PDA

View Full Version : Recording Sound Problems Win7

B.M.
28-11-2014, 12:58 PM
Iím having trouble recording from Stereo-Mix or equivalent on my Win7 SP1 machine.

It would seem that it is a common problem but blowed if I can find the answer. The only Recording Devices shown are two microphones and line-in, no sign of stereo mix.

Now one article on Google recommended reinstalling OLD drivers, but Iíd rather not go down that path.

All I want to do is record what is coming out the speakers in a codec that will play on older CD Players, once of course Iíve burnt it to a CD.

If I need to download a programme to do that, thatís fine, whatís good and whatís not.

:thanks

beama
28-11-2014, 01:12 PM
have a look in control panel, sometimes the manufacturers hide the configuration software in there

B.M.
28-11-2014, 01:26 PM
have a look in control panel, sometimes the manufacturers hide the configuration software in there

Thatís where that Screen Shot I posted came from which I think is the configuration software? :confused: :confused:

wainuitech
28-11-2014, 02:12 PM
Bit of a story -- in a silly mood ;)

Had the EXACT same problem with this W7 - After trying god knows how many free recorders, including Audacity, nothing would really do the job, or were to hard to learn :( After lots of swearing to myself ( What me ?) :rolleyes:

Then I membered an old program I brought back when using Windows 98 -- Downloaded it again, threw it on here, ran through the setup wizard, located the original licence --- bugger me it worked and accepted it ---- Ye-Haaaaa:banana

The program-- Total Recorder Standard (http://www.totalrecorder.com/productfr_tr.htm) --- works a treat.

You can select several input methods, and they all worked.

The free trial will allow you to try it. The Trial will put in a beeeeeeeeeeep every 60 Seconds on the recording BUT it will allow you to test it.

The evaluation copy is a fully functional version of the program with the exception that an audible noise will be inserted about every 60 seconds throughout each recording you make. For unlimited audio recording without the insertion of an audible noise, you must purchase a Total Recorder license.

Best $17.95 USA (current price) I ever spent 16 Years ago.

Whenu
28-11-2014, 02:22 PM
Does opening up the "Mixer" tab accessed by clicking on the speaker icon on your Taskbar help?

wainuitech
28-11-2014, 02:45 PM
Adding to my post above, Latest Total Recorder and its licence purchased 16 years ago works on W10 as well --- The onboard Sound recorder in W10 couldn't detect any line in or speakers - TR did :punk

dugimodo
28-11-2014, 02:45 PM
What is "stereo mix"? are you trying to record something you are playing back or streaming on the PC?
The default recording options only list inputs as that's the only thing it's designed to record from. I'm sure it can be done easily enough by the right software but I'm not surprised it's not a standard option.

KarameaDave
28-11-2014, 03:48 PM
Have you tried right clicking in the blank space of the recording device panel then ensuring that
Both “View Disabled Devices” and “View Disconnected Devices” options are checked?
Stereo mix is often hidden in there,
If it still is not apparent you will have to use a driver that supports it, often older Vista or XP drivers.

More details here
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/39532/how-to-enable-stereo-mix-in-windows-7-to-record-audio/

B.M.
28-11-2014, 03:51 PM
Had the EXACT same problem with this W7 - After trying god knows how many free recorders, including Audacity, nothing would really do the job, or were to hard to learn :( After lots of swearing to myself ( What me ?) :rolleyes:

We walked the same path Wainui and like you I wound up making commendable impressions of a startled Crow, except not under my breath. ;)

In the end I turned on my faithful old XP machine and had the job done in minutes. I used Audio Editor Delux which I think was a GOTD some time ago.

Anyway, I have it saved in WAV format, but I’m not sure if older CD Players will play WAV files so can someone help me out on that one. I seem to remember having trouble years ago because some players (early models) would only play CDDA or CD-DA is it? All the newer ones I’ve encountered play MP3’s as well so that’s a step in the right direction.

Unfortunately, I can’t find a programme that will convert to CDDA so can anyone suggest one, or is there another name for CDDA?

But quite why we need hundreds of codec’s eludes me. :confused:

wainuitech
28-11-2014, 04:06 PM
CDDA is only the original format used on music CD's.

Any reasonable Audio CD creator should auto convert when creating a CD.

Personally I use Ashampoo Burning Studio -- Dead simple, open program, music / Make Audio CD - Select Add - WAV - follow the wizard and away it goes.

Just downloaded the latest Free version 2015, from http://sharewareonsale.com/shop

ONLY thing you have to watch for when installing -- Like always LOOK at what you are accepting, there's ONE window that opens and offers to install some other program ( by default) , simply select "no Thanks" - and carry on. Then delete the two links it creates to other deals on Ashampoos site.

B.M.
28-11-2014, 04:17 PM
Have you tried right clicking in the blank space of the recording device panel then ensuring that
Both ďView Disabled DevicesĒ and ďView Disconnected DevicesĒ options are checked?
Stereo mix is often hidden in there,
If it still is not apparent you will have to use a driver that supports it, often older Vista or XP drivers.

More details here
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/39532/how-to-enable-stereo-mix-in-windows-7-to-record-audio/

Both ticked Dave and that link was where I read about having to use old drivers.

Usually itís update your drivers, not backdate them. :illogical

KarameaDave
28-11-2014, 04:29 PM
Sorry my advice wasn't any help.
I think the reasoning behind them disabling stereo mix in newer drivers, was that it made it possible to make your own
high quality recordings of whatever you like.
They can't be allowing that, eh? :(

So either it's a driver roll back or nothing it would appear.

Terry Porritt
28-11-2014, 05:27 PM
There is a YouTube tutorial here about restoring missing stereo mix in Win 7:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmzfJWVH6T8

B.M.
29-11-2014, 07:25 AM
There is a YouTube tutorial here about restoring missing stereo mix in Win 7:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmzfJWVH6T8

Thanks for that Terry, Realtek drivers have restored the Stereo Mixer but the recording levels are very low at the moment, so I'll address that later today.

:thanks

B.M.
29-11-2014, 07:33 AM
Sorry my advice wasn't any help.
I think the reasoning behind them disabling stereo mix in newer drivers, was that it made it possible to make your own
high quality recordings of whatever you like.
They can't be allowing that, eh? :(

So either it's a driver roll back or nothing it would appear.

You could be right Dave, but as you can see from my previous post Realtek have provided working drivers, but a 120meg download no less.

To think we used to put our drivers on a floppy. :D

KarameaDave
29-11-2014, 10:17 AM
So had you been using the generic Microsoft driver?

Hard to believe anything fitted on a floppy these days, although there is an entire operating system written in assembly
that will fit on one,
http://www.menuetos.net/

In fact with the requirements of todays mobile computing,
such an OS (and applications of course) written entirely in assembly, would seem to be the best option
Less storage required for the code by a huge factor
Lower machine overheads, which would mean faster and more energy efficient phones, watches etc.
Only problem would be convincing the present generations of developers to make the change back to lower level languages.

kahawai chaser
29-11-2014, 01:13 PM
For a desktop I had, I'm sure I had to have a short double male (3.5 mm connector) cable connected between the sound card and a input (line in or microphone maybe) to record. A similar solution is described here (http://www.niharsworld.com/2008/05/28/no-stereo-mix-recording-option-here-are-few-solutions/) but also using a splitter.