PDA

View Full Version : Wifi Router Required

ronyville
21-11-2014, 12:54 PM
Hi All

Currently in the process of setting up a site for about 15-20 people. Have VDSL connected with unlimited data. Looking to set up a wifi router as well. Looked at Netgear Nighthawk (http://www.playtech.co.nz/afawcs0139235/CATID=339/ID=22450/SID=562386608/productdetails.html)and seems like a pretty decent hardware. Got some good and also some bad reviews as well.

I have TP Link routers lying around but have found that they required a reboot at least once a weak to work properly so looking for something better.

Any recommendations for a different brand will be appreciated.

Ron

Chilling_Silence
21-11-2014, 01:14 PM
Depending on the model TP-Link, just flash Gargoyle firmware on it. I've had my TL-WR1043ND reach over 300 days before dying to a power outage. Pushed ~250-300GB a month through it JUST on the VDSL alone, let alone all streaming WiFi / network traffic locally...

ronyville
21-11-2014, 02:01 PM
Depending on the model TP-Link, just flash Gargoyle firmware on it.

Tried it.. ended up killing 2 TP WR1043NDs. Just frozen during upgrade. So looking to get something else without having to possibly kill a 3rd TP Link.

wainuitech
21-11-2014, 04:07 PM
What modem do you have, the nighthawk doesn't have one - Its a router only.

But put in Netgear Equipment all the time, never really had any worries, my Own Netgear is a WNDR3700 connected to Vodafones Cable Modem. just had a look at the night Hawk -- looks good, may get one when I want something better :)

ronyville
21-11-2014, 04:26 PM
Yup, modem has been provided by the ISP. Just need a decent router for wifi access. Around 20 users so 40 connections, since most users have iPads and iphones as well as their laptops connected. Hoping to try out the Netgear stuff, if it works well then will look at replacing all TP links at our main site with Netgear. Or something better maybe.

Chilling_Silence
21-11-2014, 05:25 PM
The modem is most probably going to be your downfall. Get yourself a DrakTek DV130.
Back in the day there was a bootloader issue with the TL-WR1043ND which they resolved a few months back. It's *super* easy to flash, just pick the firmware, hit upgrade, and you're done. Takes like 2 minutes and they're solid as hell! :-)

Digby
23-11-2014, 09:28 PM
Yes I have a night hawk. (2 months old)

I like it. But I am not a power user.

I don't think I have had to re-boot it yet.

As they said beware as it only a router you will still need a modem (I got sucked in)

And although it looks great - it is VERY big.

If I had the chance I would sell it and buy an all in one modem router.

ronyville
24-11-2014, 09:26 AM
Thanks for your input. I am not too fussed about having 2 devices. Main concern is having a quality WiFi signal for 40 devices. If the nighthawk works well for 40 concurrent connections, I am happy.

24-11-2014, 10:01 AM
Main concern is having a quality WiFi signal for 40 devices. If the nighthawk works well for 40 concurrent connections, I am happy.

40 devices seems quite a lot. Ive seen some wifi routers/AP's struggle with 10+ (on WPA2)
Perhaps some sort of Mesh network is needed.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24043/~/how-many-clients-can-you-connect-wirelessly-to-a-netgear-router%3F

wratterus
24-11-2014, 10:58 AM
I would be very surprised if the Nighthawk couldn't handle 40 concurrent connections, especially if they are spread out over the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands.

You won't want a 'mesh' network, they are flawed by design (each hop is basically halving your throughput)

If you don't require Wireless AC, I would highly recommend getting one of these (http://www.gowifi.co.nz/ubiquiti-networks/ubiquiti-networks-radios/ubiquiti-unifi-pro-802.11n-access-point-uap-pro.html?keyword=uap-pro). That will handle 40 connections easy, but obviously it does depend what the clients are all doing, that is true of any AP. You can easily associate over 100 clients with one of those UAP-Pros, but if everyone wants to stream a video at the same time, it's going to struggle.

Ubiquiti does make an AC access point too, but they are fairly dear, and a few people have reported stability/speed issues with them.

if you need AC, I would stick with the Nighthawk for now.

ronyville
24-11-2014, 11:46 AM
Thanks Wratterus..

Mostly its emails, web server and the usual youtube. Also just been to the site, and its a WAN connection, so dont need a modem. Nighthawk will do just fine. Just have to get the WAN connection details from the ISP.

It is just for a short term project. About 5 months. Not a permanent location. Those Ubiquiti UniFi-Pro seem quite good. Might think about it for the main site.

wratterus
24-11-2014, 11:56 AM
UniFi is awesome. :) http://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap/

Do bear in mind they aren't a 'router' though, just an access point. In this case with the VDSL connection, the modem is doing everything you need, so there is no issue there. Can't recommend them enough. Go Wireless are the NZ distro.

Chilling_Silence
26-11-2014, 01:22 PM
I've not done 40, only 35 on my Gargoyle TL-WR1043ND... But 35's still close! :D Didn't miss a beat !

linw
27-11-2014, 01:17 PM
That's impressive performance from such an inexpensive device. My 1043 only has to cope with a couple of concurrent connections!

Chilling_Silence
28-11-2014, 08:41 AM
Yeah I've done a number of large Ingress-related BBQs at my house. WiFi key gets written on a piece of paper and left on the sofa... And you know what people be like with FREE WIFI!! :O