PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8.1 has an inconsistent internet connection

johcar
15-12-2014, 10:15 AM
(Posted this on windowssecrets.com forum, but haven't had much back in the way of useful solutions. I'm sure there are more knowledgeable people here...)

I recently bought a shiny new Asus Ultrabook. This machine had Windows 8 pre-installed. After I booted it up and started setting it up the way I want it, it upgraded itself to Windows 8.1.

Since that time I have had numerous problems connection to web pages (via Chrome and IE). The other machines in the house (4 x Win 7, plus two Android Tablets and one Android phone) have no such problem.

The symptoms appear straightforward:

Start Browser
Enter URL (or select Favorite)
Browser connects to site (50(-ish)% of the time)

If the browser does not connect, I find that unplugging the ethernet cable and plugging it back in, then reloading the page usually works

I Googled this issue and it seems to be relatively common...

One solution I tried was "flushing the DNS cache" following these steps:

Here are the steps you will need to flush the dns:
1. Start screen
2. Search
3. cmd:control, shift & enter keys at same time, this gives you admin access
4. type: netsh int ip reset then:
5. netsh winsock reset
Then restart your computer

..which I found in a post here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com...tpronetworking (https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/d799e421-c965-4b0c-9829-1dc2c37fbb58/windows-81-loses-internet-connectivity?forum=w8itpronetworking)

This seemed to work for an hour or so after restarting, but the machine has now reverted to its previous bad habit.

Is this an artefact of a Win8 to Win8.1 upgrade? I have heard that a clean install of 8.1 does not exhibit this issue...

Does anyone have a permanent solution?

Chilling_Silence
15-12-2014, 10:23 AM
There were some issues with Windows 8.1 and how it handled DNS from the Telecom / Spark routers. What router are you using?
Does this also occur if you tether to your Cellphone and browse for a few minutes?

CliveM
15-12-2014, 11:43 AM
What Chill said. If you are with Telecom/xtra/spark change your DNS to either Googles or ODNS ones.

wainuitech
15-12-2014, 11:43 AM
Every time I've seen this its a DNS issue as Chill said.

Either change to Googles DNS or you can also try disabling IPv6 in the network Connection if that doesn't work.

Renegade
15-12-2014, 11:47 AM
Not only Spark routers, had it occasionally with others too. My 8.1 workshop desktop connected via ethernet to a TP-link dropped until I changed to Google's DNS.

Lawrence
15-12-2014, 12:49 PM
Try DNS Jumper http://www.tomsguide.com/us/download/DNS-jumper,0301-26272.html

Find the fastest DNS server(manual entry for NZ),if you are having webpage loading issues just check against DNS server

Chilling_Silence
15-12-2014, 03:48 PM
Yeh I do likewise, just set to GoogleDNS and be done with the issue :D

johcar
15-12-2014, 04:01 PM
Thanks guys - I have changed to Google DNS server settings and will see how that improves things. I am with Spark and am running a Technicolor TG589vn V2 router...

I don't understand why this would only affect my Win8.1 machine while all the other equipment on the same network on Win7 or Android are fine. Weird!

wainuitech
15-12-2014, 04:22 PM
Thanks guys - I have changed to Google DNS server settings and will see how that improves things. I am with Spark and am running a Technicolor TG589vn V2 router...

I don't understand why this would only affect my Win8.1 machine while all the other equipment on the same network on Win7 or Android are fine. Weird! As chill mentioned its 8.1 and Sparks DNS -- blame which ever of the two you dislike the most :p

johcar
15-12-2014, 04:42 PM
.... so far, so good... (And I think, even with my short experience with it, I'll blame Windows 8.1, since I have been a Spark/Telecom customer for years with no issues :D)

Chilling_Silence
16-12-2014, 12:34 AM
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?135922

johcar
16-12-2014, 10:24 AM
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?135922

Interesting - thanks

nmercer
17-12-2014, 09:57 AM
This is an issue with the router not Windows 8.1

Router doesn't conform to the specs

Other telcos around the world using have rolled out a firmware update to their routers to address

But blame Microsoft if that makes you feel better

johcar
17-12-2014, 10:12 AM
I am justified in blaming Microsoft. They obviously changed something in Win8 that worked just fine in Win7 (the 4 x Win7 machines and the multiple Android devices in this household still connect to the Interwebs perfectly well, with no DNS changes).

So my modem hasn't had the firmware fix that makes the Win8 issue go away - I'm not blaming Technicolor or my ISP for that.

If Win8 hadn't introduced an issue for the particular modem I am using, there would be no need for Technicolor to roll out a modem patch.

