PDA

View Full Version : Contnual rebooting

19-12-2001, 07:15 AM
I have a 486 computer , Dos/Win 3.1,which gets a lot of use as a games machine.
When I boot the computer it keeps recycling through the boot procedure. By using f8 I can see that it loads the last line of config.sys (CD Rom drive) but baulks at Autoexec.bat and then goes back to the boot routeen. I now have to boot by floppy and then change to C: drive. Autoexec.bat works ok on the floppy but not on the hard drive. Holidays are coming and need help or else my name will be mud. Any suggestions ?
TIA, John

19-12-2001, 09:38 AM
What exactly does it do? Does it go back and try to load config.sys again? or load autoexec.bat again? or what?

When you say you now boot off a floppy, do you mean that the config.sys and autoexec.bat are exactly the same as the one's on c drive?

If they're not the same, then it could be a command run in your autoexec.bat that's not working properly.

19-12-2001, 02:51 PM
Determine the make and model of your CDROM drive, if you believe that to be the problem. Visit the manufacturer and download the cd installation disk. It's hard to know exactly what's wrong with your autoexec and config files without seeing them.