PDA

View Full Version : BYOD dilemma

Krakka
29-11-2014, 03:30 PM
Our son is going into a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) class next year (year 9) so we are looking at a new device to get him so he can start with a fresh Laptop/tablet/iPad.

As you may be able to guess, we're not sure what to get him, or whether we should even replace his iPad2 he currently has.
As far as devices go, we have narrowed it down to 3 options :

1 - Keep his current iPad2, but purchase a Bluetooth keyboard to help make text entry easier.
2 - Buy a new Acer Aspire Switch 10
3 - Buy a new MS Surface2 Tablet plus keyboard.

With the exception of option 1, the costs are similar and the specs are relatively similar (in the sense that any differences won't be noticed in his daily use). If we go with either option 2 or 3, we inherit the iPad and use it as a family internet/music station to hook up to the sound system.

Can't decide - help please ! ? ! ?

wainuitech
29-11-2014, 03:39 PM
First Thing I'd be asking, is what does he have to do with it ? Is the iPad capable of doing everything the school is requiring or is a windows based device better ?

A couple of my customers all had existing iPads for their kids at school, and they thought they would be OK, but after a while it was discovered what the school was wanting to do, the iPads couldn't, so they ended up with ASUS windows laptops and manged fine from then on.

Some places require the use of Office - Microsoft have just announced Office 365 FREE for iPad users - so thats a plus https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/Changes-for-Office-365-Home-or-Personal-subscribers-who-use-Office-for-iPad (https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/Changes-for-Office-365-Home-or-Personal-subscribers-who-use-Office-for-iPad-5144f044-9681-46cc-8ebd-5fab07fbbf2f)

dugimodo
29-11-2014, 03:42 PM
Are there requirements as to capabilities or software? Personally as cool as tablets are I think a standard laptop is a better all round option in terms of price & functionality and more suited for actual schoolwork than a tablet.
Anything that docks or plugs in and out etc is a potential point of failure. even good kids can be rough on gear.

As to your choices, the surface is probably better constructed than the acer but likely more expensive as well but the acer keyboard looks like the best input option of the 3. Maybe read some reviews of each.

Krakka
29-11-2014, 03:50 PM
First Thing I'd be asking, is what does he have to do with it ? Is the iPad capable of doing everything the school is requiring or is a windows based device better ?

A couple of my customers all had existing iPads for their kids at school, and they thought they would be OK, but after a while it was discovered what the school was wanting to do, the iPads couldn't, so they ended up with ASUS windows laptops and manged fine from then on.

Wow, thanks guys for replying so quick.

We're not exactly sure yet, but the thing we do know is they will need to use Office 365. The downside to the iPad here (apparently) is that it can only be used as an Online service whereas the MS devices can download an offline copy.

We are thinking Tablet devices, because he is already used to an iPad, but importantly, touch screens allow for handwriting lessons which he struggles with on paper based teaching methods but responds well to electronic based systems.

wainuitech
29-11-2014, 04:02 PM
Going on what you posted, I think you have partly answered your own question :)

Ipad = Out.

While you can get Laptops with touch Screens, they are not really that comfortable to use as touch /writing, really for touch screen to be useful with hand writing they need to be either on your lap laying flat, or a desk/table at a comfortable height. Example: try writing on a screen thats vertical -- Bet it wont last more then 2-3 words ;)

The Surface 2 has a real OS, not the RT, cut down version.

One way to decide, get him- NOT you to try both out in the shop,let him decide whats suits his needs and feels better. If he has something that feels good to use hes more likely to take care of it, and use it instead on mis-treat it and throw it in the corner and not use it.

Krakka
29-11-2014, 04:13 PM
Going on what you posted, I think you have partly answered your own question :)

Ipad = Out.

One way to decide, get him- NOT you to try both out in the shop,let him decide whats suits his needs and feels better. If he has something that feels good to use hes more likely to take care of it, and use it instead on mis-treat it and throw it in the corner and not use it.

iPad - out - possibly. The costs to get a keyboard is way less than a new laptop/tablet, but yes we are leaning away from the iPad.

Good point about getting him to try it. We were trying to work it in as a surprise xmas pressie, but that, as you suggest, may backfire.

