PDA

View Full Version : Low cost accounting software suggestions?

robo
21-11-2014, 04:48 PM
Hey guys
Some of you long time F1ers may laugh at me asking this, but anyway here goes:
My daughter is about to buy a business, and will need an accounting system, nothing very complex, General Ledger, basic Debtors, Invoicing, Creditors, maybe Inventory. I am not keen on paying $50 per month for Xero, and MYOB is just awful and it seems impossible to be able to tell which version includes what capability.

Does anyone know of something reasonably robust that would run on a PC that doesn't cost moonbeams (preferably without some monthly fee)? Doesn't matter how complicated, we can handle complicated (although would prefer it to not be too complicated).

Cheers
robo

PPp
21-11-2014, 07:06 PM
Assuming you will be going to an accountant at some stage, I would check what they recommend. That way they can sort out your annual accounts much easier(and cheaper?) with a program they know. My accountant actually sold us Easybooks which was not too expensive back then, 40 years ago. I have no idea on its pricing these days though.

wainuitech
21-11-2014, 07:22 PM
Personally use Cashook Complete. Theres a 90 Day free Trial so you can see if its what you need. Its a one off payment, I brought mine back in 2003, and all the upgrades are free.

http://www.acclaim.co.nz/

gary67
21-11-2014, 07:38 PM
Haven't used it but Gnu cash is free

wuppo
21-11-2014, 08:50 PM
I've used QuickBooks (now called Reckon Accounts) for years and would certainly recommend it. Very useable for non accounting savvy people but also very capable. I would say that the inventory part is a bit short on features. Not the cheapest (there are several versions though, so you can purchase according to your needs). Trial version can be downloaded.

Bobh
21-11-2014, 10:35 PM
I have used Quicken Personal Plus now Reckon Accounts Personal Plus.

notechyet
22-11-2014, 06:20 AM
I have used Quicken Personal Plus now Reckon Accounts Personal Plus.
The latter is what I am using now as well. The program has some clunky ways, some things work well. Forgotten now exactly why, though at some stage I called them for an patch/update. All they could tell me was buy a new version.I had bought upgrades regularly. Since that encounter I think it is better to go with Saasu or Xero. More expensive though, hoping it is better for gst calc and collaboration with accountant.

robo
22-11-2014, 06:55 AM
Thanks folks. I used to work with accounting software, back in the pre-windows days, I even wrote a book on accounting software. I can handle pretty much anything, it's just finding a place to start. Most web sites are awful, just a photo of Basil the electrician telling you how great it is and nothing about cost or functionality.

pctek
22-11-2014, 07:08 AM
I always used Excel. Plain and simple. Easy to set up templates....I still use it for husband.

Arnie
22-11-2014, 08:39 AM
Have you tried this it is free for small Bus. I use it for a small sports group and find it very good. http://www.nchsoftware.com/accounting/

PeterQ
22-11-2014, 09:26 AM
Cashbook is ideal for me, it has everything you need apart from wages

Organicpete
22-11-2014, 04:00 PM
Personally use Cashook Complete. Theres a 90 Day free Trial so you can see if its what you need. Its a one off payment, I brought mine back in 2003, and all the upgrades are free.

http://www.acclaim.co.nz/

yep, they are working on an upgrade too

Wilko
22-11-2014, 04:24 PM
yep, they are working on an upgrade too

I am a fan of Cashbook Plus as well. Does all I need and easy to use. The only problem is that it comes in windows only version, won't even work in Linux using WINE. It is the only reason I still have a copy of Windows on my machine!

plod
22-11-2014, 06:00 PM
How big a business? $50 ain't a lot, think about return on investment. Unfortunately a lot of software these days has gone subscription. We have just moved to Xero as our old software isn't well supported anymore. Our last 3 software purchases have not only cost close to 100k this year but all require monthly subscriptions that cover updates and support.

wainuitech
22-11-2014, 06:21 PM
yep, they are working on an upgrade too Yep, just upgraded mine last night, jumped from 5.04k to 5.04n

Got an email a while back asking any improvements or features like to include, then a few weeks back got another describing what some of the new features that users had suggested that are going to be included :thumbs: Being NZ based as well means you dont have to deal with some call center over Seas in the event of any questions. Only had to call them once is over 10 years and they couldn't have been more helpful :)

bevy121
22-11-2014, 10:09 PM
The thing that makes Cashbook Complete different is the way you pay for it.

You purchase the software database, not the software.

So if you only have one business you only need one database :)

The software can then be upgraded ad infinitum at no further cost

Not much software you can do that with!

Neil McC
23-11-2014, 08:34 AM
Been using Cashbook for a few years now.Best thing I did for my business.

berryb
23-11-2014, 07:06 PM
Use Cashbook Complete for 2 of my businesses now for years and sold to many in my area. It is a Cashbook so doesn't do some of the more complex things MYOB and other do but I do not need that. Does invoicing, GST, bank import etc. Simple and basic to use.

Has a 90 day free trial as well.