PDA

View Full Version : Computer disappears from network

rossnixon
11-12-2014, 10:16 AM
I have a LAN of three computers: XP, Win7, Win8. All on fixed IP addresses. Not using HomeGroup at all.
After large file transfers, the XP computer can no longer see the Win7 computer, but can see the Win8 computer. Both the Win7 and Win8 can see the XP.

The XP can still ping to the Win8 successfully.
I have tried enable/reenable the NIC in the XP and the Win8, but no good.
It isn't the ethernet switch, as I have swapped out the 10/100 for a GbE.
The only fix found, so far, is rebooting the Win8 machine.

What can I try next? Another NIC in the Win8 machine? Or something else first?
Thanks.

wainuitech
11-12-2014, 03:51 PM
That's slightly confusing the way you have written that ??

the XP computer can no longer see the Win7 computer, but can see the Win8 computer.

XP can still ping to the Win8 successfully
The only fix found, so far, is rebooting the Win8 machine.

Errrrr so you can see Win8 and ping it Ok so no problem there -- Doubt its W8 that's the problem with XP not being able to see W7 ( which is what you have written), more likely the XP computer.

See if this does any thing ---- Have a look under the network setting/properties, does XP have TCP/IP V6 ticked or even available ? If V6 is there, untick it (on XP) Also on W7 & W8, is network discovery turned on ?

When the PC ( which ever one it actually is) :) drops, what is the transfer, EG: W7 or W8 to XP, W7 to W8, XP to either one of the others etc.

rossnixon
11-12-2014, 04:19 PM
That's slightly confusing the way you have written that ??
Oh, let me try that again. When the XP machine (PC6) can no longer see the Win7 (PC1) machine, it can still ping to it successfully, but can't open anything via UNC path. Typing \\PC1 into a Run command or Windows Explorer path returns error instead of the shares that PC6 should be able to see.

The last 4 mentions of Win8 in my first post should be Win7, sorry.

Chilling_Silence
11-12-2014, 05:25 PM
Try using \\192.168.1.5\sharename instead, does that work?

wainuitech
11-12-2014, 05:44 PM
Since the only way XP can see W7 ;) is by rebooting W7, when it drops from XP, Can W8 still see W7 or is it only XP that cant see it ?

rossnixon
12-12-2014, 06:19 PM
Since the only way XP can see W7 ;) is by rebooting W7, when it drops from XP, Can W8 still see W7 or is it only XP that cant see it ?
When XP can't see W7, it can still see W8. And W7 can see both still. And W8 can see both still.

Today I copied 1.5GB from W8 to XP. All still OK.
Then I copied 1.5GB from W8 to W7. Now XP can't see W7, as usual W7 & W8 can see both machines.

I attach screenshots from UNC and IP path to shared drive attempts.
Plus I tried a NetScan program. The properties of W7 show no shares when views from XP.607760766078

fred_fish
12-12-2014, 09:59 PM
Well there's yur problem...
2 machines with the same hostname.

wainuitech
12-12-2014, 10:08 PM
Well there's yur problem...
2 machines with the same hostname. :thumbs::thumbs: Yep that should be it, you cant have two (or more) computers on the same LAN with the same name.

rossnixon
12-12-2014, 10:33 PM
:thumbs::thumbs: Yep that should be it, you cant have two (or more) computers on the same LAN with the same name.No, WORKGREAT is my network name, in place of the default name of WORKGROUP. It isn't the computer name. Those are PC1, PC4, PC6.
I think the NetScan program could be using confusing headings.

fred_fish
12-12-2014, 10:41 PM
No, WORKGREAT is my network name, in place of the default name of WORKGROUP. It isn't the computer name. Those are PC1, PC4, PC6.
I think the NetScan program could be using confusing headings.

