PDA

View Full Version : Flickering LCD screen ?

Leslie
17-12-2014, 07:57 PM
Hi all, I hope someone can steer me in the right direction, I am getting a lot of flickering on my LCD screen.
When I start the PC the windows XP screen comes up nice and clear and so does the normal screen for a few minutes but after that I get a lot flickering on my screen.
It doesnít get that bad that I canít read the writing on the screen but just gets a bit annoying.
I donít use this PC much but really only as a back up when my laptop needs attention.
I donít play games on this pc only use it for basic internet reading.
So any help diagnosing this problem would be very much appreciated.
Thanks.

Leslie
18-12-2014, 06:17 PM
Just a bit of an update, I took the graphic card out and noticed the fan on it was all blocked up with dust, also the surrounding area was dirty, so I give a good clean up, it was working really well for about 5 minutes then started to go flicky again slowly getting worse over about 30 minutes but about 30 % better than it was originally going.

I also downloaded techPoerUP, it is saying the gpu is running at 34.0 to 36.0 C, I am thinking that is ok,
Is there any other way i can nail it down to what is causing this ?

any other suggestions would be fantastic.
thanks

feersumendjinn
18-12-2014, 08:48 PM
Try using the motherboard integrated video output, if it has that.
I'd say your video card is perhaps starting to die.
Could also be bad capacitors (https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=bad+caps&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=k4WSVKSvC5D28QWptYKQBA) in power supply/motherboard/video card, or overheating perhaps. Computer sounds quite old.
Can you take a photo of the fault, and post it here?

Leslie
19-12-2014, 10:49 AM
Thanks for your reply, yes it is an older PC, the motherboard is a ASUS P4P800-X, the graphic card is a Radeon 9600.
I do not know what a motherboard integrated video output is, I wish I had another video card or even another lcd screen to try out, seems ok when it is cold but as soon as it starts to warm up, starts to flicker again and the longer it is going the worse it gets also I don't know how to post a photo of the fault.
thanks for help.

Alex B
19-12-2014, 11:11 AM
Test the screen plugged into your laptop

Agent_24
19-12-2014, 03:01 PM
also I don't know how to post a photo of the fault.
thanks for help.

You can upload images as attachments to the forum here, when you reply, click "Go Advanced" and you will find the upload options there...

Or you could take a video and post it on Youtube etc - might be better at showing the problem actually.

Leslie
19-12-2014, 05:41 PM
It turned out to be the LCD screen itself after using my laptop, so at least I know for sure it had nothing to do with the PC itself.
Thank you very much guys for your help.

I hope you have a top weekend.