PDA

View Full Version : New PC Build Crashes

BigBadBob
13-11-2014, 05:19 AM
I have a newly built PC here which has started to crash often and is frustrating the hell out of me.

The PC has the following specs:
Case = Mid Tower, 500W PSU, Black
Motherboard = Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H, Socket FM2+, AMD A88X Chipset, 4xDDR3, 2xPCIe-16, 1xPCIe-1, VGA, DVI, HDMI, RAID, M-ATX
Processor= AMD A6-6400K Black Edition 3.9 GHz, Socket FM2, Richland
HDD= Western Digital Blue WD5000AAKX, 500GB,
DVD= ASUS DRW-24D3ST
RAM= Premier Pro Series AM2U16BC4R1-B, 2x8GB, DDR3-1600, PC3-12800, CL11, DIMM
Video Card= Radeon R7 240 Video Card, 2048MB, DDR3, PCIe-16, CrossFire
MK270r Combo Keyboard & Mouse, Wireless, Black
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, for 64-bit systems, OEM
All updates incl drivers updates have been done. Chckdsk & sfc run etc.

Whatever I do the problem is still there. Event Viewer gives me the following critical error:
- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event (http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event)">
- <System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>2</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-11-10T18:42:05.612014100Z" />
<EventRecordID>46702</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Dave-PC</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
- <EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Google doesn't seem to be much help. I've tried most solutions posted, even MS 'fixit', but no joy!

Anyone else experienced this problem?

pctek
13-11-2014, 06:42 AM
It's not very helpful.

The kernel power event ID 41 error occurs when the computer is shut down, or it restarts unexpectedly. When a computer that is running Windows starts, a check is performed to determine whether the computer was shut down cleanly. If the computer was not shut down cleanly, a Kernel Power Event 41 message is generated.

But why did it reboot? Run some checks on your RAM.
Does it crash in Safe mode as well? That's an indication of hardware if so.

What brand Power supply is it?

dugimodo
13-11-2014, 08:22 AM
How new is newly built, I assume it ran stable for a period of time before this started? Describe the crashes, is it a sudden unexpected shutdown or a system hang, does it shut down properly or just power off abrubtly etc. Remote fault finding is a guessing game but the more info you give the more likely someone will point you in the right direction. First is the need to establish if it's a hardware or software error which can be difficult.

Possibilities;
If anything is overclocked or memory is running in XMP mode etc set it all back to default and see if that helps
Check CPU & GPU temperatures under idle/load condidtions, run a Memtest
Try safe mode or a live boot CD and see if it's stable under those conditions (points to software if it is)
If it's just started recently have you installed any new software or hardware, have you tried restoring to a point before the crashes
Check for Viruses and Malware, MBAM and NOD32 is a good start - there's a free web based scanner for NOD32 or use whatever anti-virus you have (I'd do both)

BigBadBob
13-11-2014, 09:51 AM
The PSU is a Raidmax Cobra 500W. Haven't tried removing RAM yet but it has only been built 3 weeks and memtest showed OK. Have removed, without effect, all programs (Office 2013, Photoshop, Anti virus & anti malware etc). The PC has just started rebooting itself randomly with the ID41 error. Had it running in safe mode for a while but I'll have to do a prolonged test as soon as I can get back on to it - I'm away working for the rest of the day.)

wainuitech
13-11-2014, 10:32 AM
What you can have a look at - See if there's any crash dumps, they will be located C:\windows\Minidump

If there are any upload them to someplace and post a link, someone can have a look and see what they are reporting. (They need the right program to read as they are not a txt file) and while blue screen view does read crash dumps it doesn't always read fully saying what was the actual cause.

13-11-2014, 10:42 AM
Its going to be trial & error, just eliminating one thing after the other
Uninstall vid drivers & try using just the generic MS vid drivers. Try disabling hardware(eg sound, network etc) in Win Device manager & see if that helps
I would try a new 100% clean win install. See if its stable, then install drivers one by one, checking stability after each driver.
Try just 1 stick of RAM , then try the other stick of RAM, by itself. Try a more generic vid card, with & without NV/ATI vid drivers

Unfortunately Safe mode proves b8gger all. Ive had faulty vid cards that were fine untill the correct drivers were loaded/installed (so they were 100% OK in safe mode)
Same with RAM tests. RAM has to be quite bad to fail RAM tests , faulty RAM can still pass RAM tests, unfortunately.
Worth trying safe mode & RAM/HD tests for sure, just remember that faulty RAM & HD's etc can pass the usual tests

You could try all this testing on an old HD , that way you dont have to wipe everything.

It could always be the MB or power supply, but there no cheap way for you to test those, unless you can borrow a Power supply for some testing

pctek
13-11-2014, 12:58 PM
The PSU is a Raidmax Cobra 500W.
They tend to just die.
So probably not the issue - however I would seriously change it, they're ****.
I used to use Raidmax cases but always got them with the PSU.

I suggest Antec.

Speedy Gonzales
13-11-2014, 01:32 PM
I would say faulty PSU. RMA it / get something else

BBCmicro
13-11-2014, 04:04 PM
I have ti agree with PCtech and Speedy - it's the power supply

The rebooting, the lack of diagnostic info (it's hard to do anything at all when your power supply is cut let alone analyse a problem and store a message)

I recall when colour TVs came out. I had a problem and followed the fault-finding tree exactly. It confidently identified a particular area of a particular circuit board. I changed the only active component in that area. Nup - problem still there. On a hunch I put a voltmeter on the power supply. Sure enough, one of the supplies couldn't hack the pace

Agent_24
17-11-2014, 09:09 AM
Agree with pctek. It's hard to say if it's the PSU. Raidmax PSUs are pretty awful, BUT if it's brand new, then barring some production mistake, it should be just fine (for now) and you have some other problem.
(See http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/03/18/raidmax_cobra_power_500w_supply_review for a good explanation as to why it's a pretty lame PSU)
I would get something better for long-term use on a modern computer.

Did you install the CPU heatsink correctly? It could be overheating. Have you checked the CPU temperature?