PDA

View Full Version : Movie playback sound problems.

Bryan
03-12-2014, 08:11 AM
I have WIN68. Pro with Windows Media Player. My problem has just started. When I attempt to play a movie stored on my D: HDD or my external storage
I am getting just squeeks and crackle sound when I try to play back. There is another method of playing the movie with sound, I think it might be built into the 8.1 o/s. the first screen is a pink with a right pointing arrow. The screen disappears, the word video appears at the top of the screen, the movie loads and all is OK.

However, if I change the program to Windows Media Player I get squeeks. Is this a codex problem? How can I fix this?

Bryan
03-12-2014, 08:28 AM
Belay all that. I downloaded K-Lite Codec and all appears well.

Speedy Gonzales
03-12-2014, 08:48 AM
Depends what the format of the video is. If it doesn't play it natively, you'll need a 3rd party program

dugimodo
03-12-2014, 10:12 AM
Codec packs can be out of date and include a lot of unneeded codecs, but if it's working for you problem sorted :).
Like a lot of people I don't use media player myself, there are a lot of popular alternatives but I like VLC because it uses its own codecs and plays just about anything so I don't need to worry about install any codecs. Works fine on windows 8.1 too.

For music playback I've gone back to the venerable winamp, for video I use VLC.

Agent_24
06-12-2014, 01:44 PM
I switched to Clementine for music. Still use VLC for video, but SMPlayer has more codecs, so I have to use it sometimes.