PDA

View Full Version : VirtualBox and OSX

johcar
15-12-2014, 05:34 PM
Dabbling with dark side

Downloaded VirtualBox today, along with an image of Ubuntu (.iso) and OSX 10.7.4 (.dmg)

Installed Ubuntu OK but am having difficulties with the Apple OS.

When I start the VirtualBox OSX instance (with the OSX image mounted on the virtual DVD) I get the following window:

What is going on here?

wainuitech
15-12-2014, 05:53 PM
Dont have a OSX to try it, but did you follow like these instructions : http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Run-Mac-OS-X-Inside-Windows-Using-VirtualBo/#step1 You have to remember that a MAC OS wont install on a Windows based PC like it will on Apple hardware.

johcar
15-12-2014, 06:11 PM
Cheers, will check that out later on...

johnd
15-12-2014, 09:49 PM
Technically this is illegal if you are not installing onto Apple hardware- see the software license at http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/MacOSX.htm. To quote: "A. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time". So even if you own a license you are not supposed to install it onto non-Apple HW.

Webdevguy
15-12-2014, 10:21 PM
Dabbling with dark side

Downloaded VirtualBox today, along with an image of Ubuntu (.iso) and OSX 10.7.4 (.dmg)

Installed Ubuntu OK but am having difficulties with the Apple OS.

When I start the VirtualBox OSX instance (with the OSX image mounted on the virtual DVD) I get the following window:

What is going on here?

Dabbling is fine but if you actyly wanted to be sensible and make life easy for yourself you could just get a Mac and install Windows on boot camp or get Parallels and install windows and a few versions of Linux and be up and running quick smart and tinker to your hearts content.

Trying to install Mac on a Windows set up just tells me that you are a bit of a masocist.

johcar
16-12-2014, 09:45 AM
Dabbling is fine but if you actyly wanted to be sensible and make life easy for yourself you could just get a Mac and install Windows on boot camp or get Parallels and install windows and a few versions of Linux and be up and running quick smart and tinker to your hearts content.

Trying to install Mac on a Windows set up just tells me that you are a bit of a masocist.

Yeah - probably right about the masochism... :)

But since I have already spent $1300 on a whiz-bang Windows machine (i7, 64bit, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 15.6" touchscreen), it would seem to be somewhat ludicrous to fork out another $2700 for an Apple machine of a similar spec...

Which is one of the main reasons I dislike the Apple ecosystem - overpriced.

That said, I thought it would be an interesting exercise to see if it's possible and to see what I might be "missing out on"....

I find it interesting (and telling) that Microsoft doesn't care if you install Windows on an Apple (via Bootcamp or Parallels), but Apple does seem to care if you install their OS on a Windows machine (or at least a non-Apple machine - which is essentially the same thing)...

Webdevguy
17-12-2014, 10:29 PM
I find it interesting (and telling) that Microsoft doesn't care if you install Windows on an Apple (via Bootcamp or Parallels), but Apple does seem to care if you install their OS on a Windows machine (or at least a non-Apple machine - which is essentially the same thing)...

That is not really odd, unusuall or anything else, it's just part of Bill Gates orginal plan which was to sell software to run on any personal computer which was a bloody good business idea.

Apple had a slightly different idea.. To build a computer and the software that runs on it and sell it to you as a package.

Back then Bill gates cunning plan turned out to be the winner until Windows Vista arrived.

gary67
18-12-2014, 06:37 AM
Bill Gates worked out not everybody is a sheep, a large proportion of the population did care back then that you could use your legally bought software on any hardware. Since those days more and more people are becoming sheep like and just following the fanboy flock

Webdevguy
18-12-2014, 07:34 AM
Bill Gates worked out not everybody is a sheep, a large proportion of the population did care back then that you could use your legally bought software on any hardware. Since those days more and more people are becoming sheep like and just following the fanboy flock
Nope, I don't think sheep had anything to do with it. At that stage computers were huge servers and there were only a few in use by big companies who could afford them. Bill gates had an idea to sell software that would run on a small personal computer that would be affordable to joe public. The idea had never been run before. He also had the idea to appeal to enterprise and get his software into big business whose IT decisions affect hundreds of thousands of company staffers.

What some people on this forum
Seem to over look is Bill gates designed software and then licensed that software to any hardware maker who paid the fee to put it on their PC.

Apple designed the software and the hardware on the Apple Computer so obviously they would sell it as a package.

Bill Gates actually wrote some of the first software for the Apple.