PDA

View Full Version : Antimalware Scanner for MAC

wainuitech
20-12-2014, 04:36 PM
Yes, got a MAC here, with OS X 10.4. I need a Free antimalware scanner or Online scanner for this. It has LOTS of pop ups so its got some sort if infection.

The only problem is the OS is to old for everything I have looked at. MANY say it will run on 10.4 but when you go to use it it says 10.6 or above.

Anyone got anything positive that will run on the older 10.4 ?

wainuitech
20-12-2014, 04:52 PM
Never mind - Just found a version of kaspersky that will do it, its found several infections already. :)

pcuser42
20-12-2014, 04:57 PM
Who said Macs never get viruses ;)

Webdevguy
20-12-2014, 05:38 PM
Yes, got a MAC here, with OS X 10.4. I need a Free antimalware scanner or Online scanner for this. It has LOTS of pop ups so its got some sort if infection.

The only problem is the OS is to old for everything I have looked at. MANY say it will run on 10.4 but when you go to use it it says 10.6 or above.

Anyone got anything positive that will run on the older 10.4 ?

I doubt very much that you will find anything that old for a Mac. I would also doubt that it actually has Malware on it unless the owner actually installed something without being aware of it. Also the bulk of Malware tends to be .exe files which won't run on Macs. Have you cleared the browser cache - that will normally stop any pop ups. I do that If I get any dodgy browser related crap.

If you do want a network monitor then I would highly recommend Little Snitch. I have it on my iMac, you can set it to filter just about anything. It rocks. Only thing is I am not sure that they have a version old enough for 10.4 which was first released in 2005. That is several life times back in Mac terms.

The owner would probably be better off updating their Mac and making their life easier.

They must be using a very old Mac if it is running 10.4.

Webdevguy
20-12-2014, 05:41 PM
They don't, unless the owner is able to find and manually install it, but if they can do that then they deserve to get what ever they installed.

Webdevguy
20-12-2014, 05:42 PM
What were the file extensions on the files?

Webdevguy
20-12-2014, 05:50 PM
I'd suggest this (http://alternativeto.net/software/little-snitch/) above all other "anti virus" protection out there.

wainuitech
20-12-2014, 07:08 PM
kaspersky reported / found and deleted two Trojans ( both Modified) and 1 worm.

As reported on the Apple site https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2435
TROJANS and RE-DIRECTION TO FAKE WEBSITES
The appearance of Trojans and other malware that can possibly infect a Mac seems to be growing, but is a completely different issue to viruses.

Once the 3 were removed, all the pop ups disappeared, the browser started working again like it should & the whole computer was running a lot better. All the networking settings were locked and unable to change them. The DNS was certainly not the standard telstra (vodafone) as listed. Once the above were removed they could be changed. Luckily the wireless was still working.

Proofs in the outcome.

ronyville
20-12-2014, 07:17 PM
http://www.clamxav.com/

Give it a try as well....

wainuitech
20-12-2014, 07:28 PM
Tried that Rony ( thanks for the suggestion) -- But when attempting to install it said it couldn't install on 10.4.11 :mad:

Cant remember the exact full name but one was known as "koobface", a cross-platform malware
Koobface managed to wreck so much havoc using social networking websites, ------ Unlike other malware, it spared no OS, be it Windows, Mac, or even Linux. The computer worm proved to be a really hard nut for the security experts to crack, Another that lives on these sites ;)

wainuitech
20-12-2014, 08:11 PM
Have you cleared the browser cache - that will normally stop any pop ups. I do that If I get any dodgy browser related crap.

Tried that, but just about all settings in the Browser were grayed out at the beginning.

The Networking settings, when trying to change the IP address, (so I could connect it to my LAN) Settings also grayed out , a pop up from the OS, advised ( cant remember exact wording) but it was something like another program is controlling network settings. Clicking OK just resulted in a endless loop of the message.

Once the 3 were removed everything worked as it should, including cleaning as suggested.

She told me -----Shes been advised by her friends to upgrade, but shes quite happy to stick with what she has.

Webdevguy
20-12-2014, 09:19 PM
Tried that, but just about all settings in the Browser were grayed out at the beginning.

The Networking settings, when trying to change the IP address, (so I could connect it to my LAN) Settings also grayed out , a pop up from the OS, advised ( cant remember exact wording) but it was something like another program is controlling network settings. Clicking OK just resulted in a endless loop of the message.

Once the 3 were removed everything worked as it should, including cleaning as suggested.

She told me -----Shes been advised by her friends to upgrade, but shes quite happy to stick with what she has.
That's a bummer, I'm guessing the owner is an older user?

Have to say that is the first bit of Malware that I have ever heard of being removed from a Mac in all my years as a Mac user.

Webdevguy
20-12-2014, 09:33 PM
I'm also guessing the malware was browser based?

wainuitech
20-12-2014, 09:33 PM
That's a bummer, I'm guessing the owner is an older user?

