1.6MB/s. However since I shifted to Fibre (Vodafone low end 30 mbit , 10mbit up) a decent seeded file peaks around 3MB/S

Have you tweaked utorrent to better suit the new conection?

apsattv
12-01-2015, 01:53 AM
Also is QOS enabled or disabled in your router?

wainuitech
12-01-2015, 08:35 AM
Wainuitech, what download manager are you using? Using Internetdownloadmanger http://www.internetdownloadmanager.com/ The trial is free for 30 days.

b....
12-01-2015, 06:17 PM
Thanks, I will give it a try.

Chilling_Silence
13-01-2015, 01:17 AM
Unfortunately Orcon aren't much better than Vodafone (Probably even worse) when it comes to their unlimited plans.
1MB/sec is 8mbps, or roughly the speeds that I was getting 12 years ago on ADSL1 when it first was announced (Was syncing at ~7700kbps)

You're not getting the maximum speeds because of shaping, or over-subscription of international bandwidth by your ISP. It's one or the other, or possibly even a combination of both.

apsattv
13-01-2015, 01:55 AM
Look in wikihow and kill all the built in adverts in Utorrent ;-) then control+G and use the builtin setup guide. To reconfigure for your new faster connection.

ollieogg
14-01-2015, 11:03 AM
On Vodafone using ADSL2 17mbit linesync speed 1mbit up. I use to get maxed out around 1.6MB/s. However since I shifted to Fibre (Vodafone low end 30 mbit , 10mbit up) a decent seeded file peaks around 3MB/S

Have you tweaked utorrent to better suit the new conection?

I don't understand half of the settings on there so I would have to say no to that.

ollieogg
14-01-2015, 11:06 AM
Also is QOS enabled or disabled in your router?

I have no idea what that is even?

apsattv
15-01-2015, 05:03 PM
I don't understand half of the settings on there so I would have to say no to that.

Utorrent has a built in speed guide wizzard. Try it.

gary67
15-01-2015, 06:12 PM
I have no idea what that is even?

Quality of Service, it should be a setting in the router configuration

Nomad
17-01-2015, 09:02 PM
Quality of Service, it should be a setting in the router configuration

If they don't know, probably whatever the default settings from the router then .. probably a no.

Well - the fibre line is brand new so that is unlikely the cause. It is really the ISP. With me apart from speedtest.net. My 500MB downloads have ranged from 30secs (Google site) to maybe 10mins with some other sites. I am on a 100Mbps speed downstream. If it is really really bad then it is probably the ISP. I am with Snap. For most people unless the 100Mbps price option is the best for your ISP I don't see much point going faster than 30Mbps. Maybe if you have multiple HD streaming and gaming and things like that....

19-01-2015, 10:26 AM
Some 'download sites' & torrents are just slow...really slow.
Just the way it is.
Try a legit torrent , such as a Linux distro thats known to be a fast download. It may not be the ISP at all.

Im guessing the 'downloads' arnt 100% kosher
:-)

wainuitech
19-01-2015, 11:01 AM
Theres also no guarantee of speed with any torrents. As per mentioned on one site:

the thing with torrents is that as long as there are enough seeders; they are fine, when the number of seeders drops, they can be a real pain because they are slow!!.

Just thought I'd try something going from 1101's comment. Went to download Linux Mint Via Torrent --- :sleep:sleep:sleep:sleep With 5 feeds after 10 minutes it steadied out at 20 Weeks NFW :annoyed:

Chilling_Silence
19-01-2015, 01:30 PM
If they don't know, probably whatever the default settings from the router then .. probably a no.

Well - the fibre line is brand new so that is unlikely the cause. It is really the ISP. With me apart from speedtest.net. My 500MB downloads have ranged from 30secs (Google site) to maybe 10mins with some other sites. I am on a 100Mbps speed downstream. If it is really really bad then it is probably the ISP. I am with Snap. For most people unless the 100Mbps price option is the best for your ISP I don't see much point going faster than 30Mbps. Maybe if you have multiple HD streaming and gaming and things like that....

Yep, Google will be NZ / Australia (Sydney specifically) which is dirt cheap to buy, like 1/10th the cost of international bandwidth, so ISP's buy a LOT more of that for a lot less.
US and European sorta traffic all goes via Hawaii -> California, where the data costs a buttload more to buy (But it's still not _that_ expensive in the grand scheme of things) and that's why doing a download from, say, Dreamhost Californias Speedtest site will be likely 1/10th (Or less) vs say if you download from Telstra in Sydney Australia or even somewhere nationally.

