PDA

View Full Version : uac

Guillaume
25-12-2014, 10:47 AM
Can anyone advise how I disable User Account Control in Windows 8.1?

dugimodo
25-12-2014, 11:04 AM
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-nz/windows/turn-user-account-control-on-off#1TC=windows-7

But why would you want to.

nmercer
25-12-2014, 11:21 AM
do not turn off UAC, Windows 8.x -> is designed to run with it turned on

pctek
25-12-2014, 12:53 PM
I run Windows with it disabled.
It's a PITA.

Never had a problem.

nmercer
25-12-2014, 01:46 PM
try running a Windows Store / Modern app and it won't work

if the notifications are annoying you turn them off, but don't turn UAC off

or better yet don't run as a local administrator, run as a standard user

seat belts are a PITA in my car but I still wear them when I drive

pcuser42
25-12-2014, 04:20 PM
I have Windows 8.1 with UAC at default settings and never really had an issue with it...

wainuitech
25-12-2014, 07:15 PM
I have Windows 8.1 with UAC at default settings and never really had an issue with it...

:thumbs::+1: I let it run as it came from default, NEVER had it pop up stopping anything.

Guillaume
26-12-2014, 10:17 AM
I am running Dragon Naurally Speaking Home 13 and every time I try to open it is posp up a message:"DHS requires elevation please run set.exe from the installation source".

A guy on the Nuance forums emailed "This is what happens when you purchasee your Dragon software directly from Nuance or a box pusher. You should ONLY purchase from Nuance certified resellers who actually use the software; like the ones that volunteer their time on the KnowBrainer Forum. That's where I purchased my software and while there are about a dozen sand traps that my reseller helped me to avoid, the biggest issue, which is the problem you are experiencing, is the necessity to disable the UAC. If you do not know how to disable the UAC on Windows 8 (User Account Control) repost your question on the KnowBrainer Forum and someone will give you more detailed instructions."

I bought my copy dirrect from Nuance and have prevoilsly never had a problem. I did think it a bit strange that anyone would advocate disabbling the User Account -- anyway I could find no way of doing this. Perhaps I'll ring Nuance Technical Helpline when they reopen.

gary67
26-12-2014, 11:46 AM
I don't have it on here on any of the computers

nmercer
26-12-2014, 12:52 PM
I am running Dragon Naurally Speaking Home 13 and every time I try to open it is posp up a message:"DHS requires elevation please run set.exe from the installation source".

A guy on the Nuance forums emailed "This is what happens when you purchasee your Dragon software directly from Nuance or a box pusher. You should ONLY purchase from Nuance certified resellers who actually use the software; like the ones that volunteer their time on the KnowBrainer Forum. That's where I purchased my software and while there are about a dozen sand traps that my reseller helped me to avoid, the biggest issue, which is the problem you are experiencing, is the necessity to disable the UAC. If you do not know how to disable the UAC on Windows 8 (User Account Control) repost your question on the KnowBrainer Forum and someone will give you more detailed instructions."

I bought my copy dirrect from Nuance and have prevoilsly never had a problem. I did think it a bit strange that anyone would advocate disabbling the User Account -- anyway I could find no way of doing this. Perhaps I'll ring Nuance Technical Helpline when they reopen.

if you need to disable UAC, just type "User Account Control" on the Windows start screen, or in the Control Panel search box

But I don't understand why you would have to. 5 seconds in a search engine and I found this:

http://nuance.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6743/kw/user%20Account%20Control

Should User Account Control (UAC) be enabled or disabled when running Dragon NaturallySpeaking?

Answer:

Dragon NaturallySpeaking is designed to operate with the User Account Control (UAC) setting within Windows 7 and Vista set to "ON". In Windows Vista, there are two levels (On/Off), while Windows 7 has four levels. Nuance recommends keeping UAC set to ON for Windows Vista, and in any of the top three levels on Windows 7.

Chilling_Silence
26-12-2014, 10:44 PM
I always turn it off, first thing I do. Otherwise I find myself always having it interfere every time I'm doing X Y or Z. It's different from Linux coz there's no way for you to queue up the installation of all the programs you want in one hit, and even launching games on Steam will trigger it semi-regularly. Such a pain :-/

Speedy Gonzales
27-12-2014, 09:09 AM
Same here, its disabled on the pc's here. So is system restore