PDA

View Full Version : DCIMan32.dll fault with photoshop elements 8

supergran
02-01-2015, 09:19 PM
I have a new desktop computer running windows 7 professional, under a month old, last week elements worked, this week when I try , it come up with "The program can't start because DCIMAN32.DLL is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix the problem."

So I uninstalled Elements 8, re installed, still same error message. Checked, and that dll file is in Windows System 32 folder, I don't know what I am doing in Windows 7, been a long hold out with XP, but this says 64 bit operating system if that makes any difference.

No biggie if no one has any suggestions, as my computer tech will be back off holiday soon, and so far, everything else seems to be working, and I can use irfanview.

wainuitech
02-01-2015, 10:28 PM
You can try running system File checker.

Click Start, type in CMD, from the results, RIGHT click it/ Run as administrator, type in sfc /scannow (note space after c before /) <Press Enter>If its the system file thats gone bad it will fix it. The original file should be in the dll Cache folder, if not then it will ask for the Windows DVD, so have it handy.

You can also run system Restore back to the last time it was working OK (unless you have disabled it)

There can be many causes to whats happened, most common ones are:

Invalid or corrupt dciman32.dll registry entry.
Virus or malware infection which has corrupted the dciman32.dll file.
Hardware failure, such as a bad hard drive, which has corrupted the dciman32.dll file.
Another program overwrote the required version of dciman32.dll.
Another program maliciously or mistakenly deleted the dciman32.dll file.
Another program uninstalled the dciman32.dll file.

supergran
03-01-2015, 03:46 PM
Thanks for that, I copied one from my laptop, after checking where they were stored, and it was missing out of the syswow64 folder. I am saving your way of doing it, for future reference. I have obviously installed something it didn't like. Thanks heaps Wainuitech, think you helped me years ago too, when I had computer problems.

And I didn't run system restore as I wasn't sure what I had installed that made it play up. But have marked the date I reinstalled/pasted it back into the folder, so if it happens again, at least I know how long ago I tried to fix it.