PDA

View Full Version : Wierd Broadband Usage

Woody
18-12-2014, 04:03 PM
Received this morning e-mail alert that my broadband usage had reached 80% of my plan of 40Gb.
Very strange as I had not been using any large transfers at all.
Checked modem activity - all leds flashing furiously although nothing was coming to or from the computer.
Checked BB usage and although most days recorded between 200 and 400 Mb, yesterday reported 15GB and today (up till 9 am) 19GB.
Rebooted modem and all activity returned to normal.
It appears that modem had latched on overnight but what the hell was all the data apparently downloaded?:?
Spark help desk very helpful. Took all details and advised that they would call back later. Called back in about 3/4 hour took all details again (Phillipines)and progressed my call to local guy.
Also very helpful - as my plan of 40gB was exceeded, my BB access was throttled back to dial-up speed and he restored to normal for the remainder of my billing period as the problem was not caused by me.
He acknowledged that there was as problem causing some heartaches and the Tech guys were working on it furiously.
So there's a plus for Spark Help desk eh?
35GB overnight ?????????

wainuitech
18-12-2014, 05:50 PM
35 GB easy if theres something being downloaded or uploaded. An example is torrents. if someone had hacked into the wireless ( assuming you have wireless) they could easily clock up usage.

Yesterday I brought through roughly 12GB in less than an hour (legit Programs, operating systems, Drivers for two computers etc) so 35Gb over Night would be easy.

PPp
18-12-2014, 06:12 PM
I think I would be running a deep scan on a updated AV, there seems to be a few nasties around at the moment.