PDA

View Full Version : ADSL+2 or Ultra VDSL™ with Home Phone

ianhnz
09-11-2014, 04:19 PM
Hi guys.
We presently have adsl +2 and speeds are around the 5-6 Mbps range.
Been thinking about fiber as Telecom said they couldn't proved Ultra VDSL.
Just check the Spark site and it nows says we can and not much differance in price.

My question is, any ideas on what sort speeds we will get?
We are about 1.8 Km's from the telephone exchange and no cabinets in our area.
Thanks,
Ian

wainuitech
09-11-2014, 04:43 PM
Most will offer two plans, 30Mbps & 100 Mbps with various up speeds, listings http://ufb.org.nz/pricing-plans-residential/ Keep in mind these are theoretical Max Speeds, not what you will actually get. It will still depend on where you are getting data from and where its going to, your "link in the chain" may be strong but the bottle neck will be the governing factor.

If you were to do a speed test it will show you what its capable of.

Another example is lets say you were downloading a file and you have a choice of countries, if you selected USA you would find it will be slower than if you selected NZ (generally).

My top end speed according the speedtest is 130Mbps, from memory once or twice actually got even close to that and that was once from Microsoft in NZ and a linux Distro download as well from NZ.

I use a download manager sometimes and can get speeds up as well :) Just downloaded a 51MB file from a giveaway site, the speed was still increasing by the time it was finished, under 15 seconds.

ianhnz
09-11-2014, 04:48 PM
Most will offer two plans, 30Mb/S & 100 Mb/s with various up speeds, listings http://ufb.org.nz/pricing-plans-residential/ Keep in mind these are theoretical Max Speeds, not what you will actually get. It will still depend on where you are getting data from and where its going to, your "link in the chain" may be strong but the bottle neck will be the governing factor.

If you were to do a speed test it will show you what its capable of.

Another example is lets say you were downloading a file and you have a choice of countries, if you selected USA you would find it will be slower than if you selected NZ (generally).

My top end speed according the speedtest is 130Mb/s, from memory once or twice actually got even close to that and that was once from Microsoft in NZ and a linux Distro download as well from NZ.

I use a download manager sometimes and can get speeds up as well :) Just downloaded a 51MB file from a giveaway site, the speed was still increasing by the time it was finished, under 15 seconds.

Thanks for the info and you are getting very good speeds.
But I asked about VDSL, I think what you quoted was fiber.
My daughter had fiber, in Sydney and got real hight speeds, Since moved and on ADSL and not happy.

wainuitech
09-11-2014, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the info and you are getting very good speeds.
But I asked about VDSL, I think what you quoted was fiber.
My daughter had fiber, in Sydney and got real hight speeds, Since moved and on ADSL and not happy.

Errrrr you asked about fibre 2nd line after "hi guys'

Been thinking about fiber as Telecom said they couldn't proved Ultra VDSL.

BUT the above comments still apply, what they quote in speed is still the theoretical Max.

One place I know of, changed from ADSL to VDSL last week, they were getting 5-6 down, that increased to 10 -12. Don't know if it was the plan restricting the speed or not, but even 12 is not that flash ( compared to what's available) Guess it can all come down to $$ and location.

Chilling_Silence
09-11-2014, 07:03 PM
You can blame shitty marketing and confusing names thanks to Spark for the confusion. They've cheekily labelled their VDSL2 product as "Ultra Broadband" and everybody nationwide knows "Ultra Fast Broadband" as the Fibre product. It's been the source of many people telling me "Oh hey I've got Fibre now, it's fantastic", so I ask "Oh? How was it with Chorus digging alongside your driveway and drilling a new box on your wall?" to which every single one has replied "Umm they used the same cable".... So it's not UFB then, it's their "Ultra Broadband" and it's a terrible name for consumers.

Peter Coleman
09-11-2014, 07:24 PM
VDSL is usually stated at around 30M/10M,but those speeds are only available at less than 1km from exchange or cabinet.At your distance you may get an increase but as Wainui said it would probably only get to round 10M down,but you may get quite a good increase in upstream speeds as well.Still,it's better than you are getting now.

Peter

DakotaNZ
09-11-2014, 08:34 PM
I am on fiber on a 30Mpbs plan, speed test usually show around the 22 mark. We have had fiber for a few years as we have built in a new area that only has fiber, but to tell ya the truth, it's been a bit of a pain in the expletive if you get my drift. It has been plagued with visits from chorus and swapping providers as no one really seems to know what they are doing with it. I am actually having to get an electrician in again this week to change some stuff around so that the star wiring will work properly....fingers crossed it actually does this time. Our neighbours who are also all on fiber have had issues too, mainly because it's still a bit experimental and those providing and installing it (at least in our area) don't seem to understand the ins and outs of it completely. Hope that helps with your decision making :)

gary67
09-11-2014, 08:38 PM
We have been on fibre for a year in Christchurch (older home) it took a couple of days to get it running as there was a problem at the box, but since then has been 100% stable (touch wood) be a pity to loose it when we leave early next year to return to Nelson

dugimodo
09-11-2014, 10:12 PM
I'd talk to your ISP again, while the exchange you are connected to might have VDSL you may be a bit far out to benefit from it. Ideally you should be within 900M to benefit fully.
check this graph 6020 if you are actually 1.8 km or more from your service provider there is nothing to be gained. Cabinets are easy to miss though.
Having said that are you talking about connection speed or your download speed? 1.8Km should get better than 5-6Mbps. Check your router DSL stats and post them here.