PDA

View Full Version : Veon 55 inch LED TV Model VN5519LED

Kiwisparks
04-12-2014, 09:45 AM
I have just purchased the above TV to replace my ageing 40 inch Samsung (blown up once and now strange colours showing on screen.

My new unit has an OK picture (on par with the Samsung when new) but the sound from the speakers is utter crap ! I have read about this on various forums and had accepted that I would need to buy a PC type speaker system, or feed it through my surround sound system. Unfortunately the TV does not appear to have any form of audio output connections.

One of HDMI sockets on the back is labelled HDMI/ARC which I resume to have some audio use, but do not really know.

Can anyone help ?

dugimodo
04-12-2014, 10:33 AM
I guess there's a reason they are so cheap. I can't offer much help there except to suggest feeding audio from some sort of freeview tuner/recorder/TiVo device and just using the TV as a monitor. Even my Samsung TV has pretty rubbish sound although it is ok in a pinch just to watch TV.

I have a Samsung plasma which probably does have audio outputs but I just use it as a giant monitor for my various devices via my surround receiver so it's not important. TV is handled by the TiVo, Blu-ray by the PS3, music & internet by my media PC. All are connected Via HDMI to my receiver which then feeds the TV which doesn't even have an aerial connected to it. I love having a single HDMI connection from each device, it's so much easier to sort out than my old setup with various types of A/V connections.

Alex B
04-12-2014, 10:48 AM
Get a sound bar that will take an ARC HDMI input. ARC = Audio Return Channel

Lawrence
04-12-2014, 10:54 AM
They should have a S/PDIF/Toslink connection

Depends also what you want to connect too

Kiwisparks
04-12-2014, 11:00 AM
I guess there's a reason they are so cheap. I can't offer much help there except to suggest feeding audio from some sort of freeview tuner/recorder/TiVo device and just using the TV as a monitor. Even my Samsung TV has pretty rubbish sound although it is ok in a pinch just to watch TV.

I have a Samsung plasma which probably does have audio outputs but I just use it as a giant monitor for my various devices via my surround receiver so it's not important. TV is handled by the TiVo, Blu-ray by the PS3, music & internet by my media PC. All are connected Via HDMI to my receiver which then feeds the TV which doesn't even have an aerial connected to it. I love having a single HDMI connection from each device, it's so much easier to sort out than my old setup with various types of A/V connections.

Yes they are cheap, I picked up mine for $599, I thought pretty good for a new 55inch LED panel. Another problem is my LG blue-ray box has no audio inputs either to accept a signal from my sky box.

As a last resort I could probably take the back off, disconnect the old speakers and hang a couple of cables out the back to connect to some more salubrious speakers.

Of course I could return it under the 3 year warranty, but I would need to spend at least double for another brand.

Kiwisparks
04-12-2014, 11:08 AM
Get a sound bar that will take an ARC HDMI input. ARC = Audio Return Channel

Yes I had thought of that, but a decent sound bar would just as much as the TV. ($599) Plus with my surround sound 5:1 system I would have speakers everywhere !

Cheers for the reply

dugimodo
04-12-2014, 11:13 AM
Does your 5.1 system have a spare HDMI input you can try the HDMI/ARC connection on? You Get a cheap $10 cable from PBtech or Jaycar or similar if so.
http://www.cnet.com/au/news/what-is-audio-return-channel-arc/

Kiwisparks
04-12-2014, 11:23 AM
Does your 5.1 system have a spare HDMI input you can try the HDMI/ARC connection on? You Get a cheap $10 cable from PBtech or Jaycar or similar if so.
http://www.cnet.com/au/news/what-is-audio-return-channel-arc/

No unfortunately, only the one connecting it to the TV.

Alex B
04-12-2014, 11:44 AM
What is the model of home theater system.

Kiwisparks
04-12-2014, 12:18 PM
What is the model of home theater system.

Hi there Sorry about the delay. The unit is LG BH6520TW

Cheers for your reply.

Kiwisparks
04-12-2014, 01:53 PM
Sorry I missed your comment. The TV has three HDMI sockets, one being HDMI/ARC, a VGA input, AV inputs (three colour),component input, PC audio input, USB input and a co-ax output socket. Nothing like you have described.

Kiwisparks
04-12-2014, 01:57 PM
They should have a S/PDIF/Toslink connection

Depends also what you want to connect too

No it has nothing like that on the TV

dugimodo
04-12-2014, 02:06 PM
and a co-ax output socket. output or Aerial connection? SPDIF can either use an optical connection which is the Toslink Lawrence mentioned or it can use a single RCA coax connection often orange but sometimes just black. If you have that it's a digital audio output.

Alex B
04-12-2014, 05:02 PM
http://jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=AA1722&w=optical+coax&form=KEYWORD

You need one of these, an optical cable and an RCA cable. RCA to the co-ax on tv, optical to the optical on the sound system.

wainuitech
04-12-2014, 05:30 PM
The original sound on ours ( 46" Veon) Was crap as well when we first got it, then after adjusting the settings its better than our older TV that it replaced. Its not surround, but never expected it to be.

( At great personal risk of harm, just checked where the settings are -- Had to get the remote from SWMBO) :eek:

On the Remote Press the Menu Button on the left , its right above the channel + - - A menu bar appears along the top of the screen, you can select different options - move the selection using the Arrows ( has OK in between them) till Audio appears, looks like a Music Symbol. Once in there you can alter the sound output greatly, either pre-sets, or create your own.

When watching Movies, We either use the USB port on th eside with a USB drive inserted, or for greater control fire up the Media Center which is using HDMI port 3 and the Audio runs through the stereo

Lawrence
04-12-2014, 07:03 PM
See you have Optical in/Composite on your Home Theatre http://www.lg.com/nz/home-theatre-systems/lg-BH6520TW-home-theatre-system/technical-specifications#

gary67
04-12-2014, 07:13 PM
I run my veon through my amp to my stereo speakers using the headphone out socket to the auxiliary on my amp as the veons have crap sound normally

Kiwisparks
04-12-2014, 10:32 PM
http://jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=AA1722&w=optical+coax&form=KEYWORD

You need one of these, an optical cable and an RCA cable. RCA to the co-ax on tv, optical to the optical on the sound system.

Can you get a cable with the optical on one end and an RCA on the other ?

Alex B
04-12-2014, 11:56 PM
No, hence the need for that adapter.