PDA

View Full Version : Do you like the microsoft ribbon?

Digby
22-11-2014, 08:42 AM
I know its probably been done to death.

But If you are an older user (ie have used PC's for years)
Do you like the microsoft ribbon or would you rather they went back to the old menu system.

With the ribbon I can never find what I want.
It takes me ages and I have to google etc etc.

I don't want to use 3rd party apps or Open Office etc. (so don't mention these)

Eg today In Access I am trying to Add a Report Footer.
Is it in Create or Tools or Design or Format or Page Set up.

So in summary....
Do you like the microsoft ribbon or would you rather they went back to the old menu system.

pcuser42
22-11-2014, 09:30 AM
I prefer the ribbon. I find it's much easier to find things as everything is laid out in plain sight.

Of course you can fully customise it in Office 2010 and later ;)

Terry Porritt
22-11-2014, 10:24 AM
I can't see what age has to do with it :)

The ribbon is ok for me, though at first it seemed a bit cluttered and a tendency to not see the wood for the trees.

You can get a ribbon disabler: http://winaero.com/

fred_fish
22-11-2014, 12:23 PM
No.

pctek
22-11-2014, 01:04 PM
But If you are an older user (ie have used PC's for years)

Hate it.
Used to it now though, I upgraded to a newer Office just for that - to get used to it, but I didn't see an issue with menus....

Then again I never saw an issue with DOS either, it just sat there, all tiny and wee, doing nothing until you fed it a command, then it went back to doing nothing again.

Nowdays.....you're nagged continuously by your O/S, it tries to do **** behind your back and takes up more space than an old hard drives entire size. And then there's that thing called the registry.....I could go on and on....

wainuitech
22-11-2014, 01:10 PM
Depends on what I'm doing in what program. Some things are easier in the ribbon, the way it works is what ever task you are doing are generally grouped together. Sometimes the options dont show untill you do something else first. For example, if you insert a picture in document, Then click on the picture, the editing options appear.

Example: a picture inserted into word, no editing tools

Now click the picture and all the editing toos in the ribbon appear:

As for your question relating to Access, this may help http://www.gcflearnfree.org/access2013/14.2

This is with Office 2013, so earlier version may be slightly different.

if you want the old menus back, you can always install UbitMenu, as described bring-office-2003-menus-back-to-2010-with-ubitmenu/ (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19323/bring-office-2003-menus-back-to-2010-with-ubitmenu/).

Biggest thing I dislike about Office 2013 - is someone had a bright Idea to remove most of the colour options :yuck: White, Light Grey and Dark Grey -- How original ;)

pctek
22-11-2014, 03:27 PM
D

Example: a picture inserted into word, no editing tools

Now click the picture and all the editing toos in the ribbon appear:

Right clicking used to bring up the editing MENU.....lol..

You can change it's look, but hey, I installed the thing to get used to it so that would defeat the purpose.

wainuitech
22-11-2014, 04:18 PM
Right clicking used to bring up the editing MENU.....lol..

You can change it's look, but hey, I installed the thing to get used to it so that would defeat the purpose. Right Clicking a Pic Still does, along with a few other options earlier versions didn't.

Digby
22-11-2014, 07:27 PM
Some great replies.

Eg today In Access I am trying to Add a Report Footer.
Is it in Create or Tools or Design or Format or Page Set up.

No its a right click option. (dur)

I don't agree that the ribbon is easy to use, as the options on them are very poorly placed.