PDA

View Full Version : xp pro won't recognize hdds plugged into usb port.

spooky
27-12-2014, 06:31 AM
Windows Xp Pro won't recognize any hdds plugged into usb port using a caddy. Can anybody help. Thanks in advance.

Speedy Gonzales
27-12-2014, 08:44 AM
Is it USB 3? If it is XP doesnt fully support USB3

spooky
27-12-2014, 10:51 AM
Sorry. I should have said that it is either usb 1.1 or 2.0. Thx

wainuitech
27-12-2014, 11:06 AM
Go into the Disk Management in the control Panel, Instructions described HERE (http://www.hgst.com/support/faqs/my-external-hard-drive-not-recognized-my-computer) , with the USB drive plugged in scroll through and see if its actually detected, if it is showing make sure it has a drive letter assigned to it. If it doesn't then assign one and the drive will appear.

If its got no drive letter then theres corruption within the OS - there is a fix but look to see if this is the problem first. :)

spooky
27-12-2014, 01:56 PM
I am at present in Disk management. I can see that the disk is present, its status is healthy, size is represented correctly. The tool show the disk type is basic and the layout is partition. There is no drive letter and when I right click on the blue highlight to install the drive letter the drop down menu is greyed out except for the help option at the bottom, which is no help. So please HELP!!

Thx

spooky
27-12-2014, 02:08 PM
I forgot to mention that it does not have a file sysytem shown and that it contains a GPT Protective partition. I believe this drive came from a HP Server Model no tc2120. I also have another drive from the same server which is showing the same problem but it does not have GPT Protective partition. Thx

Speedy Gonzales
27-12-2014, 02:11 PM
Thats probably why if the system doesnt support UEFI it cant read GPT. Can you format it in disk management?

wainuitech
27-12-2014, 03:20 PM
You can try to manually assign a drive Letter, but whats written above as Speedy said may be the cause.

If you want to try, do this.

WARNING follow this EXACTLY as the commands ( in Bold) if done wrong could do all sorts of damage.

NOTE: Leave the USB drive unplugged for the moment.

This is the long way around being XP, W7 onwards is a LOT easier:

Click Start, click on Run, type in CMD <Press Enter>

In the Command prompt box, type in DISKPART <press enter> ( it will take a few moments to appear/change)

When Diskpart displays, type List Volume <Press Enter>
You'll see all the volumes on the computer. Take note of what they are. NOW plug in the USB Drive, wait a few seconds.

Type in List Volume <Press Enter> Now you should see the USB Drive listed as well, take note of its Number.
Type Select Volume # (# is the USB number) <Press Enter> You should get a message saying Volume selected.
Type Assign Letter=<Letter you want> (give it a letter, anything like F, G, H K , L etc) <Press Enter> Example: Assign Letter=F

Type Exit <press Enter> the drive should now be visible as long as its not being stopped because of what you wrote before relating to how the drives are formatted.

spooky
27-12-2014, 03:48 PM
I have performed the required tests as per your previous and the answer is still the same. Its as if the 320Gb IDE drive plugged into my usb port does not exist. It did not appear when the <diskpart> <list volume> command was retyped the second time. Does thsi mean the drive (and possibly its mate are kaput?

spooky
27-12-2014, 03:53 PM
Sorry. The last line should read Does this mean the drive (and its mate) are kaput?

spooky
27-12-2014, 04:28 PM
Sorry to lead you guys up the garden path but I took another ide hdd I had and tried that in place of the suspect ones and performed everything mentioned above on it and it works. I can see it, I can access its files, I can changes its letter. So from this I can assume, hopefully correctly, that the previous two drives (the ones from the server) are suspect and best probably destined to become paper weights.

spooky
27-12-2014, 05:03 PM
The next most obvious question is this, Are these suspect drives (from the server) able to be formatted in ntfs to be used by xp pro and if so what precautions need to be taken.
TIA

wainuitech
27-12-2014, 05:12 PM
So from this I can assume, hopefully correctly, that the previous two drives (the ones from the server) are suspect and best probably destined to become paper weights. Narrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr They are fully usable. The following will wipe ALL DATA and anything else from the drives, so make sure theres nothing on them you want first.

Heres what I suggest, download and install some free partitioning software, something like http://www.disk-partition.com/free-partition-manager.html

Theres plenty of others about as well that are free, that's the one I use all the time myself.

Once installed, attach the drives Via USB , open the partition software, the USB drive should be showing, right click the partition(s) on the USB drive - Delete Partition, do this for each partition the drive has, you'll get a warning asking are you sure - Agree, partitions will be wiped, the drive is now completely blank.

Right click on the drive again, create partition, follow the wizard, it will create a new single partition and format it as NTFS as default.

WARNING-- The Precautions: Make 100% sure you select the right drive, its a real bugger and can really ruin your day if you wipe the wrong drive (been there done that, as I use the Bootable CD you can make from the program and wiped the wrong one by mistake) :o

dugimodo
28-12-2014, 08:05 AM
If they are empty or contain nothing you want to keep it might be simplest to delete the partition and create a new one then format, should be an option in the right click menu in disk management. Just make sure you have the right drive selected.

spooky
28-12-2014, 10:22 AM
I am at present downloading a copy of epm.exe but at 31.2Kb/s its going to take over 4 1/2 hrs so its going to be tomorrow at the earliest before I can continue with this rescue. Thanks for all your help so far. I will keep you apraised of developments as they happen.

wainuitech
28-12-2014, 10:33 AM
I am at present downloading a copy of epm.exe but at 31.2Kb/s its going to take over 4 1/2 hrs so its going to be tomorrow at the earliest before I can continue with this rescue. Thanks for all your help so far. I will keep you apraised of developments as they happen. Bad move using that :groan: It will install several other programs if you are not careful, as well as Malware related software. EaseUP is not the same as the AOMEI linked.

spooky
28-12-2014, 05:55 PM
Thank you for the heads up. Luckily for me my download was terminated by St. John testing my wife's life-link alarm and I have not restarted the d/l. I will change my target and wait until I go to town and use the free wifi there. Again thanks.