PDA

View Full Version : Best GPU for AMD Phenom 955

Cato
03-12-2014, 12:24 PM
I'm thinking about upgrading my GPU from a 560ti, thinking about ordering a 970...
Would that be overkill for the CPU?

If so, whats the best CPU for that socket? Would that even be worthwhile?

dugimodo
03-12-2014, 02:31 PM
Depends on the game, the resolution you play at, etc. Some will be CPU bound and not benefit and others will not be. I don't think it'd be worth going over a 970 but up to that level should still be worthwhile. It may also be worth looking for a 2nd hand 7 series card from those people who jumped on the new cards, a 770 or 780 might be available for a bargain and still a huge upgrade from a 560 Ti. Even a 760 or the R9 270 would be a pretty good upgrade and perhaps a better match for your system.

I don't think upgrading your CPU is worthwhile, if you had a slower dual core athlon maybe but as the 955 is one of the better quad core phenom's there is little to be gained. The only way to get a meaningful speed bump would be to switch camps and go for an i5 or better. Check the chart on this page http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html They recommend upgrading 3 tiers for best results which is not possible from your current CPU.

icow
03-12-2014, 07:23 PM
Got a 965 here with a R9 290 (suppose that's somewhat comparable to the 970). Only noticeable bottleneck is in BF4 multiplayer which is heavily CPU bound. Wreckfest runs kinda badly but it's early access so it might just have optimisation issues or be a cpu bound game.

Best CPU for the socket is an 8350 (or any of the variants at different clocks) if your motherboard has a bios update to support it. If it's not an AM3+ board you'll likely have heat issues with a 8350 so you could opt for the 95w variant (8370e, 8350e, 8350e).