PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 to 7

ianhnz
08-11-2014, 06:44 PM
Hi guys.
Just visited an older couple, in their 70's' that have moved to a retirement village.
Because of size problems had to get rid of their beloved PC and buy a laptop.
Problem is that it runs windows 8 and they having a lot of trouble using it.
Their last one had windows 7 and they happy with that.
I didn't touch it because Vista is my limit, but have used 7.
They asked if anyway to goback to 7?
Anyone able to help?
Ian

wainuitech
08-11-2014, 06:56 PM
If the Laptop is Windows 8 Pro, then there's usually downgrade rights which can put it back to 7.

Other Wise you will need to obtain a copy of Windows 7 along with a Product key to install. Windows 8 will have to be completely removed and windows 7 installed as well as downloading all the drivers from the manufactures site (assuming they have W7 drivers for the model of laptop - Some don't).

coldot
08-11-2014, 08:55 PM
If it's the tiles that are of concern they may benefit from installing an application like Classic Start Menu (or some other free/almost free menu app). It can make the PC look more like Windows 7.

ianhnz
08-11-2014, 08:58 PM
Hi guys.
Just visited an older couple, in their 70's' that have moved to a retirement village.
Because of size problems had to get rid of their beloved PC and buy a laptop.
Problem is that it runs windows 8 and they having a lot of trouble using it.
Their last one had windows 7 and they happy with that.
I didn't touch it because Vista is my limit, but have used 7.
They asked if anyway to goback to 7?
Anyone able to help?
Ian

So I'll need to find out if it's the Pro version?

How do I do that?

notechyet
08-11-2014, 09:26 PM
So I'll need to find out if it's the Pro version?
How do I do that?
Press start-computer-right click-properties, there it is.

wainuitech
08-11-2014, 11:08 PM
You can also find the type, press the windows key, while on the start screen, type in Winver ( you don't need to click anywhere, just start typing) On the right in the results click on Winver, it will tell you in the window that opens.

wainuitech
09-11-2014, 09:15 AM
What you'll generally find as well, is if the laptop has downgrade options, there will be a set of recovery DVD's in the packaging to install Windows 7 if it came preinstalled with 8.

A few times I've set up New laptops, and you have the option when first booting to install what OS you wanted, 7 or 8.