PDA

View Full Version : password

19-12-2001, 08:04 PM
Using Win.98.On start up the 'enter password' box comes up.How do I get rid of that annoyance.

19-12-2001, 10:22 PM
Dont enter anything into the boxs (no p word)and hit ok button.

Or download X-Setup and let it do it for you, amongst many other useful stuff.

muzz

19-12-2001, 10:22 PM
I can't be sure it will work in Win98 or not, but certainly will work on Win2000. I suppose you are talking about the log on thingy when your computer loads your Win98. Go to Start, Settings, Control Panel, and then scroll down to the bottom, and you should be about to find Users and Passwords. If you can't find something like that, which controls the log on when you turn on your computer. So if you can find Users and Passwords, in the Users tab, uncheck the box for users must enter a user name or password..... Then, click Apply to make sure you got it right, and then click OK. Then it should be all right!

19-12-2001, 10:38 PM
Hi muzz, I originally did have
a password which is causing the problem, I don't know what you mean to download x-set up

19-12-2001, 10:41 PM
How to Stop Windows 95/98 Logon Prompt at Startup
1. Right-click Network Neighborhood, and then click Properties.

2. On the Configuration tab, click Windows Logon in the Primary Network Logon box, and then click OK.

3. When you are prompted to restart your computer, click No.

4. In Control Panel, double-click Passwords.

5. Click the Change Passwords tab, click Change Windows Password, and then click OK.

6. In the Change Windows Password dialog box, type your current Windows password in the Old Password box. Leave the New Password and Confirm New Password boxes blank, click OK, and then click OK.

7. Click the User Profiles tab and verify that the 'All users of this PC use the same preferences and desktop settings' option is selected. Click Close.

8. Shut down and then restart Windows 95/98.

19-12-2001, 10:47 PM
Hi Yonny, yes I have tried opening user settings/get the list which has my password on it/try to delete it/get a message it will delete current settings etc/ok it/tells me I can't delete the setting for a current user.??

19-12-2001, 11:41 PM
Thanks Mike that all makes sense, one small problem, I appear to have forgotton the password :{

20-12-2001, 12:29 AM
Try going: Start,Search, and type in '*.pwl' That will bring up your password files. U can then select your current one and rename it by changing the file extension to .old That should clear your password at login time so you can then click 'OK' without entering one.

20-12-2001, 06:30 AM
Thanks guys, you have solved a problem which has been bugging me for weeks. Hope you have a great Xmas...Bob