PDA

View Full Version : PC bluescreened when encoding video in handbrake

GameJunkie
01-01-2015, 07:26 PM
so i started encoding a video in handbrake, and it got to 25ish percent done when it froze and my pc bsod

the dump file mentioned nvlddmkm.sys as the potential issue

realtemp said during the encoding that the cpu was in the low 70 celcius

temps at idle are mid 30's, although it has been really warm lately

my current overclock is @ 4.7GHz

my current geforce driver is the latest 347.09

I have encoded one video without issue
This is the first time its BSOD on me, so im thinking its handbrake causing the issue??

tried encoding again, but it comes up with an error caused by hal.dll and ntoskrnl.exe

any other usage that i do on the pc is fine, just when i try to encode my video in handbrake

is there another video encoding software i can use??

wainuitech
01-01-2015, 09:01 PM
When HB is trying to run its using the graphic Drivers this could be why you are getting the hal error.

Have a read of the following, explains teh first error as well as a, which if it is the main cause then it should fix the second.

is there another video encoding software i can use?? Theres plenty, what are you trying to do ?

Problem is if its the fault above then any other encoder will more than likely do similar errors.

GameJunkie
01-01-2015, 09:03 PM
When HB is trying to run its using the graphic Drivers this could be why you are getting the hal error.

Have a read of the following, explains teh first error as well as a, which if it is the main cause then it should fix the second.

Theres plenty, what are you trying to do ?

what am i reading WT???

I've recorded gamplay using shadowplay, and i want to encode the file so its smaller to upload to youtube

wainuitech
01-01-2015, 09:41 PM
Okay, this time I'll put the link ;) http://www.computertipsfree.com/fix-nvlddmkm-sys-blue-screen-bsod-error-in-windows-7/

One program that works well is Vidcoder http://vidcoder.codeplex.com/ Under Encoding - "setting" is where you fiddle about with sizing, output etc.

Chilling_Silence
01-01-2015, 11:16 PM
What was your GPU temp during the encode?
Download and keep Speccy open beside it while encoding. Free from piriform.com/speccy

GameJunkie
02-01-2015, 05:30 PM
What was your GPU temp during the encode?
Download and keep Speccy open beside it while encoding. Free from piriform.com/speccy

bump

not sure but the fans dont spin up until about 66 degrees

Speedy Gonzales
02-01-2015, 07:20 PM
You'll be getting the hal.dll stop error, because of the overclock. Since a hal.dll crash is CPU related. Upload the dmp files somewhere like onedrive then post the link

GameJunkie
02-01-2015, 08:02 PM
so i should knock the overclock back???

i'll have to reinstall handbrake and re-encode the video

Speedy Gonzales
03-01-2015, 07:45 AM
Yup. Or put it back to default. See if it crashes then.

fnphoto
03-01-2015, 01:36 PM
I had the same problem, freezing using Premiere until I cut back my processor (AMD FX-8350) from 4.3 Mhz to 3.8. Never had a problem after that.

BBCmicro
04-01-2015, 03:11 PM
codecs have a reputation for trouble

But the last time I had a freeze during video processing it was a hardware error probably.

The picture shows the details of a Warning event just before the application crashed. I immediately checked the High/Low switch on the case fan and it was on low. The particular application (Respeedr) uses all 4 cores at 100% and Core Temp sometimes reports 96 (i5-3570k @ 4.1GHz)

Agent_24
12-01-2015, 11:22 AM
Last time I used Handbrake it maxed-out my Phenom II on all 4 cores and took the temperature over 76 degrees. During gaming the highest is something around 60.

Mine didn't crash but I imagine an overclocked or slightly unstable machine might not be able to cut the mustard under that kind of load.