PDA

View Full Version : Print from iPad

lakewoodlady
24-11-2014, 12:34 PM
Recently just bought a Canon Pixma MG3560 which is an airprint printer, so that we can print wirelessly from iPads and other tablets. It is at SeniorNet and I am having probs setting it up. We have a Vodafone Station modem/router. The printer Wi-Fi comes on ok but iPad says no airprint printer found.
On the CD set up are Drivers etc. I set it up according to the instructions for Wireless on one of the computers on the network, using USB cable, but at the end of the set up, it says cannot find printer on the network.

I phoned Canon and was told that it needs to be set up via WPS. There is no WPS button on the Vodafone Station. Will I have to get a modem that does have a WPS button?

LL

Speedy Gonzales
24-11-2014, 02:53 PM
Nah the printer here also supports Airprint. But Everything here has a password none of them use WPS.

The main thing is the firmware on the printer has to support airprint first

So the first thing I would do is go to the Canon site (http://search-nz.canon.co.nz/canon__nz_en__nz_en/search.x?ct=Support&hf=category%09zubaken&cf=model_sm:PIXMA+MG3560&d=DOWNLOADS) click on the version of windows that is installed then download the firmware updater. You'll need the USB cable to see if the latest firmware is on it

Speedy Gonzales
24-11-2014, 03:04 PM
Does the Ipad pick up the wireless SSID of the printer?

lakewoodlady
24-11-2014, 08:47 PM
Does the Ipad pick up the wireless SSID of the printer?

Don't know, how do I tell? or is that in Settings > Wi-Fi?

LL

lakewoodlady
24-11-2014, 08:51 PM
Nah the printer here also supports Airprint. But Everything here has a password none of them use WPS.

The main thing is the firmware on the printer has to support airprint first

So the first thing I would do is go to the Canon site (http://search-nz.canon.co.nz/canon__nz_en__nz_en/search.x?ct=Support&hf=category%09zubaken&cf=model_sm:PIXMA+MG3560&d=DOWNLOADS) click on the version of windows that is installed then download the firmware updater. You'll need the USB cable to see if the latest firmware is on it

Thanks Speedy, will do that when I am at the rooms next.

Speedy Gonzales
25-11-2014, 06:53 AM
Dunno. It maybe the same as a PC. In Windows. I've never had an Ipad so dunno where the settings are.

wainuitech
25-11-2014, 08:01 AM
Every Canon / Airprint I've done, you have to upgrade the printers firmware ,and it must be done Via a USB cable which connects to the computer. I was warned once by canon, DONT do it via a wireless connection as it often fails.
Once the firmware is upgraded then the ipad should see the Printer as long as the printer is then connected to the routers wireless, which it did.

I was doing one the other day, there was no way the canon printer would see the wireless network, so it had to be connected first by USB, then set up the wireless options.

As for the iPad wireless, yes its under settings: http://support.apple.com/en-nz/TS1398

Speedy Gonzales
25-11-2014, 08:47 AM
Yup thats what I usually do install the canon drivers wait for the install to tell me to connect the printer, then select the wireless option. And yup you have to use the cable to do this during the install of the drivers

lakewoodlady
25-11-2014, 11:28 AM
Yup thats what I usually do install the canon drivers wait for the install to tell me to connect the printer, then select the wireless option. And yup you have to use the cable to do this during the install of the drivers

Hi Speedy,
I have now installed the drivers and the firmware update with the usb connected. The printer shows up in devices and printers, and it has printed a test page ok, but the ipad still does not see it. The ipad is connected to the modem ssid ok. Just cannot see what to do next to get it printing with the ipad!

LL

wainuitech
25-11-2014, 11:56 AM
According to Apple, as long as the printer and iPad are on the same network with Airprint the iPad will " just print" .

Watch the video how-to-print-wirelessly-from-your-iphone-ipad-or-ipod-touch/ (http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-print-wirelessly-from-your-iphone-ipad-or-ipod-touch/)

Its been a while since I connected an iPad so cant remember exactly if it was as the video says.

CYaBro
25-11-2014, 12:32 PM
So the printer is connected wirelessly now to the router? And no other cables connected to any computers?
If the computers can print to the printer via the network, and not USB, then I can see no reason for it to not work.
However we have come across a few routers that just don't play nicely with AirPrint or AirPlay.
It's been a while but Vodafone routers may have been one of them.

Speedy Gonzales
25-11-2014, 01:13 PM
Hi Speedy,
I have now installed the drivers and the firmware update with the usb connected. The printer shows up in devices and printers, and it has printed a test page ok, but the ipad still does not see it. The ipad is connected to the modem ssid ok. Just cannot see what to do next to get it printing with the ipad!

