PDA

View Full Version : Bootstrap css help

WayneMiddy
18-12-2014, 04:36 PM
Hi all this is only my 2nd site and my first responsive Bootstrap site. Quite a big leaning curve at 56 years, think i was born 30 years to early.

Here is the problem at www.onsiteelectronic.co.nz under Services see the Computer page the Pagination has no css applied. but when i add the cdn line in the head section (see Television) its working but I lose the top nav menu on screen other than a small view port.
TIA Wayne

Webdevguy
18-12-2014, 06:40 PM
Hi all this is only my 2nd site and my first responsive Bootstrap site. Quite a big leaning curve at 56 years, think i was born 30 years to early.

Here is the problem at www.onsiteelectronic.co.nz under Services see the Computer page the Pagination has no css applied. but when i add the cdn line in the head section (see Television) its working but I lose the top nav menu on screen other than a small view port.
TIA Wayne

Hi Wayne, just a small suggestion. From a professional perspective it is better to build your site off line then upload it once it is completed and tested.

With regards to the bootstrap issue, I'll have a look at that after dinner :)

Also from what I can see none of the pages in your menu appear to be linked yet, or if they are they are not responding to any user action.

WayneMiddy
18-12-2014, 11:07 PM
Thanks Webdevguy yes i do understand what you are saying, just thought it would be easier if you could see the issue. The site not been listed with Google as yet so doesn't show up in any search results.
As for the links only the Home & Contact pages so far haven't created the other pages until i get this issue sorted.
Thanks for your help Wayne

Webdevguy
19-12-2014, 05:57 AM
Thanks Webdevguy yes i do understand what you are saying, just thought it would be easier if you could see the issue. The site not been listed with Google as yet so doesn't show up in any search results.
As for the links only the Home & Contact pages so far haven't created the other pages until i get this issue sorted.
A few more questions...
What is the extent of your knowledge of html5 and css3?
Have you drawn a layout plan for phone, tablet and desktop of your website?
Do you use the "inspect element" feature in your web browser?

Webdevguy
19-12-2014, 11:45 AM

Just one small thing while you are building your site - change the <meta> tag to <meta name="robots" content="nofollow" />

Also, with regards to the pagination, how many pages is your site going to have when it is finished?

WayneMiddy
19-12-2014, 12:09 PM
With regards to your questions I have done a couple of courses re html & css and yes i know that doesn't make me a website designer but i learn by doing it myself.
No layout plan for the 3 view ports i thought i had the home & contact pages working well in all screen sizes.

Good point about the meta tag will sort that.
With regards to the pagination i just put that in there to see if i can get it to work as it something i may use. With regards to the page numbers 8 to 10 to start with + 5 to 10 for the Sales section but some thing i will add to as required and yes i know i will have to update every page with the links to any new page added.
Thanks for the help
Wayne

Webdevguy
19-12-2014, 12:30 PM
With regards to your questions I have done a couple of courses re html & css and yes i know that doesn't make me a website designer but i learn by doing it myself.
No layout plan for the 3 view ports i thought i had the home & contact pages working well in all screen sizes.

Good point about the meta tag will sort that.
With regards to the pagination i just put that in there to see if i can get it to work as it something i may use. With regards to the page numbers 8 to 10 to start with + 5 to 10 for the Sales section but some thing i will add to as required and yes i know i will have to update every page with the links to any new page added.
Thanks for the help
Wayne

Hi Wayne, don't worry about pagination until you actually need it.
About PLANNING your responsive website... Get a pen or pencil and draw a plan for 3 different layout sizes (mobile, tablet, Desktop) before you start.. It's ALWAYS a good idea. Then work out the type of content you are going to put on your pages and how it will look when the pages are resized. It also helps to keep you on track when building the site when you start coding.

Have you mapped out the content for each of your Sales pages?

Since it sounds like you are going to be doing a reasonable amount of pages and updating the content on those pages have you considered putting your site into Wordpress when it is finished?

WayneMiddy
19-12-2014, 02:38 PM
Thanks Webdivguy The plan for the sales page was basic image on the left and some text on the right with a more info button to a more detailed page. The sale side is secondary to our business and just something i through I might add.

With regards to Wordpress I gather this is for CMS I wouldn't know where to start but always up for a challenge.Its a bit like the shopping cart I have had a look at some options but at the moment just want to get the site up and running.

Thanks for your help much appreciated.
Wayne

Webdevguy
19-12-2014, 03:35 PM
Thanks Webdivguy The plan for the sales page was basic image on the left and some text on the right with a more info button to a more detailed page. The sale side is secondary to our business and just something i through I might add.

With regards to Wordpress I gather this is for CMS I wouldn't know where to start but always up for a challenge.Its a bit like the shopping cart I have had a look at some options but at the moment just want to get the site up and running.

Thanks for your help much appreciated.
Wayne
Yes, Wordpress is a CMS. If you are just building a 4-5 page site where nothing will be updated then a static HTML site would suffice but when your requirements run to 10 pages or more with renewable content, that is where frameworks like Wordpress come into the fray. When you try to edit 15 pages of HTML the work becomes tedious and mistakes pop up very easily. When you edit 10 pages on Wordpress it is much easier as you do the edits all in one place and they affect multiple pages simultaneously.

Before you experiment with any more coding I would suggest that you do some research and answer the following questions...
Is this site to promote your business?
Have you looked at other companies sales or electronic sites to compare their design layouts to yours?
Have you also done the same thing with your landing page and service pages?
Have you mapped out your page requirements on a website mock up program like Balsamic or with a pad and paper?
Have you sourced all the images you are going to use?
Do you know what style of fonts you are going to use( don't use the default ones they are boring) what colours are you using ( other than the default black - that usually ends up looking amateurish.

Just as a matter of interest - if you were to get a quote done from a professional website design company to build your site to promote your business in the best possible way you would be looking at spending between NZ $6000.00 to NZ $20,000.00 ( price would include hosting and site maintenance) depending on design research, responsive design, customer usability, updatable database, store front, linking to Paypal etc.

Food for thought :)