Have to say that is the first bit of Malware that I have ever heard of being removed from a Mac in all my years as a Mac user. Its more of a $$ thing I think ( not really my place to dig any deeper).

MAC's having infections is not uncommon so it seems. Last year I got a call from a person relating to a MAC problem, She was quite upset and I was told several other places in wgtn that deal with MAC's had told her she would have to wait 3-4 weeks as they had so many to repair. Hmmmmmm

Seemed a bit strange - So I got two of their names and called. Introduced myself and the name of my company and what I did, and asked how come it was such a long wait ? During the conversation I mentioned about MAC's infections, and the guy laughed, saying you'd be surprised how many they had on the shelves waiting to have malware removed. ( his words not mine).

Guess in some ways its a user problem, if someone installs something and doesn't look or simply allow it to install ( any OS) then all the safety precautions in a OS don't matter.

plod
20-12-2014, 09:49 PM
Unfortunately 10.4 is no longer supported and hasn't for a while I believe. It has as much business being on a computer as Xp has. I'd you would like a copy of 10.6 I can get you one presuming the hardware is capable

Webdevguy
20-12-2014, 09:50 PM
Guess in some ways its a user problem, if someone installs something and doesn't look or simply allow it to install ( any OS) then all the safety precautions in a OS don't matter.
Yup, social engineering and getting the user to install something. If you can achieve that it makes your job so much easier.

Webdevguy
20-12-2014, 09:52 PM
Unfortunately 10.4 is no longer supported and hasn't for a while I believe. It has as much business being on a computer as Xp has. I'd you would like a copy of 10.6 I can get you one presuming the hardware is capable

You would be right about that.

KarameaDave
21-12-2014, 07:24 AM
As these products from the fruitisphere become more popular
the bad actors will target them more

Makes sense if you think about it
mac users are usually wealthy, and many follow blindly, ideal fodder for the cybercrim.

Inevitable.

wainuitech
21-12-2014, 08:27 AM
Unfortunately 10.4 is no longer supported and hasn't for a while I believe. It has as much business being on a computer as Xp has. I'd you would like a copy of 10.6 I can get you one presuming the hardware is capable Thanks for the Offer Plod, I'll have a look at its specs first, and I'll ask the Owner if shes wanting to upgrade it. It is quite old.

wainuitech
21-12-2014, 08:42 AM
Heres the About:

Webdevguy
21-12-2014, 08:46 AM
Heres the About:

That IMac won't take Yosemite. It's the same age as my old IMac that I gave away to my friends daughter. I replaced mine with a much newer IMac which is now running Yosemite(the most recent OS)

plod
21-12-2014, 08:55 AM
Heres the About:

that will have no problem running 10.6, although with only 1 GB of ram im not 100% sure. I dont have any ddr2 about but any laptop ddr2 will fit. two screws at the underneath of screen.

plod
21-12-2014, 09:00 AM
That IMac won't take Yosemite. It's the same age as my old IMac that I gave away to my friends daughter. I replaced mine with a much newer IMac which is now running Yosemite(the most recent OS)pretty sure it will take it if its the aluminium model as i have one here running it.

icow
21-12-2014, 03:45 PM
I'm pretty sure no aluminium/unibody Macs were released with OS X Tiger.

plod
21-12-2014, 04:33 PM
I'm pretty sure no aluminium/unibody Macs were released with OS X Tiger.im sure they did, my first intel mac was this.http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-2-duo-2.0-20-inch-aluminum-specs.html
son has it now running 10.9mavericks. thought it was 10.10 yosemite but i now remember it wouldnt install

wainuitech
21-12-2014, 05:04 PM
im sure they did, my first intel mac was this.http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-2-duo-2.0-20-inch-aluminum-specs.html
son has it now running 10.9mavericks. thought it was 10.10 yosemite but i now remember it wouldnt install The one in the link is what this one looks like,but its plastic, not aluminium.
It has a 17" screen ( measured on the Diagonal)

Damn thing just about made me crap earlier --:lol: Wasn't expecting to talk back to me -- I clicked on the software update, while I had my back to it, I suddenly heard a voice from behind "excuse me software update requires your attention" WTF !!! :D

Next thing I know its telling me in the same voice when it was 1/4 past the hour ---Big deal was the reply :lol:

plod
21-12-2014, 05:18 PM
The one in the link is what this one looks like,but its plastic, not aluminium.It has a 17" screen ( measured on the Diagonal)Damn thing just about made me crap earlier --:lol: Wasn't expecting to talk back to me -- I clicked on the software update, while I had my back to it, I suddenly heard a voice from behind "excuse me software update requires your attention" WTF !!! :DNext thing I know its telling me in the same voice when it was 1/4 past the hour ---Big deal was the reply :lol:Still will take 10.6. Might even do 10.9. Owner should bare in mind that computer is coming up to 9 years old and will be on original hardware. I like getting the most out of my computers. But that is really long in the tooth. We replaced our because flash was unusable on it