CliveM
29-11-2014, 04:46 PM
As always Wainui's advice is spot on. In addition I would talk to the school before any firm decision is made.

wainuitech
29-11-2014, 05:34 PM
iPad - out - possibly. The costs to get a keyboard is way less than a new laptop/tablet, but yes we are leaning away from the iPad.
. The sole reasoning for the comment about iPad out was
The downside to the iPad here (apparently) is that it can only be used as an Online service whereas the MS devices can download an offline copy. :p

As always Wainui's advice is spot on LOL far from it :D -- Ask me after tonight ;) going out to a show, SWMBO "kind of" likes the performer, so we will see ;) Secretly I bet shes singing along, she does at BBQ's when I play the music.:punk

Webdevguy
29-11-2014, 06:05 PM
Are there requirements as to capabilities or software? Personally as cool as tablets are I think a standard laptop is a better all round option in terms of price & functionality and more suited for actual schoolwork than a tablet.
Anything that docks or plugs in and out etc is a potential point of failure. even good kids can be rough on gear.

As to your choices, the surface is probably better constructed than the acer but likely more expensive as well but the acer keyboard looks like the best input option of the 3. Maybe read some reviews of each.

I'd suggest a laptop, iPads are good at what they do but they are not designed as a one stop shop and unless the school has set its teaching methods up to suit the iPad, a laptop is better suited if you are doing lots of typing.
Windows have touch screens which can get covered in finger marks, MacBook Airs have touch pads.
Windows has office 365,
Mac has iWork (Mac version of office)
Choose which one you like.

KarameaDave
29-11-2014, 07:05 PM
The surface 2, or if they arrive in time, one of these:

http://liliputing.com/2014/11/asus-zenbook-ux305-ultrabook-core-m-broadwell-hits-fcc.html
They are light but if it is like my old netbook will be strong enough.
Should give 10 odd hours on a charge yet have superior perfomance to Atom powered 'thin and lights'
the fanless design means it will be quiet, but it may get a bit warm, I would think.
It is what I'd use in your son's situation.
However, in view of the hand writing thing:
The surface supports a stylus but I don't know if the Asus does.

Cyberhuskey
29-11-2014, 07:56 PM
Recommendation for my year 5 child is https://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/computers/netbooks/c10005-cNetbooks-p1.html

Might be an option for you too.

Nick G
30-11-2014, 05:19 PM
The Surface 2 has a real OS, not the RT, cut down version. The Surface 2 runs Windows RT, not the full Windows OS.Only the Surface Pro models run full Windows :)

wainuitech
30-11-2014, 05:31 PM
The Surface 2 runs Windows RT, not the full Windows OS.Only the Surface Pro models run full Windows :) Simple typo was in a hurry and running out the door simply didn't put the word pro.

Nick G
30-11-2014, 06:10 PM
Simple typo was in a hurry and running out the door simply didn't put the word pro.

Yea figured that - still, in this case it's quite an important distinction.

wainuitech
30-11-2014, 08:34 PM
Yea figured that - still, in this case it's quite an important distinction.Show me one person who never makes a mistake or forgets something.

Nick G
30-11-2014, 09:14 PM
Show me one person who never makes a mistake or forgets something.

Not quite sure what to make of that. You appear to be taking exception to me pointing out an error you made? Wasn't like I was being a grammar Nazi either, just trying to prevent confusion between two similar looking, but very different products.

CliveM
30-11-2014, 09:34 PM
Show me one person who never makes a mistake or forgets something.
:devil

wainuitech
01-12-2014, 07:17 AM
Not quite sure what to make of that. You appear to be taking exception to me pointing out an error you made? Errr No, just saying there isn't a person alive that doesn't make mistakes or forgets something, no big deal. If a person is buying something then they should obviously look at what they are buying to make sure it does what they want. Mind you half the people in these chain stores like HN / Noel Leeming don't know what they are selling anyway.

nmercer
04-12-2014, 12:57 PM
Surface 2 should still be available at retail, all the Surface Pro, Surface Pro 2 is sold out as far as I know

Agent_24
06-12-2014, 02:04 PM
Back in my day we used pen and paper...

We are the Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Webdevguy
06-12-2014, 04:47 PM
Back in my day we used pen and paper...

We are the Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
Some of us still do use pen and paper when sketching out ideas but when you want more efficiency in automation of repetitive tasks a specifically designed app on a tablet would be ideal for the job.

Agent_24
06-12-2014, 06:31 PM
Some of us still do use pen and paper when sketching out ideas but when you want more efficiency in automation of repetitive tasks a specifically designed app on a tablet would be ideal for the job.

They're children, the only repetitive task they're going to be doing is checking Farcebook...