Well, "Hostname" seems pretty clear.

linw
13-12-2014, 08:35 AM
Yep, Hostname really means host name here, using NetScan. No workgroup names in sight.

rossnixon
13-12-2014, 08:40 AM
Yep, Hostname really means host name here, using NetScan. No workgroup names in sight.Even if that was the problem, it doesn't apply here. 192.168.1.6 can't see 192.168.1.2 - they have different 'host names'.

wainuitech
13-12-2014, 10:20 AM
Hostname is certainly the Computers Name, just did a Scan using the same software as pictured, and all the Computers/Nodes show under HostName with their own names. The fact you have two devices with the same name can still cause connection problems.

Try changing one of them and see if it fixes the problem.

Looking at your IP address listed : what is assigned to what computer please. (you have to remember that no one apart from your self can see everything fully - anyone trying to help,guessing often can cause wrong results)

192.168.1. 2 = ?
192.168.1. 4 = ?
192.168.1. 6 = ?
192.168.1. 10= ?

rossnixon
13-12-2014, 10:28 AM
192.168.1.2 = W7
192.168.1.4 = W8
192.168.1.6 = XP
.10 & .11 are network printer or iPhone

I also have an LMHOSTS file that connects each IP address to each computer. That should make for faster resolving of addresses, or something.
I won't be able to do my sleuthing till Monday.

wainuitech
13-12-2014, 10:42 AM
The names being the same on the two can still be causing the problems, heres why

Quoted from Microsoft:

The LMHOSTS file provides a NetBIOS name resolution

NetBIOS name resolution means successfully mapping a NetBIOS name to an IP address.

The LMHOSTS being used is telling two computers using the same name (7 & 8) to two different IP address locations. Its possible While 7&8 can figure it out, the XP being older may throw its toys out the cot. The fact that you said you can Ping the IP address when it drops means its still there.

PS: to answer a earlier question, it looks like it wont be hardware related so buying new network cards would be a waste of money.

nmercer
13-12-2014, 02:17 PM
get rid of the LMHOSTS

rossnixon
15-12-2014, 10:06 AM
get rid of the LMHOSTS
I'll try that next.

But to confirm the "host name" issue. I don't have computers with the same name.
e.g. I have just checked PC4 (W8)
Computer name: PC4
Full computer name: PC4
Computer description: PC4
NetBIOS computer name: PC4
Workgroup: WORKGREAT

rossnixon
16-12-2014, 06:25 PM
OK, so I got rid of the LMHOSTS of all three computers.
Then I copied 642MB of files from W8 to W7.
Immediately after that, XP can't see/browse W7. Can only ping it.

Maybe I should set up a HomeGroup instead?
I read recently that there was a way to incorporate XP into one. Anyone tried that?

gary67
16-12-2014, 06:55 PM
Nah I still use the old workgroup but I renamed mine to something different and I have a Win XP, Win 7, Linux server and Raspberry Pi they can all see and access each other with the workgroup setup. I did however set a static IP in my router for the server and Pi

wainuitech
16-12-2014, 07:34 PM
I'll try that next.

But to confirm the "host name" issue. I don't have computers with the same name.

Workgroup: WORKGREAT If that was the actual case then its a wonder anything works.

Hostname IS the name of the computers as they are seen, not the workgroup Name.

If you think about it, you have 4 different LANs -- In post 6 you provided a PIcture with netscan,

According to what you think, then you have 1 LAN called Workgreat, 1 LAN called PC6, 1 called LAN NPIEO7FC10 and another un-named.

I'll prove it, on my LAN which is going back years, its called MSHOME ( original eh :) - that's from XP days)

Below is a screen shot of netscan results, all the workshop PC's are off at the moment so they are not showing, the Better half's PC is not on, the listing starting with BR is a networked Printer.

So if Hostname is not the actual PC name then why are they all showing as they should & the workgroup name is not even mentioned. ?

wainuitech
16-12-2014, 08:24 PM
Re XP and Homegroups, XP cant join a Homegroup, BUT it can work in conjunction with a Standard Workgroup at the same time, so basically you would be running two different connection types on the same LAN.

linw
16-12-2014, 08:44 PM
Same netscan results here, WT. No sign of the workgroup name.