LL

But did you select wireless when you installed the drivers? And what did the firmware updater do?? Did it say it was up to date or did it update the firmware?

lakewoodlady
25-11-2014, 01:36 PM
According to Apple, as long as the printer and iPad are on the same network with Airprint the iPad will " just print" .

Watch the video how-to-print-wirelessly-from-your-iphone-ipad-or-ipod-touch/ (http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-print-wirelessly-from-your-iphone-ipad-or-ipod-touch/)

Its been a while since I connected an iPad so cant remember exactly if it was as the video says.

The video showing set up of printer to the modem is not a help, because the Canon MG3560 doesn't have any screen on it. There also does not have anywhere in the printer setup to enter the network details eg password. So I'm getting nowhere fast with the whole experience!
I am at home now, but will be down at the SeniorNet room tomorrow to have another go. I shall ring Vodafone and see if I can get some tech help then.

LL

lakewoodlady
25-11-2014, 03:05 PM
But did you select wireless when you installed the drivers? And what did the firmware updater do?? Did it say it was up to date or did it update the firmware?

I installed the drivers with the USB option, because I had no luck using the wireless option and as far as I know it updated the firmware when I downloaded it from the link. Nothing actually popped up to tell me either way.

I have installed Team viewer on the computer that the printer set up is on, and will be down at the rooms tomorrow again around 11am. Do you think that you could have a look at it for me using Team viewer?

LL

wainuitech
25-11-2014, 04:08 PM
The video showing set up of printer to the modem is not a help, because the Canon MG3560 doesn't have any screen on it. There also does not have anywhere in the printer setup to enter the network details eg password. So I'm getting nowhere fast with the whole experience!
I am at home now, but will be down at the SeniorNet room tomorrow to have another go. I shall ring Vodafone and see if I can get some tech help then.

LL Doesn't matter in the slightest if your Printer doesn't have a Screen, as long as the printer is actually connected to the wireless Router, and you could see that from a Computer, then open the ipad doc like the lady does at 1.15 and as long as when you tap the action button, the printer should show ( time frame is 1.15 -1.30)
To test the connection, open up a note in the native Notes app. Hit the action button (the square with the arrow) and select "Print." Your printer should appear as the selected device. If not, tap the Printer field, allow your device to scan, and tap the printer name when it appears.. If its not then there is another problem. As CY said it could simply be the router is not compatible with Airprint

If you are not connected to the network then of it wont work, the ipad goes through the Router to the printer.

Hightlighted: it doesn't need it, the last one I did a couple of days ago, it wouldn't connect via wireless, so I used the USB cable, it then gave the options to connect either Via USB or Wireless -- Selected Wireless, it installed software on the laptop, then instructed to unplug the USB to finish the wireless install, took about 3-4 minutes and connected, no password required. After that the Laptop printed fine Via wireless - so the path was Laptop-Router-Printer.

Every iPad I've ever worked on its the same each time. This shows how ( with Pictures) connect-ipad-to-wireless-network/ (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/connect-ipad-to-wireless-network/)

lakewoodlady
26-11-2014, 11:04 AM
Hi Wainuitech,

I am back down at the rooms now. The ipad connects fine to the modem/router.
The printer is on, the wi-fi is on on the printer. it wont print anything from the computer without the usb.There is something I am just not getting, unless it is the Vodafone modem.

LL

CYaBro
26-11-2014, 11:11 AM
I'm happy to take a look via Teamviewer if you like.
PM me the ID & Password if you want.
Will need to connect to the PC that has the printer attached via USB.

Speedy Gonzales
26-11-2014, 11:34 AM
I think you have to find the wireless settings in the printer then connect to the router first. Thats if it works. If you selected USB during the install you may have to uninstall the drivers and start again. Thats why it'll only work with the cable

Where is this Seniornet?? Is it in Taupo somewhere?

lakewoodlady
26-11-2014, 11:37 AM
I'm happy to take a look via Teamviewer if you like.
PM me the ID & Password if you want.
Will need to connect to the PC that has the printer attached via USB.

ok have pm you

lakewoodlady
26-11-2014, 11:38 AM
Yes, SeniorNet is in Taupo, Waiora House Spa Rd.

Speedy Gonzales
26-11-2014, 11:53 AM
mm I'm not too far from there

CYaBro
26-11-2014, 12:04 PM
It's all sorted. :D
I downloaded the latest network driver setup from the Canon site and that allowed it to be configured, via USB, to the wireless network and then the iPad worked.

Speedy Gonzales
26-11-2014, 12:06 PM
Sweet

lakewoodlady
26-11-2014, 12:07 PM
w00t! All fixed now, Many thanks cyabro! :thanks :banana

LL

CYaBro
26-11-2014, 12:23 PM
w00t! All fixed now, Many thanks cyabro! :thanks :banana

LL

Welcome!