PDA

View Full Version : Vista problem

ianhnz
03-12-2014, 11:13 AM
Had a massive problem with our Vista today.
Had a, strange, look Windows Media Player box up.
I dis a reboot and it comes up.
Closed it and tried mscofig and system restore, each time brings up this strange looking media player.
Manage to run malwarebytes and all ok there, so was thinking gona have to do another formate and reload.
Put the disk in and it asked if I wanted to run system restore.
Said yes and ticked one for yesterday afternoon.
About 1/2 and hour later, alls good.
Did notice that there was about 3 windows updates come in last night, so turned it off.
Anyone have any insights, please?
Ian

Speedy Gonzales
03-12-2014, 12:55 PM
Turned what off? Windowsupdate?? Probably not the brightest thing to do

Well is it still there this window?

ianhnz
03-12-2014, 01:14 PM
Turned what off? Windowsupdate?? Probably not the brightest thing to do

Well is it still there this window?
I know, but something not right.
Has other options, so unsure what the right thing to do??

After restore, all is good...

linw
03-12-2014, 03:40 PM
Strange as no Vista updates on my wife's comp.

ianhnz
03-12-2014, 04:06 PM
Strange as no Vista updates on my wife's comp.

When I finally go into system restore, said ther was 3 updates, this morning.

mzee
03-12-2014, 06:56 PM
I have 3 computers on Windows 7. I have never done any Windows updates. Its been my experience that Windows becomes more and more bloated, and that a bad update can be as bad as malware or a Virus. I just keep my anti virus and malware bytes updated.

wainuitech
03-12-2014, 06:59 PM
Updates do more then patch holes. Take Vista, The Update from Sp1 to SP2 makes a VERY noticeable performance increase.

lakewoodlady
03-12-2014, 07:34 PM
I have 3 computers on Windows 7. I have never done any Windows updates. Its been my experience that Windows becomes more and more bloated, and that a bad update can be as bad as malware or a Virus. I just keep my anti virus and malware bytes updated.

Duh?

LL

coldot
04-12-2014, 08:26 AM

Isn't that rather like a motorist never replacing spark plugs, never changing oil, never checking tyre pressures, etc?

dugimodo
04-12-2014, 09:18 AM
Auto update does occasionally cause problems, but it also often prevents them and fixes things. Ever had a minor quirk on your PC and one day realised it's mysteriously vanished some time ago? that'd probably be an update.

Some people never update and manage just fine, others like me leave it on auto update and never have problems either. Whatever works for you. I prefer to leave it on for all the bug fixes and security patches.

Vista definitely needs Updating to the latest service pack at a minimum whenever being re-installed as there were a lot of performance improvements and bug fixes. The initial release had a lot of problems and is the reason Vista has such a bad reputation still, once patched it's actually pretty good and quite similar to 7 in general but that came too late to fix it's reputation.

Even now on windows 8 if you don't apply updates and get 8.1 from the play store you're stuck using the version that was so universally disliked instead of the much improved current version.

Agent_24
06-12-2014, 02:01 PM
Had a massive problem with our Vista today.
Had a, strange, look Windows Media Player box up.
I dis a reboot and it comes up.
Closed it and tried mscofig and system restore, each time brings up this strange looking media player.

Can you take a screenshot or something of this "Strange looking media player"? - It's a bit hard to give an opinion on something we cannot see.
A Hijackthis log might also prove useful.

Auto update does occasionally cause problems, but it also often prevents them and fixes things. Ever had a minor quirk on your PC and one day realised it's mysteriously vanished some time ago? that'd probably be an update.

Some people never update and manage just fine, others like me leave it on auto update and never have problems either. Whatever works for you. I prefer to leave it on for all the bug fixes and security patches.

I have it on auto-notify but I wait a few days to install them so the bad ones can come out in someone else's wash.