Give those speedtests for me a whirl, Nomad, let me know what you get :)

Chilling_Silence
19-01-2015, 01:35 PM
Theres also no guarantee of speed with any torrents. As per mentioned on one site:

Just thought I'd try something going from 1101's comment. Went to download Linux Mint Via Torrent --- :sleep:sleep:sleep:sleep With 5 feeds after 10 minutes it steadied out at 20 Weeks NFW :annoyed:

Torrents are also *highly* throttled with some ISP's.
I've just tried Linux Mint 32-bit DVD, currently connected to 3/17 peers, getting 1.3MB/sec download (Bytes, not bits!).
http://torrents.linuxmint.com/torrents/linuxmint-16-cinnamon-dvd-32bit.iso.torrent

EDIT: Sometimes enforcing encryption can help 'mask' it from your ISP. Some, not all...

wainuitech
19-01-2015, 02:10 PM
Torrents are also *highly* throttled with some ISP's.
I've just tried Linux Mint 32-bit DVD, currently connected to 3/17 peers, getting 1.3MB/sec download (Bytes, not bits!).
http://torrents.linuxmint.com/torrents/linuxmint-16-cinnamon-dvd-32bit.iso.torrent

EDIT: Sometimes enforcing encryption can help 'mask' it from your ISP. Some, not all... Just tried that link Chill, (Not that I really needed it LOL) the one I had earlier was a different torrent.

Just so its not BS, posted is the speed, its peaks a bit higher, 6MB/sec for a few seconds, but steady at 5-4.5MB/Sec. PS: this is on Telstra/Vodafone Cable.

Chilling_Silence
19-01-2015, 03:29 PM
Nice! :D

Just for comparison, started another torrent on my home VDSL2 connection (Syncing at 21mbps at the moment) and after a couple of minutes this is how it looks:
http://imgur.com/dPNJyUv

Not bad considering it's only pulling it from two peers.

dugimodo
19-01-2015, 04:06 PM
It likely doesn't help the speed but uTorrent can have all the add content disabled in the preferences. I can't find the guide I used at the moment and I think it did more than these but here'a couple from a google search http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Sponsored-Ads-from-uTorrent http://lifehacker.com/disable-ads-in-utorrent-via-settings-826283231

from memory you can get rid of all but 1 banner add for upgrading uTorrent itself. If this doesn't work I can check my preferences settings and post a screenshot.
It's a lot cleaner after making these changes.

Not much to add re the speeds though, others have pretty much covered it. If speed tests are consistently fast from the same country as the downloads you're getting then it's likely a throttling or seeding issue or both.

apsattv
20-01-2015, 01:19 AM
Try the setup guide Control +G when in Utorrent. Don't expect to max out your conection on every torrent. However on ones like the linux distro above you should be able to.

apsattv
20-01-2015, 01:27 AM
My cap from the 30mbit down 10 mbit up Vodafone fibre, no issue at all maxing out

Nomad
20-01-2015, 10:04 AM
Yep, Google will be NZ / Australia (Sydney specifically) which is dirt cheap to buy, like 1/10th the cost of international bandwidth, so ISP's buy a LOT more of that for a lot less.
US and European sorta traffic all goes via Hawaii -> California, where the data costs a buttload more to buy (But it's still not _that_ expensive in the grand scheme of things) and that's why doing a download from, say, Dreamhost Californias Speedtest site will be likely 1/10th (Or less) vs say if you download from Telstra in Sydney Australia or even somewhere nationally.

Give those speedtests for me a whirl, Nomad, let me know what you get :)

I did that a few months back. Speedtest.net to NZ using the best server probably Snap NZ (?) gave literally around 98/19. When I used San Francisco that downstream rate was around 35.

Chilling_Silence
20-01-2015, 10:10 AM
I did that a few months back. Speedtest.net to NZ using the best server probably Snap NZ (?) gave literally around 98/19. When I used San Francisco that downstream rate was around 35.

Would be interested to see if it's still the same for you today? :)

Nomad
20-01-2015, 10:45 AM
Would be interested to see if it's still the same for you today? :)

NZ Christchurch Snap
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4072831605

San Francisco Comcast
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4072837733