Chilling_Silence
17-12-2014, 11:42 AM
Technically Technicolor ignoring the "standard" is bad. This is what got Microsoft into so much trouble with IE.

Like it or not, the fault is most definitely not Microsoft here, and for once I applaud them for sticking to the standards.

Swap your router, problem will go away. We all know those Technicolor ones are junk ;)

johcar
17-12-2014, 11:55 AM
Technically Technicolor ignoring the "standard" is bad. This is what got Microsoft into so much trouble with IE.

Like it or not, the fault is most definitely not Microsoft here, and for once I applaud them for sticking to the standards.

Swap your router, problem will go away. We all know those Technicolor ones are junk ;)

OK, but it still doesn't explain why Win7 works fine with the Technicolor....

wainuitech
17-12-2014, 12:04 PM
OK, but it still doesn't explain why Win7 works fine with the Technicolor.... Personally I'm a little bit shocked & Confused by some of the questions relating to this. Being a IT Consultant you should know that old technology can become outdated and needs to be upgraded from time to time.

Windows 8 -8.1 & 10 all work fine on any of the routers I've put in either ADSL and its variants or Cable. I use mainly the Middle to higher end (not cheap budget) Netgear Equipment, never had a problem.

A classic example of outdated equipment -- A while back went to a business, their internet was slow as a wet week and dropping off all the time, they had been onto Spark, countless times, all the tests run and the line was Fine.
Changed out their Technicolor router for a old netgear I use for testing and instantly things sped up and went stable. Then put in a more modern, higher spec Netgear Modem/Router and it was a totally different connection - original Speed was 5-6 mbps after it jumped to 13-15mbps. All that was changed was the Modem/Router.

johcar
17-12-2014, 12:30 PM
Personally I'm a little bit shocked & Confused by some of the questions relating to this. Being a IT Consultant you should know that old technology can become outdated and needs to be upgraded from time to time.

Windows 8 -8.1 & 10 all work fine on any of the routers I've put in either ADSL and its variants or Cable. I use mainly the Middle to higher end (not cheap budget) Netgear Equipment, never had a problem.

A classic example of outdated equipment -- A while back went to a business, their internet was slow as a wet week and dropping off all the time, they had been onto Spark, countless times, all the tests run and the line was Fine.
Changed out their Technicolor router for a old netgear I use for testing and instantly things sped up and went stable. Then put in a more modern, higher spec Netgear Modem/Router and it was a totally different connection - original Speed was 5-6 mbps after it jumped to 13-15mbps. All that was changed was the Modem/Router.

:D - being an IT Consultant , I RELY on the fact that old technology can become outdated and needs to be upgraded from time to time!!! :D

My issue here is that I had a number of devices happily connecting to the internet through my trusty and trusted TG589 VDSL modem.

I then buy a new laptop with a newer operating system that is apparently using a different protocol to talk to the modem than my existing devices use, and I have to change my settings on the new device to make it work.

The existing devices are STILL connecting happily - with no changes to their settings.

Happy to make changes, once I understand what the problem is, but my point is that Microsoft obviously changed something between Win7 and Win8 and whatever they changed was not backwards compatible - for a reason that is not readily available.

For a consumer-level Joe Blow user (one who doesn't have - or want - access to a knowledge-base like this), that seems unacceptable - although it's probably a great opportunity for service centres around the world to troubleshoot and resolve customer connectivity problems... ;)

I live for change, but being a tester at heart, I also live for documentation.

johcar
17-12-2014, 12:34 PM
As an aside, if I was to replace the Technicolor with a Draytek, which model would you recommend?

I'm VDSL currently, with good speeds, but hope to go to fibre when it gets rolled eventually...

EDIT: Actually - doesn't have to be Draytek, but would like it to be TR069 compatible...

wainuitech
17-12-2014, 01:13 PM
For the Technicolor - check what firmware has been upgraded. According to the GP forums, Post 19 http://www.gpforums.co.nz/threads/478377-Windows-8-1-Upgrade-Ramifications Back in nov 2013, Xtra were "working on it".

The Spark site states the latest firmware ( for the model stated in post #8) is 10.2.5.5 and was meant to be pushed out automatically ? http://help.spark.co.nz/app/answers/detail/a_id/32667/~/technicolor-tg589vn-v2---help-%26-support

Chilling_Silence
17-12-2014, 01:26 PM
DrayTek DV130. Run that along with something like a TL-WR1043ND running Gargoyle firmware. When UFB comes your way, ditch the DV130 and just stick with the DV130.

As wainuitech says, the firmware *ought* to have been pushed out with a fix. There's no reason why Spark / Technicolor can't or shouldn't remotely push out the update.