PDA

View Full Version : XP Pro Upgrade

spooky
10-01-2015, 08:21 PM
I have been offered this piece of software. My question is this: what o/s do I need to have to use this upgrade. Secondly does the os need to be a legit copy? TIA
Spooky

wainuitech
10-01-2015, 08:46 PM
Generally the Upgrade will come with a COA / Product key. You would be upgrading from XP Home ( usually).

BUT isn't really worth it unless you have programs that wont run on anything else, XP is now end of life as well as updates. Windows 7 has also gone end of sales ( except Pro and above) , Mainstream Support for W7 is close to ending as well, 13th Jan 2015

bk T
10-01-2015, 08:47 PM
Do you still need this outdated OS?

spooky
10-01-2015, 09:02 PM
All my machines run xp home or pro at the moment. I have a laptop with w8 on it and an acer e1 touchscreen all in one with w8. Seeing as xp appears to be ending I might have to have a look at Linux. Any comments.

wainuitech
10-01-2015, 09:15 PM
XP HAS ended.

End of ALL sales October 22, 2010

End of support 8th April 2014.

No problems with Linux, only thing you have to look at is theres MANY different Distros Of Linux, and its NOT windows, so there will be a learning curve as to how it works. Any programs you have for winodws wont run by default on Linux. Theres several ways around that, depends on how you want to do it.

nmercer
11-01-2015, 01:22 PM
if time isn't money for you then Linux is a good choice.

Also just because XP is end of life doesn't mean its not broken or stops working, yes there are no more security updates, but there are ways of mitigating those risks

Also Windows license can be had pretty inexpensively these days

fred_fish
11-01-2015, 01:59 PM
if time isn't money for you then Linux is a good choice.
Win 8 victims may beg to differ :D
Wainuitech also seems to make a living separating Windows users from their cash....

wainuitech
11-01-2015, 02:47 PM
Win 8 victims may beg to differ :D
Wainuitech also seems to make a living separating Windows users from their cash....
If you are referring to running a computer business, repairing, building, Supplying Software, hardware, upgrading computers and various other computer related services then yep. :)

I'm sure in your job you get paid for doing what ever it evolves.

Bryan
11-01-2015, 04:26 PM
What a sad comment Fred.

fred_fish
11-01-2015, 04:27 PM
If you are referring to running a computer business, repairing, building, Supplying Software, hardware, upgrading computers and various other computer related services then yep. :)

I'm sure in your job you get paid for doing what ever it evolves.Yes indeed.
Was referring to the oft trotted out fallacy that the TCO of "linux" is greater than that of Windows.
That hasn't been my experience at all, I get lots of "repeat business" from clients on Windows, yet hardly ever hear from the ones I install Debian for.

fred_fish
11-01-2015, 04:28 PM
What a sad comment Fred.
Missed my point - was not having a go at Wainui ...

wainuitech
11-01-2015, 04:41 PM
Missed my point - was not having a go at Wainui ... Glad to hear it :

I mentioned
No problems with Linux, only thing you have to look at is theres MANY different Distros Of Linux, and its NOT windows, so there will be a learning curve as to how it works. <Insert hillbilly accent> Nought wrong with Linux, :D hell I've used various distros or Linux based recovery programs to recover data from broken windows installs when windows programs cant.

dugimodo
11-01-2015, 10:52 PM
I don't think there's any point in an average home user upgrading from XP home to pro so unless it lets you upgrade 95 or 98 or something it seems pointless. And who still has those around (actually I might have a win 95 disk somewhere:))

We switched one of our standalone work PC's to Ubuntu once XP stopped updating and nobody seems to have issues with it, primarily used for internet browsing though so all it needs is a functional browser most of the time.
But it depends what you do with a PC and how good you are technically. Linux still requires resorting to the command line a bit too often in some circumstances for the casual user and can be impossible to do some tasks with even now.

I'm a long time windows user, and DOS before that. I try linux out every now and again to see how it's coming along and have to admit it's made huge strides over the years but it hasn't yet reached the point where I'll adopt it for anything but casual experimentation. While it may be true that the learning curve for either OS is not that different coming off over 20 years of using windows in various forms puts linux at a huge disadvantage for familiarity.

For me personally the problems I still have with linux are;
1. I'm a gamer, linux still won't run most of them natively and can be a nuisance to get sorted for those it will run. Games are written for windows.
2. I thought it would make a good media PC platform but could find no way to play Blu-Ray on my last attempt - deal breaker for me.
3. Things that I can just click a web link to install from windows (specifically silverlight for one) require awkward workarounds in linux and/or the use of wine
4. however good linux support may be windows is still better (I kinda expect argument on this point but it's my opinion)

As a general use OS for web browsing, Email, office, productivity it's pretty impressive. The installation and hardware support these days is great and in many ways puts windows to shame. I am still sticking to windows for the foreseeable future.

Ron24
13-01-2015, 08:08 AM
What a sad comment Fred.

Hear hear! Wainui is a learners best friend, give him some respect for his trouble. Ron 24. 90 years old.

Pato
13-01-2015, 09:39 AM
Hear hear! Wainui is a learners best friend, give him some respect for his trouble. Ron 24. 90 years old.I agree 100%. Wainuitech has been a real help to me over many years and I appreciate his help.

fred_fish
13-01-2015, 12:29 PM
Oh *** ...

Maybe you both could find another kind soul to help you with your reading comprehension.