PDA

View Full Version : Screen randomly goes black, have to restart

kadiz7
02-12-2014, 02:04 AM
Hi everyone and thanks for reading this.

I bought a fairly good PC brand new on february 2014. Specs are down below. From the beginning I have been experience this problem.
The screen randomly goes black. This occurs instantly, no fading. The problem happens randomly so there's no correlation between the activity of the pc and the problem. It happens when gaming, when surfing the internet, watching a video in youtube, writing a document in microsoft word, even when I leave the pc idle in the desktop. Sometimes I can game heavily for hours without this happening, which makes me think its not related to temperatures.
Sometimes I can use the PC for several hours without the problem occuring, and sometimes it happens 15 minutes after booting the pc.

It seems that formatting the PC fixes the issue. After formatting the problem dissapears for one or two months, and then it comes back again, more and more often. Right now, it happens once or twice a day.

Note that the screen goes black but the monitor does not go into power saving mode, it remains on. Also, sound still comes from the speakers. I can sometimes manage to restart safely using my keyboard, and sometimes I have to force restart.

Can anyone tell me what is going on?

Thanks very much

Specs:
Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4Ghz
Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC 4GB GDDR5
G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 PC3-17000 8GB 2x4GB CL9
Corsair CS650M 650W 80 Plus Gold
Asrock Z87M Extreme4
WD Caviar Green 1.5TB SATA3 64MB ReCertified

CYaBro
02-12-2014, 07:30 AM
Do you have another screen you can test on it?

Also try the pc in safe mode and see if it still happens.

dugimodo
02-12-2014, 09:30 AM
Appears to be a common problem, you may need to flash new firmware to the graphics card. Other solutions - some suggest making sure the dual power connections to the card are from different cables can fix it as some power supplies put 2 on a single cable and it can't handle the load. Others have fixed it with tweaks to the Memory speed or voltage. 1 comment was the memory has a max temp of 85 but the GPU doesn't throttle until 95 so upping fan speed can help.

Check these threads for more info
https://www.sapphireforum.com/showthread.php?33437-R9-290-Black-Screen-Fix!!!
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2033153/explain-works-290-black-screen-fix.html

raymond_wd
02-12-2014, 02:39 PM
Hi kadiz7, hope you're doing good despite the issues with your PC. Thus, I would be glad to help you to solve it. Firstly, have you tried using another monitor? Since you did admit that the screen only goes off but sounds are still heard from the speakers, then trying with another monitor might help. Also, I would recommend you run a full scan in your computer using your anti virus software to see if there is any infected files but make sure the anti virus program is updated before doing so.

On top of that, try to undo recent changes using the System Restore by clicking at the 'Start' button, then in the search box, type 'System Restore' and then, in the list of results, click 'System Restore'.*

Also, since you're having random crashes, checking on the PSU might be useful whereby if you can test the PC with another PSU would be the easiest way to see if it still happens. Even if the measurements seem fine the PSU could start working differently when it heats up and when the power draw is heavy then fail which might cause the black screen error.

On top of that, try checking out the RAM by running the MEMTEST on it and see if it is the cause of the issue. Here is the link for you:

http://www.memtest86.com/

Furthermore, I would also recommend you to go ahead and check on the hard drive state by running the Data Lifeguard Diagnostics test on the WD Green hard drive. This link would guide you further in performing the test:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/940/

Another way to narrow down what is causing the problem is to remove everything that is not essential for the PC to run. If the computer runs fine after stripping it down, add one part back at a time until the black screen appears again. This will let you know which device is causing the error. The most important thing of all is always remember to backup all your data before attempting to do any troubleshooting method to ensure you're on the safe side.

Hope it helps and see how it goes mate.