PDA

View Full Version : New HDD recommendations

skeptile2
24-12-2014, 10:50 PM
Hi all,

Looking for a new HDD to go into my PC. Should be around 1-3 TB, and a hybrid drive is not needed as I have an SSD for Windows.
Obviously now is the time to look because of boxing day sales in a couple of days so price isn't aaaas much of an issue as normal. Although I'd still be looking at under $150.

I'm coming to you guys because I don't know where to start when picking out a drive amongst the hundreds of different types of drive each company has (Seagate, WD etc.) have, all which appear the same to me.

Better yet, teach me how to know what all the numbers and jibberish mean :D

Thanks,

Skeptile

pctek
25-12-2014, 06:35 AM
Buy Western Digital.
Just look at that brand, the size you want and that's mainly all you need to worry about.

SSD or sata? If Sata then there are Green, Blue, Black etc - this mainly indicates warranty - black being the longest.

Digby
25-12-2014, 12:39 PM
OP
I think you know more about hard drives than you let on.

ronyville
25-12-2014, 12:45 PM
I guess the new will be just a storage drive since windows is on SSD

http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=HDDSE3004&name=Seagate-3TB-Barracuda-SATA3-7200RPM-6Gbs-64MB-Inte

skeptile2
26-12-2014, 01:43 PM
Well plot twist my dad got me a 2TB WD Green for xmas, so I don't need to look at buying one anymore.

Digby - while I like to think I know plenty about computers and having built quite a few myself its probably not too far off, its a very rare occasion when I actually buy parts. I know how to do all sorts of stuff to HDDs like cloning, partitioning etc., I've never actually bought one myself. So I wanna find out more about what to look for when I do actually need to buy them. The grand list of internal parts I've ever bought new: Asus 770 GTX

Every other part has just been second hand lol