PDA

View Full Version : External HDD problem

rumpty
07-01-2015, 01:08 PM
I had an experience with an external WD Blue SATA HDD, with an NTFS partition, connected via USB, where, while writing to the drive, Windows XP threw a wobbly for some reason, and there was an error message about " a failure to write to the drive, and data might have been lost".

After this episode, Explorer said there was an "unrecognised file type", the RAW file situation, and "the drive would have to be formatted". So Windows gave up on it completely, even when the drive was reconnected as an internal drive.

But, thank goodness, when the computer was re-booted into Linux, the file manager there was able to access the drive, and so I could retrieve my files! What a relief.

So what was Linux ignoring, or whatever, that was locking Windows out?

wainuitech
07-01-2015, 03:00 PM
It all depends on how the Two OS's read the file formats. There is no simple because -----

Not going to go in-depth - when someone else has ( lazy eh :p) But have a read of the answer why-can-linux-systems-sometimes-recover-data-windows-cant/ (http://www.howtogeek.com/163757/why-can-linux-systems-sometimes-recover-data-windows-cant/). ( scroll down to "The Answer")

Sometimes when a drive or OS goes bad, even Linux cant read it. Just yesterday, I had such a drive, Linux threw its toys out the cot and said unreadable & unmountable volume :annoyed:. Yet in windows with the drive slaved, the file system was showing as NTFS - Unformatted ---- Managed to get one of the several data recovery programs I use (Windows based) to see the complete structure and recover everything -- 6 1/2 Hours & 29GB later - Happy customer :)

note: Even that parted Magic displayed on the page didn't want to know about it.

rumpty
07-01-2015, 04:58 PM
Thanks wainuitech, for the thoughts about what is going on, but you're right, there isn't a simple answer. I seized on the bit "the implementation of NTFS in Linux is very different from the one in Windows" as a possible clue, but the exact cause is probably impossible to pin down. Impossible for me, anyway.

I tried testdisk on the drive while it was faulty, but the only definite thing that it came up with was that the boot sectors were not the same, and the backup boot sector was bad. I tried the option to overwrite it with the "good" bootsector, but thad didn't help.

Never mind, at least I was able to recover my files, and I've reformatted the partition now. Thanks again.

tonyohare2014
23-01-2015, 06:28 PM
For Hard Drive Recovery you should go to an expert and they will get your data back very nicely and with guarantee.

http://www.advanceddatarecoverylondon.co.uk/