PDA

View Full Version : TV question

undiejuice
29-12-2014, 12:50 PM
Hi folks,

I'm curious if this is a new thing with televisions or it is just mine? You see, this is my first TV I have ever bought in my life and to me I thought it was a bargain and an opportunity for me not to miss during the boxing day sales, the SONY BRAVIA 40"-W600B TV. After reading some good reviews about it and some to and fro'ing either for a Veon brand or this one?

The strangest thing I have noticed about this television is that it requires a DC plug which is then connected to a (square box) and also a 250 volt plug. Reminds me, if I was to charge the battery for my laptop with the same accessories.

My question, is this now common amongst TV's these days or is this because Sony has designed it this way?

Cheers.

dugimodo
29-12-2014, 01:17 PM
Common on PC monitors, less common on TV's. Must be a very power efficient TV, larger models probably can't fit their power circuitry into a small external power supply like that.

undiejuice
29-12-2014, 01:44 PM
Common on PC monitors, less common on TV's. Must be a very power efficient TV, larger models probably can't fit their power circuitry into a small external power supply like that.

Hi. It has 5/12 energy rating stars, but I don't know if this means anything. Maybe it could be a good thing after all?

Thanks for your reply.

wainuitech
29-12-2014, 01:45 PM
Our Veon 46" only has a single one piece power cord, no extra "box".

undiejuice
29-12-2014, 02:10 PM
Our Veon 46" only has a single one piece power cord, no extra "box".

What is your experience with it so far? I was "umming" about this model because the price difference was $40 less than the Sony 40". The sole reason I went with Sony, was after reading a number of reviews that Veon was a bit difficult to set up; there was a delay in changing chanels; wasn't recommended for gaming because of lag time, and the remote felt very plastic, like almost too cheap. However the plus side of things though was the cost, and size and also the 3 year warrantry. \

Just out of curiosity, would you recommend this for xbox gaming and watching movies? Since, this was the only reason I was looking for a TV in the first place.

Cheers.

wainuitech
29-12-2014, 02:33 PM
Its OK (Veon) the sound originally wasn't that good, until I found the settings and changed it, now its fine.

The only thing I dont like about it is some programs some of the colours almost look a bit washed out. If you compare TV programs with the Old 32" Viewsonic LCD I also have, the older one is better, but it seems to be mainly with some programs only.

If playing DVD/Movie or Blu-ray or playing through the Media Center -- its WOW -- Talk about brilliant colour and crystal clear. There is one thing its razor sharp no matter whats playing. Seen lots of TV's and some look like the pixelation isn't quite right and no matter what you do it doesn't get better.

Think of it like when in a shop and they have different TV's on display, some look better / different to others playing the same program.

One that I did see at Noel Leeming, that I said would be "nice in the lounge" :drool SWMBO asked which one I was looking at - pointed to the TV - Well the "look" :horrified:stare: and uncontrollable :lol::lol: from her said enough- was only just over 10K ( at the time - several months back) Nuff said.

Cant comment on Xbox, dont have one.

CliveM
29-12-2014, 02:58 PM
I would go for the Sony unless cost is your main consideration.

gary67
29-12-2014, 03:04 PM
Picture is fine on our Veon sound runs through my stereo amp and mission m75 speakers so sounds awesome. I run YouTube on a Raspberry Pi quite often with no issues

CYaBro
29-12-2014, 06:45 PM
They would have moved the 240V power supply to the external box to allow them to make the screen thinner and possibly to also reduce the heat inside the screen.

tweak'e
29-12-2014, 08:26 PM
They would have moved the 240V power supply to the external box to allow them to make the screen thinner and possibly to also reduce the heat inside the screen.

and its a custom part they don't have to make and keep spares of. one power supply can do a whole range of tv's which are all of different shapes and sizes.

Winston001
30-12-2014, 01:47 AM
Must say the external power supply is news to me but as Cyabro says, it does reduce the size and weight of the actual television set. Not something to be worried about.

As a general comment Sony were and probably still are regarded as making the best tv screens. Personally I prefer Panasonic as a brand, followed by Samsung.

Whatever. Enjoy your new tv and play around with the settings until you are happy. Which incidentally might simply mean going back to factory settings but you'll learn as you go.

undiejuice
31-12-2014, 05:49 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks very much for your input. This was really helpful. For a moment there, I thought I had bought a lemon and was about to sell it on Trademe. Now, I am much appreciative of my purchase.

Thanks

Billy T
06-01-2015, 09:39 PM
Must say the external power supply is news to me but as Cyabro says, it does reduce the size and weight of the actual television set. Not something to be worried about. As a general comment Sony were and probably still are regarded as making the best tv screens. Personally I prefer Panasonic as a brand, followed by Samsung.

I have an 18" Akai with a separate power supply, it helps keep the package slim and is a less costly replacement for the manufacturer should it drop dead.

I too favour Sony, but their current pricing was too rich for me. My first LCD was 32" Sony and cost $3200 at mate's rates. It gave good service and was only recently on-sold on TM for $36, which is about 99% depreciation. In addition to the Akai, we have a 19" Sanyo , two Panasonics (24" & 32"), and one Samsung 22". Total cost over 3-4 years for all five sets was under $1000. All but the Akai were bought new and on sale, and the Akai was $100 on TM. The Sanyo came with a inbuilt software fault that gave it random amnesia that made it forget all its channel settings at unpredictable intervals, but that was fixed via a download of new software.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)